Taking a trip to ponder my life - where to go?

Orlander

My ex and I separated over three years ago. She's married now (very quickly) and I have yet to get to the place where I can find anyone. I dont know if its me or the world but I obviously need to take some time to really think about things.

I haven't really taken inventory of my life lately and don't have a path to follow as far as ambitions, passion or dreams. My life just fell apart after my relationship ended.

I focused on work and taking care of the things financially and in my career and have been very successful. I've finally accomplished the financial and career based objectives that I had been working towards for nearly 15 years.

I'd like to take a trip someplace to just relax, read, take in some sites, do some walking, exploring maybe and just get my head together...focus on the next phase of my life, what I want to accomplish, where to go in my career, what are my passions and maybe answer the question of why I haven't been able to get over my ex fully or find someone worthwhile to date, marry and have a family with.

A lot to ask maybe, but advice is welcome. I'll consider going anywhere. Money really isn't an issue.

i went on a road trip to alaska last fall...just me and my car...and a few other things. it was very liberating. i like driving though. i find it allows me to ponder things like nothing else. it was an escape. it made me appreciate all of the things in my life that i had going for me at the time. personally...i'd suggest going somewhere that will blow you away...but will also make you think about important things...if it's reflection you're after. i find a lot of people get away to forget...don't really think that ever solves anything though. you forget for awhile...which is definitely beneficial...but i don't think the experience can really be all that meaningful that way.

Well when I was in the process of losing everything I took a road trip accross the country, my aim was to figure out where I'd like to relocate to. Funny thing is I ended up at home, took a trip this last January to Florida and fell in love. It's one of the places I didn't road trip to.

I'd say depends what you like. Do you like desert, tropical, or skiing? I'd pick Colorado, or Hawaii, or the Bahamas or something, maybe get out of the U.S. for a while.

If you want to gather yourself and relax I'd recommend tropical, it's more peaceful.

Enjoy your trip!

here are two great suggestions: fly to Oregon, rent a car and drive the length of the Oregon coast. you could go at your own pace and there are awesome views around every bend in the road -- a great side trip would be to visit Crater Lake.

or -- make a trip to the rain forest region of Washington state and tie it in with a trip to Seattle and Mount Ranier. either of these trips will be great for your soul and give you some amazing memories.

i find that going some place new is truly one of the best ways to add an extra dimension to your life that you can't experience in any other way! good luck!

i am finalizing my own divorce right now and i hope to make a trip like this some day myself!

So far I have Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Australia. Driving is always great but I feel like beating the streets someplace, taking in sight and smell and feeling the cities.

I'm really open to anyplace in the world. Australia sounds fantastic. So does Alaska. I should probably be traveling the US in search of a better place to live than brown Vegas, but maybe for this trip I might focus just on exotic locations. Although...DC and area might be interesting.

Anyone have any trips to Hawaii, Europe, Africa, Tibet, Japan and then were just transformed or had their lives altered in some substantial way? That's maybe what I am looking for. Not many people get to go on solo adventures anywhere in the world. I'd love this to be something I always remember.

It's hard to suggest really without knowing what you like. If you just want a change of scene, something easy and relaxing, and some peace then there are a ton of places in the US where you would have a great time. You are lucky to live in a country where you have a lot of fantastic natural scenery and parks, it is just a case of picking what sort of place you like and go. Is this what you are after? Something in the wilderness with awe inspiring natural scenery?

Or do you want something culturally different to what you are used to? If this what you are after then maybe looking abroad might be good, just to get a totally different perspective on life and other people and cultures. Japan would be a eye opener just as it's so different to other cultures. Europe is a good idea because it gives the opportunity to visit a lot of countries that are very different but are fairly close geographically. I'm lucky to live in Europe and practically on my doorstep there are lots of great places. Just an hours flight and I can go to a country that speaks a different language, does things totally different and has a hell of a lot to see and do. For example Belgium borders France, Germany, The Netherlands, and Luxembourg. You can just see so much different stuff without having to travel a long long way to do it in Europe which is an advantage.

What sort of holiday where you looking for?

gosh i havent seen you on here in forever!

i would go to Alaska, or the coast. And maybe the Canyon.

I personally love Charleston, SC.

I dont know what it is about that place.... it stole my heart.

Anyone have any trips to Hawaii, Europe, Africa, Tibet, Japan and then were just transformed or had their lives altered in some substantial way? That's maybe what I am looking for. Not many people get to go on solo adventures anywhere in the world. I'd love this to be something I always remember.

my SO has strongly suggested avoiding France.

He also said that hawaii wasnt 'that' special. But he did highly recommed Dusseldorf, germany in general, and belgium.

Well, Hawaii is a place that many people come to and find stunning...that's what I'm told anyway. But since I've lived here all my life, it's hard to see with fresh eyes. I CAN say that every visitor I've shown around has just "wowed" all the way through, so I guess it's a matter of personal taste...

I myself would like to go to New Zealand...I hear it's incredibly beautiful, with coastline and rolling hills....and it's a very clean place, too....

As for countries, Italy still has my heart, for its soul and vibrance and ancient feeling...the ruins everywhere echo with the voices of ages past, and I love that...and the countrysides are so relaxing....Italians are about friendship and ease and joy and food and art, not rushing around and proving oneself....I love the culture...

But I still say Hawaii....say hi, if you come. Good to see you here again, been a while...

If you like hiking, I went to Nepal in November for a month and treked in the Himalaya's. It's a georgous country and the people are extremely friendly.

The big costs are the airfares. Once you are there, it's very cheap for accommodation and food.

You need to be pretty fit as the treks are typically about 6hrs every day varying from about 7 to 20 days in length, depending on what area you are travelling through.

Something like this will change your life. We are not talking vacation here.....more like adventure, especially if you do the Anapurna circuit or the Everest treks.

Another option is safari through Tanzania. One of the most beautiful countries in Africa. It has the Serengeti, Mt Kilimanjaro and Zanzibar Islands. Another great adventure waiting to happen.

Life changing experiences.

A month in each of these places will cost about $5000 including airfares and tours.

Let me know if you want any more ideas. I've been everywhere except Europe.

my SO has strongly suggested avoiding France.

He also said that hawaii wasnt 'that' special. But he did highly recommed Dusseldorf, germany in general, and belgium.

Ive been to France a couple of times. I havent been to Hawaii but my best friend is Hawaiian and loves it. I think I am interested in more of a trek though...not sure. I can meditate on what I want to think about in one place or take in new sites and scenery by traveling to unknown regions. Not sure which is better.

If you are physically active, treking is a really great way to see a country. If Nepal is not a part of the world you want to see, there is always South Ameica. You can do the Inca trails in Peru with will go up through Machu Pichu. That can sometimes get a little crowded, depending on what time of year you go.

Nepal is probably me favorate country for treking. There is pot growing wild on the side of the trails....so that was a big bonus for me. There are not that many americians that go to these places. I only met a couple in a whole month. Most other travellers are from England, Australia, Holand and New Zealand...with a mix of Germans thrown in.

Check out link removed to see a whole lot of great stuff to do. They are based out of California and do everything all over the planet.

Thank you Fireman Sam. Yes, I am very active and love to hike/travel. I'm looking into the site you recommended as well as trips to Japan, Nepal and China.

Still looking for recs. What trips has anyone taken that has changed their lives? I dont expect to go on a trip that will change my life, but would like to potentially maximize the potential.

What about somewhere where civilization is quite old....

To me, there is a certain peace to touching something that was built by human hands hundreds, or even thousands of years ago. To me, there's just something about making that physical connection to the past. Understanding that people have faced similar (and much greater) challenges, heartache and triumph as we do today- and the world keeps on turning.... I won't say it makes me feel less significant- but it reminds me that I am a part of something so much greater than my own little world.

I'd love to go to Pompeii or Hurculaneum someday to see the remanants of the villages when Vesuvius went off...apparently there are things that seem frozen in time and you can see pretty much exactly how life was for these people.

I think it's a great idea to travel to clear your mind...but in the end it all comes down to what interests you. For me it's ancient civilization...I practically drool at the thought of Egypt, Greece or Rome...

Whatever you do, enjoy!

PS- why not post this question on the travel forum?

Even though I've never been, I'd pick Italy because there are so many great cities to visit; Rome, Venice, Milan, Florence and there's also beautiful countryside. They also tend to view life differently than we do here in North America; it's more of a work to live attitude rather than live to work and since you've been focusing on your career for so long it might be a good change of pace for you.

What about your ancestory? Do you have any desire to explore that?

Archived