Advice regarding a potential LDR

hear_her_roar
What To Do If They Cheat - Do this ...
What To Do If They Cheat - Do this First

Hey enotalone, I know I post questions very frequently, and really appretiate the helpful insight you guys provide. =)

Okay, so my partner (whom I've been happily living with for around seven months) might have to work on the road, due to the lack of jobs in his field in our city. While his home would still technically be with me, the positions he's looking at involve anywhere from two weeks to one month on the road before getting time off to go home. I was just wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation and could offer some advice for how to smoothly make the transition from seeing eachother every day to seeing eachother infrequently.

Although it sounds sissy, since moving in together I've developed this thing where I find it really hard to sleep without him beside me... I know it's a silly concern, but that would really be one of the hardest things for me to deal with. Another concern is that he doesn't have a cell phone (nor is he inclined to get one), so it's not like I'd be able to text him or anything... and our computer is the laptop I use for school, so email is relatively out of the question as well. I really don't want us to grow apart because of this.

Although this was a last resort for him, it's really looking like our only option if we both expect to work (something especially problematic, because I'm a student and can only afford to work part time). While neither of us are completely sold on the idea, I'm really starting to admit that it may be our only choice.

Any advice or stories would be awesome.

Although it sounds sissy, since moving in together I've developed this thing where I find it really hard to sleep without him beside me...

I don't have any advice for the rest of your post (sorry but I wanted to say I have this same problem! What helped me is sleeping with the dog in the bed. It gave me something living to cuddle up with and helped a ton.

I've had that problem too.. only I didn't have a dog to use, so I got a boomerang pillow to cuddle. It's not the same & not as warm.. but it did help.

I'm sorry for the situation you're in Sometimes absences can be great because you learn just how much you appreciate the other person & feel that rush of excitement everytime you meet up again.. plus you can do things like surprise visit each other if it can be arranged. I would have to suggest going over the phone thing again with him.. if he understands how much it means for you to be in touch, I would think he could handle getting one? Even if it was just at the start, till you got used to the idea of being apart.

Also, this may sound ridiculous.. but I've always been a big believer in puting money last. In the past I once chose to live with a partner with $60 between us for the week, just so that we could be together.. & I know that isn't possible for everyone, but to us it was important just having each other over anything else (not suggesting you do that by the way.. just giving you something to think about it).

Thanks guys... the thing is, I usually don't care about money, but he doesn't have a job right now and is going into debt because there is no way that I could pay for rent on my own while going to school, let alone rent, internet and gas and food... that's really the problem, we'd both be willing to try and go without cash, but we can't.

Archived