From what I saw on Fox News, Job Fairs look to be a waste a time

I never been to one before and was debating should I go to one next week and watched Fox News today and they showed how tons of people were standing in line in Florida and how the line was around the corner. Why do I want to include myself with all the other unemployed people in my local area at a job fair? What would I acomplish by doing that? Especially if I have to stand in line for 2 hours to get into a place. Has anyone ever accomplish anything going to a job fair?

Not as big a waste of time as staying home.

well that depends on what you are doing while you are at home. You do know it's possible to accomplish more at home than at a job fair right? It depends on how creative the person is. But have you have success going to a job fair?? If not then you shouldn't be commenting on me staying home

You get to meet prospective employers face to face. That's always good.. What do you expect in this economy? Of course there are going to be tons of people trying to get jobs. Competition is fierce. But why is going to the job fair with all those people any different than applying for jobs online? You email them your resume and cover letter along with hundreds of other people. Is that a big waste of time too?

You get to meet prospective employers face to face. That's always good.. What do you expect in this economy? Of course there are going to be tons of people trying to get jobs. Competition is fierce. But why is going to the job fair with all those people any different than applying for jobs online? You email them your resume and cover letter along with hundreds of other people. Is that a big waste of time too?

I just don't have any interest in standing in a long line when I can be soing something else. Now if it's not the case then I willing to check it out but standing in line is causing me to lose hours of productivity at home and when I say that I don't mean applying to jobs online.

well i need a response from someone on this board who succeeded in going to a job fair.

Years ago I went to a job fair and met someone who was upper management at a small biotech company. I ended up getting a job at that company because of that contact. The company was a terrible place and I lasted 6 months there (as did many others)..but the point is that something had come out of that job fair.

Years ago I went to a job fair and met someone who was upper management at a small biotech company. I ended up getting a job at that company because of that contact. The company was a terrible place and I lasted 6 months there (as did many others)..but the point is that something had come out of that job fair.

So you were interviewed at the fair by that company's representative?

Job Fairs work very well when they are recruiting new college graduates, and many college graduates do get hired via job fair/recruiting activities companies perform on campus.

And sometimes other experienced professionals can get jobs thru job fairs, but it is not always as productive. You're better off scouring the web and contacts and sending resumes in in response to particular jobs though.

Job Fairs work very well when they are recruiting new college graduates, and many college graduates do get hired via job fair/recruiting activities companies perform on campus.

And sometimes other experienced professionals can get jobs thru job fairs, but it is not always as productive. You're better off scouring the web and contacts and sending resumes in in response to particular jobs though.

I remember my grandmom always saying that job fairs was nothing but a plie of........SHAT

LOL

I've been to a few job fairs, but nothing has ever come out of them. Industry specific job fairs are much better though, if you can find one in your industry.

I think job fairs are geared more towards people just getting their start in the work force. Personally, I would never go to another job fair because I've been around long enough now that I have better alternatives for job hunting.

I've been to a few job fairs, but nothing has ever come out of them. Industry specific job fairs are much better though, if you can find one in your industry.

I think job fairs are geared more towards people just getting their start in the work force. Personally, I would never go to another job fair because I've been around long enough now that I have better alternatives for job hunting.

Yes..that is very true. A lot of people overlook the very important aspect of researching organizations to work for and then placing calls or sending the CV direct to the Director of a specific department where you would like to work...bypassing the HR where the CV just gets thrown in a the huge pile. People should not only rely on job advertisements..they need to get out there and make cold calls..their own connections with the actual people they would like to work for.

My girlfriend was unemployed for about 4-weeks a month or so ago. She got a job, thankfully! But in that time of unemployment she went to a local job fair. The newspaper article said to dress professionally and come prepared with resumes and a 5-minute "sales pitch" about yourself when you meet the employers.

Well, she went, waited in line 45-minutes just to get in. ALL of the employers there were mostly places looking for entry-level work for kids just out of college. The vast majority of people there were dressed in t-shirts and shorts, and were rude and pushy. The employers themselves weren't prepared and every time my girlfriend came to a booth, they didn't know what positions in their company were open, just handed her a flier and told her "to check their website online." She was so frustrated and it was a total waste of her day. Why even bother coming if all they're going to do is tell her to go online!

That was just her experience. Yours may vary.

I think a lot of times these job fairs are not about the companies looking to recruit, it is more about advertising themselves. The ones who are told to go to the job fairs to "recruit" are generally not the ones in the know...they are there to advertise their company and collect CVs. Face it, companies always get inundated with CVs so they really don't need a job fair to do that for them.

Archived