Anyone taking Riaperdol?

Just curious if anyone ever has taken this medication, or is currently on it? I was just recenlty diagnosed as Bi-polar II three and a half weeks ago.

Seems like it makes very tired in the morning then anxuios night? I told my pdoc that I am having a little anxiety and she told me to take an extra half of pill when this happens? Maybe I need something else for anxiety also? I always had a touch of anxiety..but should I still be having any on this? any advice appreciated..

Well I was diagnosed as Bi-polar three weeks ago, and I am still having a touch of anxiety taking this..thats why I was asking about it..Sorry to hear about your bad experince, alot of people I hear gain weight from this med. My pdoc is monititoring my weight, for that is a big concern for me.

Ask to take abilify instead. I took risperidal and gained 50lbs. in 6 months I even starved myself for a day and still gained 1lb. Whereas before I was losing 2-3 lbs. when I would starve. Now I'm happy with my medication, it works, I'm not gaining weight, but the side affect is the shakes so I take a med to alleviate that.

Jetta

why don't you try cognitive therapy?

Because CBT doesn't work for bipolar. Bipolar is a brain chemical imbalance issue. It isn't because you don't know how to deal with your life. CBT can be helpful, but a bipolar patient will ALWAYS need meds to help them control their depressions and manias. Manias are absolutely nothing to mess around with.

BrazilGrl, are you ONLY on Risperdal? You really need to be on something also to control your depression, as the Risperdal is a mood stabilizer, but not an antidepressant. It controls the manias, not the depressions.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist or just your regular doctor? If you aren't seeing a psychiatrist, you should get a referral if you can afford it. If you are already seeing a psychiatrist, I HIGHLY suggest you get a second opinion, soon. The idea that she says you should take an extra half pill when you are feeling more anxious really sends up red flags for me. A common SIDE EFFECT of this medication can be anxiety. That, combined with not being prescribed an antidepressant makes me really wonder if you are being treated correctly.

Just to let you know, I am bipolar II also, and I was diagnosed about 16 years ago. I have done my research, but still, I'm not a doctor. I've seen your other post about your bipolar, and I just wanted to give you this info so you can be a little better informed.

Thanks..I am really feeling like I need some other med. I am seing a psychatrist, and just seen her last week and told her baout the anxiety, thats when she told me to take an extra half, but something isnt right. i dont feel right, i am going to call her office tomorrow morning and ask her to call me in sonething else for anxiety, and maybe another med. My moods are better but its not helping my anxiety one bit.

I didn't mean for that question to sound obvious, I only asked because sometimes doctors are too quick to prescribe medications. I'm interested in this thread because I'm wondering if I may be bipolar myself. I'd had a diagnosis before, but I rejected it, and now I'm revisiting the possibility. If you feel comfortable, would you elaborate a bit more about how this has negatively affected your own life? Like with the anxiety, how does that affect you?

Well for starters, I noticed when I started kicking my BF out every month something was wrong...I was divorced in March 07, I cheated on my husband about a dozen times, but thats not the worst..the worst part is the way I did it. i drank heavily to mask the depression which started to make my moods worse. i am or was always either extremly up/happy, or crying depressed in bed. It is a very horrible illness, and I am guessing stress does not help.

BrazilGrl, I don't think you need anything for your anxiety, I think that if you were to get medicated for the depressive part of your bipolar, your anxiety would improve. My suggestion for a couple possible drugs are Zoloft, Celexa, or Lexapro. They're all available as generics so they are cheap and they all have a very positive track record when it comes to treating anxiety along with depression.

Keep us posted. I know there's enough of us around here that have bipolar that we can at least help you advocate for yourself to get the correct treatment.

Also, not to hijack your thread Brazil, but:

I don't get manic myself.

You aren't bipolar if you don't get manias or at least mixed states. You would KNOW if you had manias. They aren't anything that is easily missed. You are right in rejecting that diagnosis UNLESS you can clearly demonstrate that you are experiencing mixed states. Wikipedia has a great article here on them: link removed

BrazilGrl, I don't think you need anything for your anxiety, I think that if you were to get medicated for the depressive part of your bipolar, your anxiety would improve.

Seconded. It's common phenomena for depression to cause things like anxiety and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in sufferers. Like any source-of-infection theorem, fix the source [depression] and the peripherals will recede (oftentimes quite rapidly in the treatment phase).

I've been an Effexor (Venelafaxine) fan since I was diagnosed, and like my father before me, it's been a key ingredient in beating the demon. I also came to discover Lithium, the BiPolar disorder wonder-drug, and wish only that I'd started on it earlier in the days when my psychiatrist was upping me to 6 mg of Respiradone, then rolling me off and into Olanzapine, and then Mirtazapine, and oh God what a rocket ride...

Seconded. It's common phenomena for depression to cause things like anxiety and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in sufferers. Like any source-of-infection theorem, fix the source [depression] and the peripherals will recede (oftentimes quite rapidly in the treatment phase).

I've been an Effexor (Venelafaxine) fan since I was diagnosed, and like my father before me, it's been a key ingredient in beating the demon. I also came to discover Lithium, the BiPolar disorder wonder-drug, and wish only that I'd started on it earlier in the days when my psychiatrist was upping me to 6 mg of Respiradone, then rolling me off and into Olanzapine, and then Mirtazapine, and oh God what a rocket ride...

I called my pdoc and she called me in Lexapro, I start taking it tonight...

Archived