random stranger walking her dog

tom1607307597

Today I was walking back to my apartment and ran into this girl walking a rottweiler. Her dog kept checking out people that passed by and other random stuff. Anyway it started to check me out and she apologized for her dog acting up. So... how would a potential conversation in this situation go? I know there's not point wondering "what if" about how it went. Even though it was some random girl I ran into, I felt like I was too much of a nice guy. I managed to talk to her for about a minute and made a comment like "you know you're the ___th person I've seen walking their dog today" and then said stuff like "it's ok" or "no problem" when she was apologizing. I think I should have been more flirty or tried asking more questions like "so is your dog a he or a she".

That's the thing -- every situation is different, and there isn't time to think about it. Once you start thinking, it's over.

Maybe you should have asked what her dog's name was, if she (the young woman) lived around there, etc. Approach her as if you'd approach anyone. It's far easier to type out on a forum, of course. It seems like you just have to approach everyone regardless of what the outcome is. You might not ever see her again. Move on.

It's difficult to approach random people and have a conversation, even just a brief "Hello" if it isn't something you're used to doing. I'm beginning to do this myself, so I know how it feels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha... Today in the morning I leave the house and what I see - a bulldog doing something very inappropriate under my door.. I look up and see this handsome young man apologising for this... We walked a bit and I asked his pet's name. Nice reason for starting a conversation isnt it?=)

I think there is no person who has strong objections to talk.. Everyone is happy to communicate.Therefore we should not be reserved)

I guess there wasn't much too it: ask her dog's name and just chat for a little bit. What really gets me is I feel stupid for not at least getting her name, shaking her hand, etc even though I probably won't run into her again. Any regular person could pull that off, and I completely blanked out on simple stuff like that. Man why do I have to be so shy... really wish it wasn't like that sometimes.

Archived