Meet Janet!

EQD

The rabid wolf spider!

I just got her in today, the pest guy came through for me and is inhibiting my dream.

I called her Janet because she is beautiful, and its the first thing that came to mind. You know... kinda like Janet Weiss off of Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Her whole body is a little larger than a 50 cent piece.

I had to stick her in the same cage as poor tiny Bob. Who thought about saying hi to her, but he wisely decided to hide instead.

bad photos because they were taken with my camera phone. . oh wells.

As far as i can tell she seems to be a rabid wolf spider. 'rabidosa' (?)

At least that is what i am hoping.

Slim chance she may be a funnel, thanks to the crappy resources online dealing with spiders i have yet to double confirm.

If anyone could help that would be great.

She looks like other wolf spiders I've seen! One used to live in a corner of the stairs of my porch. I felt a little badly that I always used to disturb it, every time I came to or left my apartment, but then I thought "haha, your silly mistake for putting your nest here!"

Wait, so where did you get her? Someone brought her to you?

Can you keep spiders of different species together? How do they interact?

She looks like other wolf spiders I've seen! One used to live in a corner of the stairs of my porch. I felt a little badly that I always used to disturb it, every time I came to or left my apartment, but then I thought "haha, your silly mistake for putting your nest here!"

Wait, so where did you get her? Someone brought her to you?

Can you keep spiders of different species together? How do they interact?

wolf spiders dont build 'nests' or webs. thats why they are so easy to keep compared to other spiders. funnel spiders make the little cots and funnel to hide in. bug drops down, spider comes out.

the pest guy brought her to me. i asked him to keep any he might catch and to let me have them.

as for species. if she finds Bob she will most likely kill him.

Spiders are solitary and opportunistic. Even if i got a Mr. Weiss of the same size there is a chance that she would kill and eat him. Unless he played his cards right.

Then he would get lucky.

I feel sorry for Bob - suddenly this giant Amazon male eating spider appears in his cozy home...

such is life. i am confident he will make it until i get her in another tank.

i arranged some rocks that are inaccessable to her that he likes to hide in.

janet is a very gorgeous spider.

i stuck a few leaves in the cage that eventually curled up and made for a perfect 'bed' for her.

tonight i am going to go get some crickets to feed her. and a 10 gallon tank so she can have more room to hunt.

gosh!.

i just rearranged her tank, i used a divider so she couldnt come over to my hand if she were so inclined. When i removed her leaves (because i'm going to be getting her better ones) she just exploded out from her hiding spot and looked like she was going to bite the * * * * out of the pair of scissors i was using to pick up the leaves with. Then she exploded again towards my face (which was secure and safe on the other side of the glass)

Its not at all like Bob. When Bob freaked out it was fine. Janet is 20 times larger than Bob, and alot faster.

I saw her fangs when she was eating her first cricket. They are alot bigger than i expected they would be.

Ah Janet. so beautiful, so dangerous and hostile.... i am in admiration and fear of her constantly lol.

Eventually this will blow over, when i get used to her crazy butt dashing around her little enclosure.

thats all i hear when i look at her.

hopefully i'll never be in a situation that calls for her biting me.

i'm never going to pick her up, she cant jump, and i have a divider. whew.

You should have seen the fangs on this girl! impressive and humbling.

thats all i hear when i look at her.

hopefully i'll never be in a situation that calls for her biting me.

i'm never going to pick her up, she cant jump, and i have a divider. whew.

You should have seen the fangs on this girl! impressive and humbling.

Why not cap her fangs with Gold? She'll take on a menacing gangsterism look and give her some street cred.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that i didnt see this coming, but Janet was acting strangely. I noticed there was still a cricket in her cage from 4 days ago. So i peeked into the little hut i made for her. And there she was.... a little white sack underneath her, she is spinning her sack.

Its pretty interesting she dug a little hollow out of the dirt and spun some web so it looks like she is in a dome of sorts, i guess thats to keep predators from getting to her when she is doing the 'sac' thing.

Once she is finished i am going to have to let her go, wolf spider babies once hatched and mature enough to leave the mom spread like wildfire. Its a beautifully sad ending, but either way i ensured that she was happy, safe, and well fed throughout her pregnancy.

Spider search 09 continues.

A bit of an update, i'm watching it as i am typing, Janets egg went from white to light blue and kept darkening until it turned black. Today she emerged from her cave after it looked like she was chewing on it and she deposited the small black egg sack.

Now she is drumming her pedipalps profusely and... wait.. she is picking it up again...

anyway she was drumming and then went back to her cave and appeared to be ripping up or modifying her den where she spun the sac. She was very active during this time waving her arms and drumming... i didnt know females drummed.

But anyway her little shriveled black egg is back in her pedi's and i cant tell if she is eating it or not. usually they carry their egg under their abdoment, which is what she was doing yesterday after she finished it...

I'm wondering if the ag-lime she dug into at the bottom of the cage did this to her egg (??)

I'm a little upset that i put it in there now, although it has no adverse effects on the spiders themselves it may have caused her eggs to fail.. and that makes me sad

Archived