is this animal abuse?

purpleduckie

one of my housemates (Char) has a bunny. i think it's shared between emily and charlotte. em and char rarely ever clean the cage. there's so much poo in there. the area around the cage is gross as well.

michelle, another housemate and i are really bothered by that.. i mean, the bunny is a living thing. it doesn't want to live in poo. the cage smells so bad. the bunny used to be in the basement where it was in the cage 24/7 and was mostly alone. michelle convinced (nagged lol) char to bring it up to the living room where it's allowed to roam around the house from time to time + be around us more. she was hoping it would nudge char to clean the cage but nope.

michelle, jill and i don't want to be the one who end up cleaning the cage. i'm pretty much the designated dish washer in the house because no-one else would do it. i don't want to end up being the bunny cleanner either. i don't have the time and it's not my bunny! michelle and jill both feel the same way.

last summer, char had 2 kittens. when she went home, she left them here with me. she didn't even tell me!!! she was gone for almost a MONTH! the kittens were left to starve and free to roam the house. i had to clean after them and buy them food after i realize that char wasn't going to be around. the kittens were sent home to live with her mom. hopefully be in better condition.

this bothers me so much. is there anything i could do?!

Tell them if they are going to have pets in the apartment, THEY need to be the ones to take care of them. Period. I'm not sure I'd report them yet, because it doesn't sound as if they're being terribly malicious...but maybe you can make it CLEAR that if they don't shape up the rabbit is getting shipped out to a better place.

oh my god, no way. that's horrible. they do care about the rabbit. they are just really lazy.

I have to disagree. Forcing a living creature to live in feces is about as far away from caring as you can get. It is extremely unhealthy for the rabbit. Removing him from the situation would be the compassionate thing to do IMO and I'm sure the rabbit would be pretty happy about it, too.

Arrange for the rabbit to mysteriously disappear. That's what I would do. Either take it to the shelter or turn it loose. Either way it's fate is much improved.

I think thats a brill idea, give him away to someone you know will care for it and say you let it out one day and he ran out the front door like a hare in a race...

oh my god, no way. that's horrible. they do care about the rabbit. they are just really lazy.

If they truly cared about the rabbit, then they would take care of it.

"They're lazy" is just a justification for their lack of caring.

All of you sit her down and tell her to look after her bunny and clean its cage every week or it needs to go. If she refuses then tell her that you all have no option but speak to the landlord/SPCA and have it taken from her.

char is the landlord's daughter. no one else wants to get involved because we're friends. jill is a grad student and she tends to stay out of our business. everytime i try to say anything to char she gets defensive and rude. talking to her is just not going to happen.

If they truly cared about the rabbit, then they would take care of it.

"They're lazy" is just a justification for their lack of caring.

i know that. i'm just trying to say they're not that malicious. and if the rabbit disappeared, they would freak out. they're lazy when it comes to themselves too. they clean once a week after a ton of nagging, which is why i usually end up being the one who cleans.

Well, one thing for sure I'd be doing is sitting them down for a talk.

No more animals brought into the house/apartment.

I'd see if arrangements could be made for the rabbit - either (s)he is properly taken care of by the specific people responsible for her or time to make arrangements to find a new home for him/her (and it's a hard job finding good places for rabbits!).

And honestly, if it came down to feeling that it is reporting these people time - well I don't feel I could handle living with folks like that to be totally blunt. I'm a huge animal lover and laziness is another way of saying "Don't care enough about him/her to provide properly for 'em". Whether that means a new home has to be found or not.

If they blew me off after the talk and reporting had to be done, well, they will probably find out anyways later on since someone who would do this with the kittens and all - - when a new batch or cute 'thing' comes along, you could end up with a puppy pooping in the porch or something come summer if you don't make it clear now it's not going to fly.

Tell her that on second thoughts the smell from the bunny and its cage is too much and making you feel ill and will she please keep it in her room from now on... Or you could be a little more obvious and stick a "PLEASE CLEAN ME I STINK LIKE RABBIT S***" on the cage.

I would consider this abuse, yes. And you're enabling it by not insisting something be done and just watching the rabbit be exposed to that filth. Rabbits HATE being in poop.

Wanting to cuddle and play with a rabbit without taking care of the poop is irresponsible and immature, which is what I would say to your roommate. If that's all she wants, then volunteer at the local shelter to play with the animals and then don't have any at home.

Arrange for the rabbit to mysteriously disappear. That's what I would do. Either take it to the shelter or turn it loose. Either way it's fate is much improved.

Taking it to a shelter may be a good idea...if it's a no kill shelter.

Setting it free is NOT a good idea. It's a domesticated bunny, not a wild one. It would likely be very frightened being out all alone and may not survive.

Taking it to a shelter may be a good idea...if it's a no kill shelter.

Setting it free is NOT a good idea. It's a domesticated bunny, not a wild one. It would likely be very frightened being out all alone and may not survive.

I doubt it, it has the genetic code of millions of wild rabbits in it's dna, I'm sure it would adapt pretty fast and if not then you have to ask yourself (or I do) what would you consider worse if you were in it's place? Dying free or living in sh!+?

Found this online

About Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

Expertise

I can answer just about any question regarding rabbit BIOLOGY and HEALTH from the commonplace (e.g. "runny stool"; dental problems) to the unusual. I can also help you with the most recent information on general rabbit care, as recommended by the nation`s top rabbit veterinarians and other experts. For the best information on rabbit care anywhere on the internet, be sure to visit link removed and consider joining EtherBun, a free listserve about rabbit health, care, and behavior. For more information on EtherBun, visit link removed.

I have to disagree. Forcing a living creature to live in feces is about as far away from caring as you can get. It is extremely unhealthy for the rabbit. Removing him from the situation would be the compassionate thing to do IMO and I'm sure the rabbit would be pretty happy about it, too.

I agree with this I would at least make a phone call to either the landlord or the spca

I would speak to the landlord anyway. I understand that they are the parents but I would go to them and say 'I'm really sorry to have to tell you this but 'name' is not cleaning the rabbit out they haven't done it in xxx amount of time do you think we should look for another home for him?'

If they won't listen I would be A) Rethinking if I want friends who abuse animals and B) Looking for a new place to live for myself and reporting them to the SPCA.

Forcing a poor animal to LIVE in feces is NOT caring (it is VERY unhealthy and can be toxic) and yes it is animal abuse. I witnessed this at a friend of a friend's house with their bird. It's cage was so full of crap it made me wince. I stood in front of her and cleaned out the bird's cage and stated this is toxic to this bird, if you are having a hard time caring for this animal let me know as I have many friends who wuold gladly take it. I know that was a bold move in someone else's home but i was prepared to take whatever comments she wanted to make and if she wanted to ask me to leave i was prepared to leave and then take a roadtrip to the SPCA.

Archived