Tampons and Sex...

turkieblue

Ok, yes this is a stupid question, but please... We were drunk and had sex. Next day she asks if there was anything strange, because she thinks she left a tampon in there, and I remember it felt like hitting a wall (I thought it was lack of lube, but it did feel like hitting a wall).

She's going to Doc's tomorrow if she can't... extract... it, if there was one, and she thinks there was, but how serious a problem is this? She mentioned that people die from something like this, I don't think that's going to happen if she's going to Docs tomorrow, but still... for peace of mind, how bad is this if it was, shoved, far up in there?

Thanks! ](*,)

yikes! kind of funny, but at the same time, a bit scary. i think as long as the tampon hasn't been in there for too long, it should be ok. as long as the doctor takes it out, i'm sure they'll be able to see if there is anything there or not. i would definitely go ASAP though.

Ouch. I'm not sure. I always thought a tampon could only go so far? Maybe I am mistaken?

You would think your penis wouldn't go very far considering there was a tampon in there. But apparently...

Good thing she's going to the Doctor. Sorry I dont know anything about this!

It's not even been 24 hours, quite yet, so it'll probably be 36 hours by the time she gets to the doc, if she goes, which she will, if she can't extract tonight o_O.

Also, should note that it felt like wall hitting at first, but was "clear passage" as the night got on, so, if there was one, it was definitely pushed up there. edit- oh, and this was the night we were trying more "deeper penetration" things. Karma must hate us

I suppose it's possible to die from this....but it's not very likely. The tampon would have to be left in there long enough to cause an untreated infection, which the woman would then have to ignore, and I suppose an untreated infection could eventually bring about death...or just make you feel like you want to die.

The only exception where it would be an immediate medical emergency is if she'd develop Toxic Shock Syndrome link removed -- if that was the case though, she would have symptoms that would tip her off to being ill. Please note that the first line of that article states Toxic Shock is very rare. That means the odds are very good that she doesn't have and is not going to develop this.

I also suppose it's possible that had it been (pardon the language, but I can't think of any other way to say it) crammed up there with enough force there might be some tissue damage (tearing) but I'd have to believe there'd be bleeding and pain to help indicate something was wrong.

Yes, tampons can only go up so far. They won't go past the cervix. But sometimes, they can kinda get twisted around a bit and instead of being more vertical (say straight in) they can go more horizontal up by the cervix end of the vagina.

Happened to me once. I don't remember how long the tampon was in (this was quite literally years ago). I'd say less than a week, more than a couple days. I didn't feel sick or anything and in one of life's more embarrassing moments, it was my bf (now husband) who discovered and extracted said item.

I read an article once...it was a general sort of "things you're embarrassed to ask your gyno" kind of article. The doc they were interviewing said she sees patients who have tampons that they forgot to take out or that had shifted and become inaccessible a couple times a year.

She's not the first one it's happened to, she won't be the last, and it's highly likely that the only lasting effect is going to be some embarrassment.

I don't want to scare you, but tampons left in for too long are linked to toxic shock syndrome It's rare, but can be very dangerous. If she starts to feel ill (feverish, vomiting), you should probably take her to the hospital. Don't panic, but keep an eye out for the symptons listed on this site.

link removed

you know you get infections if you leave tampon inside more than 4-8 hours?

Not necessarily, it depends on the person and their immune system or what not. The don't recommend you leave it in for any longer than that but they also play it on the safe side. You can get toxic shock syndrome by leaving tampons in, which is what people can die from however it is not common and unless she has next to no immune system or the tampon has been there for a week, it is very unlikly.

Also if it is there, it wont have gone too far, it can't get past your cervix which is designed to keep babies IN Im sure ti would have no problem keeping a tampon out. As long as she goes to the Dr asap she should be fine,

Well, when i first started using tampons i was super paranoid about toxic shock syndrome and changed it all the time to the point where i forgot if i flushed it or if replaced it, and i couldn't find it...i thought to myself it CAN'T just disappear!?? Where would it go? My paranoya got the best of me. I flushed it and never replaced it and just freaked out over nothing. If she is very concerned, i am sure the doc will clear everything up. Maybe when she was drunk she went to the bathroom and didn't remember flushing it. It is a possibility. Why must we do stupid things when intoxicated?

She was feeling really ill today, she's had/still has? the flu, so, immune system is already weakened. Couldn't get it out last night. She insisted on waiting to go to the Doc's after her classes, so she should be on her way there by now.

yes i offered to drive her/take my classes off, but she was insistent about going alone (embarrassment I think), so... she should be there by now, just waiting on the news.

And thanks again for the replies, this is an area I have 0% knowledge of. As far as Tissue tearing, etc, well, I'm not going to over exaggerate endowment or anything, but... I was trying to go deep, so... good chance it got out of finger reach.

UPDATE:

ok, everything is "fine", no updates, but... whew.

She won't die if this just happened and she is going to the doctor. It likely got bunched up and moved to the side if this did happen, and i think if it is lodged in there they can remove it without any problems.

EDIT: Just saw your update. I didn't figure any real issues would ensue.

Archived