This is the kind of news you want when you don't have a JOB

My Apt building was taken over by new owners in 2006 and they have raised my rent $55 every year since then. Today I received a letter from them and I was like

"oh boy this is what I need to see a rent increase while I have no job"

But I read the letter saying my lease is up in May and that starting in June my rent will remain the same. Can you believe that???? It's like they know I'm jobless and trying to be nice-lol This was a great way to end the week and i'm so glad they decided to keep my rent the same since unemployment checks are NOTHING.

I Feel GOOD!!!!

My Apt building was taken over by new owners in 2006 and they have raised my rent $55 every year since then. Today I received a letter from them and I was like

"oh boy this is what I need to see a rent increase while I have no job"

But I read the letter saying my lease is up in May and that starting in June my rent will remain the same. Can you believe that???? It's like they know I'm jobless and trying to be nice-lol This was a great way to end the week and i'm so glad they decided to keep my rent the same since unemployment checks are NOTHING.

I Feel GOOD!!!!

"Whoa-oa-oa! I feel good, I knew that I would, now

I feel good, I knew that I would, now

So good, so good, I got you"

courtesy of James Brown!

No rent increase is always a pleasant surprise.

Did you know that you can actually refuse rent raises and renew your contract? lol =)

If it's a high rise, they usually will just accept it and move on.

Not sure I know what you mean. How could I say I'm not paying the increase and still live here without the LAW involved?-lol

"at the time of the renewal of the lease, a landlord is free to ask a rent increase that he deems just and reasonable in his notice that he remits to his tenant. The tenant has the right to accept or to refuse that increase within one month following the receipt of the landlord’s notice."

link removed

I always pick the option: "I refuse the proposed modifications

and I renew my lease." They totally never bother going through all the trouble for the extra 20$ a month.

I would only go this route if you are not attached to the location of rent (I'm super not) and could pick up and leave.

"at the time of the renewal of the lease, a landlord is free to ask a rent increase that he deems just and reasonable in his notice that he remits to his tenant. The tenant has the right to accept or to refuse that increase within one month following the receipt of the landlord’s notice."

link removed

Well I already know that, they give you a option of renewing and need a answer by the date on the form. I never said they can increase the rent and YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT

I always pick the option: "I refuse the proposed modifications

and I renew my lease."

And if you're a good tenant- you pay on time and don't trash the place- they might actually not want to be bothered finding someone NEW to rent their place....just to make a little extra each month. So they let you renew the contract without increasing the rent.

Glad to hear that your rent was not raised, CD.

Yeah, I would obviously not try that option if they were looking for excuses to kick me out.

The fact is that they have to file a counter claim within 30 days. When they are looking at 700 other lease agreements at the same time as yours, they won't bother if you have excellent standing with them.

Well I already know that, they give you a option of renewing and need a answer by the date on the form. I never said they can increase the rent and YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT

I think they are pretty clever and that that "option" is never on the sheet they give you. I believe for us, the only checkbox we get is "I accept the raise in prices and want to renew."

Good news, but they are still a bunch of *beep*'s for doing that to you the other years. FInd a new landlord either way. Those kind of people just suck.

The Owner before they took over raised the rent 85 dollars over a span of 7 years

Not the case with the new owners which is why I was so shocked-lol

Your pay definitely contributed to the situation yet fact remain, you are in a gold mine. All property managers are raising prices 2day based on the economy. Mine have not as of yet for the same reason. I am as loyal as they come. The managers do not want to lose me. I am a gold mine for them until RE values hit bottom.

Your pay definitely contributed to the situation yet fact remain, you are in a gold mine. All property managers are raising prices 2day based on the economy. Mine have not as of yet for the same reason. I am as loyal as they come. The managers do not want to lose me. I am a gold mine for them until RE values hit bottom.

Yeah I thought because of the economy it would go up for sure

Really? I thought the opposite, as house prices are going down... rent might not rise as fast.

I can't speak for the US or Canada, although I suspect it's similar, but in the UK rents are rising at their fastest level for years precisely because of the fall in house prices and the current economic climate. People are unable to sell their houses or make their mortgage payments, and the number of repossessions and subsequently vacant properties has sky-rocketed. As a result, the pressure on the rental sector has increased dramatically, and with that rental prices have risen 20% in the last year alone.

When home ownership decreases, which correlates with decreased house prices (because of reduced purchase demand), rental prices usually go up.

Really? I thought the opposite, as house prices are going down... rent might not rise as fast.

Typically, that is the case. The current environment is attracting more to move in with friends, parents, etc. Rents are struggling today when they should be thriving. You are right, that should be the case, and maybe in some neighborhoods. The market as a whole, is just that weak right now.

Yeah, I live in a very sheltered section of the economy. 60-65% of people are federal workers, which means almost no one looses their job.

In fact, I don't know anyone in this area who lost their job... =)

The house prices are somewhat going down, but nothing dramatic. I think we are mostly feeling the residual effects from the rest of the economy.

Archived