Weird Teeth Question

Is it a bit excessive to take about 10 minutes brushing your teeth? I'm really paranoid about it. Floss then brush for about 5-7 minutes then use mouth wash. I mean, is that a bit excessive to the point it can cause damage? I use whitening tooth paste and whitening mouth wash. I'm also really worried because I missed a dental appointment, but I am going in 2 weeks. Do you think I could have any problems because I missed an appointment?

Apart from all of that I think I have nice teeth, had braces when I was a kid. I'm just really paranoid about getting bad teeth. Is anyone else like this?

Well, you'll get bad teeth if you carry on like this. You're wearing your teeth out, which can end you with dentures from losing your teeth and have them crack off eventually if they get so weak.

Go to your dentist in 2 weeks and tell them about this. You only need to brush your teeth twice a day, morning and night, for 2, 3 tops, minutes.

^^ Not always OCD if you wash your hands a lot, I have OCD and it doesn't show in that form, that's just what people sterotype it as.

I think it's normal if you're worried for your teeth, most people are, all the junk nowadays, excess acid, etc. But you need to cut down on how much you brush them. Brushing them too much/too hard can and will end you up with very weak teeth.

x

The whitening toothpaste and mouthwash will make your teeth weak if I'm not mistaken. I used to use both too and then my teeth would hurt a bit.

So now I just use the toothpaste OR mouthwash..

I think brushing two or three times a day for 2 minutes is better then brushing 10 minutes at a time. That way you limit food residue left on your teeth.

Brushing + flossing.. Should be enough.

Btw, recently someone explained to me why flossing is so important, I'll TRY and explain without pics lol: when food gets stuck between teeth, it gradually eats away at the gums (where you apparently have bone!). And the healthiest teeth has a straight gumline where as people who have alot of food left behind in their teeth and don't floss will end up with a gumline where there is more/less gum between teeth.

Also, according to my friend (and what his dentist told him) over time (like yearssss and years) the bone becomes so little that the teeth falls out due to not having anything to hold it anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to brush fanatically like you described and now I have lost a lot of enamel off my teeth. My dentist actually asked me if I was bulimic (I'm not). Now I have terrible sensitivity on all my teeth that won't go away without expensive treatments.

The best thing to do is to brush, floss and rinse normally, and then pop a piece of gum if you want to keep your breath fresh.

edit: whoops, didn't see your last post. I'm glad your teeth are fine.

I used to brush fanatically like you described and now I have lost a lot of enamel off my teeth. My dentist actually asked me if I was bulimic (I'm not). Now I have terrible sensitivity on all my teeth that won't go away without expensive treatments.

The best thing to do is to brush, floss and rinse normally, and then pop a piece of gum if you want to keep your breath fresh.

edit: whoops, didn't see your last post. I'm glad your teeth are fine.

No worries! Thanks for your reply!

In the future I think I will get them whitened. They are fine now but there is a deal on at the moment for £250!

Is it a bit excessive to take about 10 minutes brushing your teeth? I'm really paranoid about it. Floss then brush for about 5-7 minutes then use mouth wash. I mean, is that a bit excessive to the point it can cause damage? I use whitening tooth paste and whitening mouth wash. I'm also really worried because I missed a dental appointment, but I am going in 2 weeks. Do you think I could have any problems because I missed an appointment?

Apart from all of that I think I have nice teeth, had braces when I was a kid. I'm just really paranoid about getting bad teeth. Is anyone else like this?

Use a soft toothbrush- if you don't have one already- try one of the battery-operated toothbrushes like the Crest SpinBrush. They are relatively inexpensive, and do a good job of getting in tight or hard to reach areas. You are also far less likely to saw your gums off with them or overdo it. (With traditional toothbrushes, people tend to use the wrong strokes an apply too much pressure when brushing) If you brush for 2 minutes with one of those battery-operated ones, you know you got good, precise coverage, so you will feel like your 2 minutes really counted.

Flossing once daily is also important.

Use a soft toothbrush- if you don't have one already- try one of the battery-operated toothbrushes like the Crest SpinBrush. They are relatively inexpensive, and do a good job of getting in tight or hard to reach areas. You are also far less likely to saw your gums off with them or overdo it. (With traditional toothbrushes, people tend to use the wrong strokes an apply too much pressure when brushing) If you brush for 2 minutes with one of those battery-operated ones, you know you got good, precise coverage, so you will feel like your 2 minutes really counted.

Flossing once daily is also important.

Thanks! I use an electric tooth brush, my teeth feel very clean using that. I use whitening mouth wash and floss twice a day. I'm really happy that I didn't have anything done at my last visit at the dentist. I've only had 2 cavities, is that bad? I'm 25.

How to Clean Makeup Brushes at Home
How to Clean Makeup Brushes at Home

Archived