Nervous Breakdown - what to expect?

Over the past several years....well actually my life....i've been traumatized by a lot of abuse and rejection, whether it be parents, family, friends, boyfriends, whatever.

Back in April of last year my ex bf returned to my life (he was abusive) and that seemed to start the real slide for me (though dont get me wrong, I was sliding before this too). Then in Oct my best friend (guy) disappeared from my life (after sending me mixed signals for years) and I have no idea why.

I think i've had a nervous breakdown. Ive been trying to deal with it on my own, but have failed miserabley and yesterday I cried all day for no apparent reason. I have contacted a program through my work and am scheduled to speak with a counsellor on March 3rd and I want to know what to expect in terms of dignosis and treatment.

I've done some online research and I match the symptoms for Avoidence Personality Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I've read that both of these can lead to a break down if not treated.

Can anyone tell me what will happen in terms of treatment? Will they want me on pills? (I dont feel comfortable taking pills). And how long does "recovery" take? I just want to find myself again. Any information would be helpful.

A 'nervous breakdown' isn't a clinical term, it's a popular one and can mean so many things it's, well, meaningless.

The other thing is not to try and diagnose yourself in terms of personality disorder using web sites. It's a diagnosis not lightly made by professionals. In fact I attended a wonderful lecture on personality disorders, where the psychiatrist discussed the characteristics associated with each and then said 'But aren't we all personality disordered?'

As for the treatment - my guess is that it would involve more talking through your difficulties, your history, your pain than anything else. The relief, when you first admit that you can't cope any more, and let it all go to someone who cares - is ENORMOUS, and my guess is that you'll probably start to feel a bit better straight away. If you feel as though you've hit rock bottom, the only way is UP! Also, a counsellor is not qualified to prescribe medication in any case.

The length of time you spend in therapy is a very personal decision, and may be dictated by the situation you find yourself in. 'Recovery' is a journey, not a destination, and hopefully things will continue to get better and better for the rest of your life.

Please be reassured that it is not frightening, that you can take things at a pace which feels comfortable for you, and even though things are very painful for you at the moment, they WILL get better.

Hope this helps!

It's good that your getting help early. I think I had several of them before I had my psychotic break, which ultimately lost me my children. Yes you'll likely be put on meds, but it only be temporary for you. For me it's lifelong now.

Archived