A question to those who have changed jobs

ThaWarden

I gave my two week notice to my current employer on Friday of last week. I have been at this job for the last 6 years, and I love my job, and most of the people I work with. I was offered a much better paying job at a local dealership doing pretty much the same thing I am doing now. I am excited to be starting this new job in 2 weeks, but am feeling a little like a jerk because I am leaving my current co-workers.

My question to you all is this: Is it normal to be feeling this way?

Any words of re-assurance is appreciated.

Thanks.

Just this last September I finally left my job of seven and a half years for a change in career.

Did I feel guilty about leaving? Yes and no. I know I was an asset to the company, and I had made friends there over the years and earnt the respect of co-workers, but at the end of the day you need to do what's right for *you* - Not the people you work for/with!

You've given notice, leaving on a good note, so no sweat. Good luck with the new job...

Keep into consideration your huge change here, too. Not only are you leaving some job you worked at for 'X' amount of years, but also, you are now making a shift in your everyday environment. This is no small change. Maybe some of your feelings are stemming from this uncertainty of the future? The anticipation of something new? Anxiety?

Well most of these feelings are stemming from me feeling really bad about leaving because it will be just the other guy and the manager, and they really don't get along that well. I feel like I have kinda just left the other guy out to dry, you know?

I am pretty much going to be doing the same job, about a block away, working the same hours, with a lot of people I know and grew up around. No anxiety about going into my new job, just about leaving the old one for the reasons I mentioned above.

Archived