Do you like a life of routine or challenge in your life, working and personal?

renaissancewoman101

I've found that as I grow older, I tend to find routines in life (whether it be personal OR working). I tend to be a fearful person and routines are the only way I feel comfortable and in control of things. When I do have relationships (which is not often), I try to establish some sort of routine, fairly quickly, that I can depend on and look forward to. It is my way of feeling "safe" and comfortable in the relationship.

As for work, I try to find jobs where I don't have too many challenges and where I can develop a routine and work with that. It makes work easier and less threatening to me. I know challenges are good and helps with career movement, but a lot of times, I tend to NOT meet the challenges and it doesn't bode well for me. And I do try hard to meet them, it is just that something usually goes wrong and the challenges overwhelm ME.

Anybody do this and do you find it a good way to deal with life?

I work from home, so for me there isn't a strict routine to my life. I like to be organized and have a plan but I'm not a slave to it. This includes my personal life as well. I think this has to do a lot with me being a writer.

Life is unpredictable. Sure I want some routine to help keep me on track and focussed but things don't/can't always be planned or go according to plan.

Flexibility with your routine to me is good way to create balance.

I know flexiblility is a good thing, but it can be threatening too, esp when you don't know what can or would happen. I can be flexible, but then I also come to question if people like me, want to be around me, etc.

As for job, I try to be flexible, but changes in routine, also cause me to panic and get very insecure and alarmed inside my brain. It makes me freak out internally, a lot of times, becuase I worry I can't handle it.

I love routine.. and I hate when I'm thrown out of it, especially work wise. It's probably not the best way to be though. My work is very routine but I LIKE it that way. I get challenges sometimes through work, and I get really nervous about them, but I always end up making it through.. not without worrying like crazy though.

I get anxious when I feel like my life is stuck in a routine. I feel like I am wasting my time and talents and it makes me want to panic. Usually at that time I become really motivated and will get a lot of work or play done. Routines can definitely be less stressful and safe though, but since I was a kid I have always dreamed that I would make a bang in the world, so that pressure is a big part of my physce. I consider myself lazy often, but as I grow up I am starting to realize that I might just have high standards for myself.

anxiety? oh yeah, all the time! but i don't think i'd be cut out for a boring 9-5 job doing the same thing day after day.

Yep, me too. I have always had very flexible work positions and every day is different, sometimes things within every day change on the fly.

My home life, however falls into routines that last for a while and then I get fed up and shake things up with something different.

Relationships... have to have one where the guy is actually there on a steady basis before I can figure out what I like

I get anxious when I feel like my life is stuck in a routine. I feel like I am wasting my time and talents and it makes me want to panic. Usually at that time I become really motivated and will get a lot of work or play done. Routines can definitely be less stressful and safe though, but since I was a kid I have always dreamed that I would make a bang in the world, so that pressure is a big part of my physce. I consider myself lazy often, but as I grow up I am starting to realize that I might just have high standards for myself.

I can relate to this post too. It drives people I know nuts that I am like that. I get itchy feet when I haven't done something new or had a promotion or created something or whatever. I'm lucky that I keep finding positions where I get to decide what I do and invent the role within the company because it better suits my personality to do so.

thanks for your answers.

I don't deal well with change and routine is the only way I feel comfortable with life. I know a lot of people look at routine in relationships and life as being boring and too predictable, hence people get bored with a relationship and move onto someone else.

I am glad others feel this way. At least I don't feel alone in this.

All I want is to feel comfortable with a job or a relationship and not worry about things. But alas, that really is not realistic. Just look at our economy now, jobs that were once stable, are now gone, stuff like that. And that goes the same for relationships, not all relationships last forever and they come and go.

I don't know how to feel comfortable with change. It's hard to deal with and it scares me.

Archived