Massage Therapy... good idea?

Here's a bit of my background. I'm a 19 year old college sophomore who can't make up my mind I was a music major but came to realize that there was no money to be made (and a very stressful life ahead) especially if you don't want to teach. So I'm switching to International Studies. I plan to go to graduate school, maybe to major in German, Museum Studies, or god knows what right now.

The other day, I started thinking about going into massage therapy as a side job. It would definitely help me through graduate school. I've been doing tons of research, have a meeting with a local school on Monday, and realize that it will cost me $10-15 k in about 12-15 months. The thing is, so far I've made it through two years of undergrad school without having to take out any loans yet.

I just have a couple of questions for any massage therapists/those in school/those considering school. Is it really as great a job as it seems? I keep hearing about all of the job opportunities for therapists. I was also wondering how great of a school I will need to attend. The one I'm considering is a scientific school. It began as a medical/therapy school but is also now a business school. Is that bad? Would something like that keep me from finding work?

Thanks!

My best friend is a massage therapists. He enjoys it also finds it very difficult some of the time. First thing where we live in Canada you must be registered.

This means you must take a test and have license to practice it. About 70% of your studies will be in the field and science of Kinesiology.

When you get out there you really have 2 choices. Sport or Recreation message therapy. Sport you help people with injury through massage and other forms of therapy.

Recreation is you usually work at a spa or resort and help people relax.

Depending on the place you work it may be paid by the hour or by client. It depends on the place. Like any career there are scummy employeers and great ones you just need to find a place that works for you.

You are working on human bodies and you are going to see some disgusting things be prepared for that also.

Also you must be very weary of the number of clients you see in a day. My friend limits himself to a max of 4. This is cause it very strenuous on your body and hands. Any more could lead to long term problems such as carpal tunnel, and with out your hands you are out of a career.

That being said if you do enjoy interacting and helping people it might be the right career for you.

My best friend is a massage therapist but to get a good job in the field she had to study a 4 year Myotherapy course - it's basically a science degree. That being said, I'm sure there are other ways into the career and she absolutely loves it! If you're a people person, friendly, and open-minded I think it would be a great job.

I've known a lot of people who went to 1-2 year community college. Unless you are in a doctor's office / chiro's office, which a lot of people fight for, you can get some very unprofessional people. Apparently guys naturally get excited with massages and some get very angry if you don't help them finish it off.

You'll be on your feet all day, it's a physically exhausting job for little pay. Here they get paid 12-15$/hr, so nothing exciting there.

Why do you think it is so great?

I went to school for it but I don't use it. I don't even tell guys I meet that I did because they start hinting at inappropriate stuff and it pisses me off. Friends start asking for massages... everyone wants to be your test subject. If I had a penny for every time someone has said "You can practice on me anytime you want!" I have to resist the urge to smack them.

I think a scientific school would be fantastic place to learn massage from. Definitely make sure the school is reputable because there are a lot of BS schools for massage out there.

Apparently guys naturally get excited with massages and some get very angry if you don't help them finish it off.

That is very illegal. And they teach you how to handle situations like that (at least my school did. An entire class devoted to handle difficult situations). That's one of the reasons why I don't use it... I attract freaks as it is. Almost naked freaks? No thanks.

Ladybug! LMAO.This reminds me so much of the Seinfield episode where Jerry is dying for a massage, etc. from the girl he's dating and she won't give it up.

Actually I have a friend who basically just gives massages at a spa. She's has a certificate I think. And it seems to me it's like any regular job. She works part time and goes to school too for the most part. And it seems to give her a decent income for her big shopping habit. That's about it though.

Haven't heard any complaints from her. But I think I wouldn't spend 10-15 K on something I didn't plan to do for a long time. I'd do what she did and just get a certificate and work for a spa or something.

Btw Mousty, what do you mean by morals? Mostly massaging doesn't mean giving up ones. (Unless someone does illegal massage stuff.

The amount of money you make can vary quite a bit. If you work in a clinic, most massage therapists make $11-15 per hour (at least around here) and no tips (which hints at those inappropriate extras). If you can build up your own customer base though and do it on your own (harder than it sounds, especially in this economy), you can charge $50+ per hour. That means doing it out of your home or carrying a travel table around.

You can probably also do it almost anywhere in the world depending on the school, the regulations of the area, etc. I think it would be cool to move to the Caribbean or somewhere tropical and give massages on the beach.

Btw Mousty, what do you mean by morals? Mostly massaging doesn't mean giving up ones. (Unless someone does illegal massage stuff.

Yes I meant the illegal happy endings =P I don't consider that very moral.

Apparently my bf's ex used to do massage therapy at home and charge a flat fee of 40$. She bought her own massage table and stuff. It was mostly people she knew (friends and family) that would come and pay for her services.

I think it would be quite hard to actually start a private business without having prior client base (other than "friends & family") (I just noticed lady bug said the same thing haha)

It comes down to if you find that the 11-15$ average salary is enough for you to consider it or not. Personally, it isn't for me; but I'm also done all my studies.

I know people who have done massage therapy and they seem to get paid in the $25 plus range.

What pays well is rolfing. since most of them are independent and it costs around $75 an hour, that's what you get... of course there are your overhead costs as well...but why would anyone do massage therapy for $11 / hour i doubt anywhere pays THAT low... you can get that working at Mcdonalds

I guess it depends on your region but McDonalds doesn't pay more than 8$/hour here.

Massage therapy doesn't pay well here, the therapists are a dime a dozen.

Well yeah Mcdee's can pay differently in different places..

however, what is that saying about massage if it only plays $3 an hour more than mcdonalds? That's awful!!

Well yeah Mcdee's can pay differently in different places..

however, what is that saying about massage if it only plays $3 an hour more than mcdonalds? That's awful!!

I'm not saying it's not awful it doesn't. I totally agree since most went through a year of college at the minimum (most is only one but I know some that are 2 or 3). They probably put additional expenses rent, tuition, massage table etc...

That's also why most don't stay in the career path other than having to deal with the happy endings... it doesn't pay here :S

It's also somewhat physical work (not in a bad sense), so it's very straining on the body!

The spa center here usually makes a huge cut, while you get the tiny salary.

Archived