How to be less shy when meeting new groups of people?

shy2cool

I am usually a happy/positive person around people I know. I do like to make people laugh/smile. However, I am not so good around new groups of people and sort of fade into the background.

How can I be more loud and less shy? Love to read some tips from people who have experienced the same thing.

I was once the exact same way up until I worked jobs that involved lots of customer service. I used to be incredibly shy and had absolutely no people skills AT ALL, and I seriously hated having to talk to other people. But, once I was exposed to interacting with customers face-to-face on a frequent basis, the confidence naturally came with it. So in my case, I exposed myself with the opportunity of building the confidence. It's a great approach, and you're getting paid in the meantime.

I've been working my hotel restaurant job for four years (and counting), had a brief stint in retail for a few months, and am currently working an office job which built up my confidence in handling phonecalls (which I used to loathe as I tend to get awkward over the phone). My jobs have helped me acquire skills and a newfound confidence that I use now outside of work - I have no problem being comfortable when meeting new people, etc.

I'm the same mate. Put me in a room of people I know and I'm a hoot! I meet people all day at work, and I do fine because i'm at work. Stick me in a new social setting and I clam up. I am just recently starting to push myself out there and just practice. Lager helps too.

I wish I knew the answer to your topic title as I struggle in the same area.

What's worked for me is to just keep trying to put myself out there..even if just by a little bit. (progress of little margin is still something I guess). How I do this is I actually will add my opinion into the subject that is being dicussed (sort of join in)...that's if I have an opinion on the particular subject lol!

5 Ice Breakers For One On One And G...
5 Ice Breakers For One On One And Group Situations

Archived