Therapy

FallenStar87

Only lately, after 10 years, I've started to deal with my past. When I was 11 I was molested, I kept it secret for years, but 2 years ago the fate forced me to break my silence. Now I'm in therapy, I've just started it so I dunno what's gonna happen. My therapist seems nice and empathic but there are so many things that need to be fixed (a ridiculously dysfunctional family and all its consequences) that sometimes I wonder whether I'll make it through or not. I just would like to hear about your experience, did therapy really work for you? How did your therapist approach your problems?

Any word from someone who REALLY knows would be helpful.

PS. I reported the abuser to the police and in a few weeks there will be the sentence. : )

I've had alot of therapy so I can give you some of my experience.

The first time I ever went to therapy was when I was 19. I was feeling really disillusioned with life but the lady I went to see was so helpful and we got to the problem.

Then again, about two years later, I went to see a councilor in my college. We just talked about stuff and he was able to help me.

These guys were all mycologists, not psychiatrists, and at the time I didn't know the difference. When I eventully went to a psychiatrist to see if I had aspergers syndrome, I left very unhappy. They told me I was depressed and offered me anti-depressants. Now I didn't feel depressed before I went into them but I sure as hell did going home.

From my own experiance, I would caition you against going to phychiaratrists simply because they will probably diagnose you with something, it is there job after all. The way they get to the issues can be upsetting too. Not that the ones I went to see were mean, they just opened doors I think were best left shut.

My advice is to stick to a good phycoligist. Talking about your problems to someone trained to listen is, I found, much better than someone trained to diagone a mental health disorder.

Hope this helps you.

Only lately, after 10 years, I've started to deal with my past. When I was 11 I was molested, I kept it secret for years, but 2 years ago the fate forced me to break my silence. Now I'm in therapy, I've just started it so I dunno what's gonna happen. My therapist seems nice and empathic but there are so many things that need to be fixed (a ridiculously dysfunctional family and all its consequences) that sometimes I wonder whether I'll make it through or not. I just would like to hear about your experience, did therapy really work for you? How did your therapist approach your problems?

Any word from someone who REALLY knows would be helpful.

PS. I reported the abuser to the police and in a few weeks there will be the sentence. : )

Well done for reporting it hun, and good luck for the conviction.

All i can say is you have to just keep plodding through. it is easy to become overwhelmed by how much there is to talk about. but you will get there. don't let nerves, or the horrible tingly feeling you get before you go to therapy, or the emotional draining it takes out of you, stop you from going back. Therapy does work. And you are doing the right thing. Therapy won't fix a dysfunctional family, but it will help you to come to terms with it, and to understand yourself; your thoughts and feelings as a consequence of your childhood, that you now see in the adult you.

talking really does help, but you need to be open. you need to want to try therapy fairly and honestly. you need to lead the sessions. you need to be open. you need to feel a personal connection to your therapist to want to tell them things, you need to be able to tell them everything, and anything. things you can't tell everyone else. its sometimes worth shopping around until you find the therapist right for you.

Good luck.

xxxxx

Hi, I've recently (within the last year) stopped seeing my pshycologist. There were many ways in which we addressed issues (sexual abuse)- these included mediatitation, dicussing nightmares, analysing feelings of resentment and anger, just talking. It all really helps to have someone who is obligied by law to keep thing confidential, its a place where you need to feel comfortable (i went through a few therapists till found a lady i clicked with).

Dont worry if your not "fixed" right away. Things like this takes time to heal from. I have also been to a psyhciatrist, i was diagnosed with anxiety and major depression and was given a prescription which i am still on, you feel the difference when you go off them, they give you a lift which makes you feel better about your mood.

Congratulations on getting so far with your trial and i hope he gets a bloody lengthy sentence!

It does take time, and it does take a therapist who has the right kind of rapport with you. Some therapists use methods that might not work for you, or others might be nice, but not really jibe with you.

I`ve been to 3 different ones. The first was really aggressive and made my problems seem even worse, so I was crying and depressed after every session. The second had me talk and talk and talk, but did very little to change my thinking patterns.

I tend to respond well to debate and logic, so the therapist who worked best for me was one who wasn`t afraid to stop my talking and argue that my way of thinking was wrong. We would often end up having debates. He also gave me a lot of reading and homework to do, because I liked UNDERSTANDING things instead of just accepting things.

So even if you think your therapist is nice, do you have a feeling that you are making SOME progress? Do you feel like you are on the right track or just spinning your wheels? Although therapy does take some time, if you aren`t feeling like they are helping, you might try another one with a different approach.

Archived