two difficult choices

CleanSlate
40 Choices Quotes
40 Choices Quotes

This question is for those who are understanding adults. I am undecided on an issue, but ultimately will make my own choice.

My question is: If you had done something that was punishable by law (but in your mind, justified) and you were looking at spending 10-20 yrs in prison, would you take your own life? Keep in mind, you are not a criminal. If you had two children under the age of 8, would you stay alive (even though you really don't want to live) for them?

10-20 yrs prison? Teribble! I think I would try find a way to breakout like in PrisonBreak

Anyway no I wouldnt kill myself..Especially If I had kids..

I think its hard for them to deal with the Daddy going to a prison, and if he kills himself, it would be too much for them! They would think Daddy does not love them enough, cuz he is leaving them!

And If I was not rlly criminal.. maybe there is ways to fix something with the ppl so they reduce your years in the prison, or something in that sort. Anyway I wouldnt give up so fast..

Definitely,

Suicide tells your kids they aren't worth living for. 10 years is less than ALL years. In 10 years you can see your kids get married, have children and be present in your granndchildren's life.

If you love your kids enough to consider them in this situation, then you have something to offer them even IF you have done something terrible-(I assume it wasn't to them?!?!)

Prison shows your kids that choices have consequences, and that you will accept yours (BTW- if you did something that is against the law and is punishable by 10-20 years, then I hate to break it to you, but you are, in fact, a criminal- just not a career one). Then take that time to improve yourself, availing yourself of whatever resources the system offers you. If you feel what you did was justified, that means it was worth the price. So prison is the price. Suicide is a cop-out.

Good luck to you, if this is your circumstance. Don't abandon your children. They need your love, even if from behind a prison.....

If you had done something that was punishable by law (but in your mind, justified) and you were looking at spending 10-20 yrs in prison, would you take your own life? ...

I'm so sorry for the desperation I hear in your voice. You must be experiencing tremendous pain to cause you to write this. I am assuming your are writing about yourself.

If you know in your own mind you are not a criminal, then it makes even less sense to commit suicide. It doesn't matter how society labels you. You are a mother or a father of two who isn't a criminal. That provides no rationale for taking your own life, at which time you'll become a criminal for taking the mother or father of two children away from them.

I would encourage you to think of how you would feel if one of your children were to move away from you for 10 years. Would you want them killing themselves because of it? Of course not. Nor do they wish that for you.

This world has far too many mothers and fathers who run out when times get tough. I don't believe you are one of them or you would never have showed up here. You have lots to live for--keep looking forward and let us know how we can help.

Archived