Mental illness?

JeckyllNHyde
Happy 1st Month to my GladysJane :)
Happy 1st Month to my GladysJane :)

Hi,

I posted some time back about my bf's depressed mother. She is seeing a doctor from what I gathered. But.. today was a rather sad day.

Me and bf had a disagreement, but later that day he suddenly came into the room and was crying his eyes out. I'd never seen him like this so of course it broke my heart.

Hours later he was (barely) able to tell me his mom has been hearing voices too.

I didn't go further into it with him as it's a very touchy subject for him to talk about at the moment. I still want to know more about it and maybe do some research for him/them on my own to understand it better.

Could this be dementia? Or schizophrenia? Maybe something else?

Editted to add: I researched dementia and I doubt this is what it may be.

Also, I remember some time back my bf confessed to me the voices seemed to be telling her to kill herself (bad dream I think).

I feel so clueless when it comes to these things. But I really want to be able to handle it or help.](*,)

It will be impossible for you (or anyone else here on ENA) to guess correctly what the proper diagnosis is since there are a number of possibility, but it is definitely an alarming symptom and has to be evaluated asap from a psychiatrist.

I am very sorry that his mother and the family is going through this.

Thanks Jetta and deaxtime, I will read up on it.

I know no one can diagnose, but it still helps me out a bit if people know what it COULD be.

Just venting here: gosh.. I still feel a knot in my stomach thinking back about my bf and his reaction to all this. I think I also heard his little sister crying.

Pretty heartbreaking. I felt like a fly on the wall even though I wasn't in the room with them.

Well she is going to the doctor, that is a start. She will get properly diagnosis and get the help she needs. It is very hard to go through. However one thing my father help us realize when my mom was really bad, and she still has her days or weeks. Is that whatever she says and does is not cause she means it, it is cause she is sick.

He could try asking her if the voices are 'alien' to her or they are her own as the voices heard by schizophrenics are 'other people's' voices, not their own like with introspection.

But she really needs to be diagnosed by a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist because schizophrenia is a mental disease (not a psychological problem) and requires medication and the sooner the diagnosisis and treatment the better the prognosis.

Archived