Shapely leg advice...

Ok I work out 3-5 times a week. I do cardio, and do resistance training.

But I want nicer tighter, firmer shaplier legs, especially my thighs.

I used to ride a bike almost everyday, and I want to start riding again.

Will this tighten up what other workouts don't? I am shooting to ride

5 miles a day....to start out..35 miles a week.

Any tips or suggestions on getting shaplier gams?

air squats. front squats, back squats... box jumps...

um... those are good to start with.

i do cf, it conditions the whole body. great results. those mentioned above are only some of whats in the program.

Squats, dead lifts, and calf raises are all good exercises for legs. I always had better results with targeted weight training of each muscle group (quads, hamstrings, calves) than with cycling. Although cycling is a great form of cardio so it certainly won't hurt. But if you really want to define the muscles in your legs, weight training will do it.

You can find lots of good exercises and demos for them here link removed

Thanks all.

My diet is pretty good. I try to eat good during the week, but I have cheat days.

I usually use freeweights but lately I have been using resistance bands...the changable ones for more resistance. I wanted to try some isometric exercises because I feel like it lenghtens the muscles rather than just making them bulky. So far I like it, but am wondering if maybe I should do both freeweights and resitance bands?

When you say your diet is 'pretty good' what do you mean?

How many times a day are you eating? When are you eating? what are you eating? do you know the percentage of protein/fats and carbs..(and not just a guestimate!)

You can be working out 3 hours a day..but if your diet is bad you wont' see the results.

Walking and climbing stairs gives you great looking legs. You can even take at walk at work on your lunch hour, or walk up and down the building stairs for 10 minutes now and again when you take a break. If you do that a couple times a day and on your lunch hour, you will have squeezed in 45 minutes working on your legs every day!

Bike riding is all you need, but 5 miles a day won't do you much good. Up that to 10 miles every other day to start, and then add 15% every week until you are up to 50 miles per ride. Do that twice a week, and you're golden.

it all depends on the person.. I ride up hills probably 2 hours a day 6 days a week...but I still need to do running, weights and swimming and eating carefully to maintain my weight.

Some people all they have to do is go to the gym 4 times a week and they are fine... other people need to do a LOT of work to keep it off.

it all depends on the person.. I ride up hills probably 2 hours a day 6 days a week...but I still need to do running, weights and swimming and eating carefully to maintain my weight.

Some people all they have to do is go to the gym 4 times a week and they are fine... other people need to do a LOT of work to keep it off.

This is a simple formula. Calories in vs. calories out. Everyone is the same. If you're putting in 12 hour weeks on the bike every week then your weight should be stable, but it might mean changing your diet before you're going to see any actual weight loss if that's what you're going for.

However, I see a lot of overweight folks in lower racing categories with beer guts and the legs of an adonis. For almost everyone, cycling really is all it takes. However, it may take a year or do before your body really starts to change. It's not an overnight fix.

This is a simple formula. Calories in vs. calories out. Everyone is the same. If you're putting in 12 hour weeks on the bike every week then your weight should be stable, but it might mean changing your diet before you're going to see any actual weight loss if that's what you're going for.

However, I see a lot of overweight folks in lower racing categories with beer guts and the legs of an adonis. For almost everyone, cycling really is all it takes. However, it may take a year or do before your body really starts to change. It's not an overnight fix.

I'm not looking for a fix... or to lose weight.. I'm just saying that some people need to work harder than others to be at a certain level.

I have friends who are bigger... and they eat so heathily... and I have friends who are sticks who eat junk all day.

• 3 weeks later...

Its good u do a general workout regularly - something i really need to start doing - but there are specific exercises u can do for shapely legs. Theres alot about it everywhere if u look it up in google. One is to stand straight then lift yourself up onto you tip toes and hold for 5 seconds then go back down and repeat. About ten minutes a day even, should be enough. It really helps define your calf muscles which gives your legs a nice toned, shapely appearance. U can also try the abtronic - i bought one years ago for very cheap off ebay. It really works, ive used to use it all the time. Buy one in good condition or new and it will last years and years. Mine was second hand and it still works perfectly. What it does is it send painless electronic signals to your muscles and contracts them for you. It works out those really hard to reach places safely and effectively. Its great to tone the butt region, which is a hard place to work on. With great results! But follow and read all instructions before use if u chose to buy one. Hope this helps!

Pilates Bar Legs and Glutes Workout
Pilates Bar Legs and Glutes Workout

Archived