Finding Passion in Life

EWJ

My question for everyone here is how did you go about finding what it is you want to spend the rest of your life doing? I mean was it something you have always done and just decided to make a career out of. How about something you just happened to get thrown into and found out you love.

I ask because at this current point in my life I am pretty much stuck in a rut career wise. I have always hated school and have never really taken it seriously but i have always been considered very intelligent. When i took the SAT the school said that they wanted to move me in to AP classes even though my grades were low but my mother was against it. She claimed even though she also thought i was smart if i wasn't doing the work in regular classes I wouldn't do it in AP classes either so whats the point in moving me.

Now fast forward to three years later I am 19 years old stuck at home, working at wal-mart, going to a tech school with know idea of what i want to do, and quite frankly, BORED OUT OF MY F***ING MIND!!!

Sometimes it just feels like i'm getting nowhere

There are many ways to discover a career path that might be fulfilling. One is to try and remember what you wanted to be when you grew up from when you were young. Another is to take a career preference or aptitude test at your college. Another idea is to go onto monster or some other job site and read about different jobs, their requirements and expectations. Yet one more would be to investigate sites where a particular job is discussed amongst peers. Try to remember what type of classes you enjoyed that came easily to you. It's always best to maximize your assets.

You sound so much like me... although now I'm a bit older and have advice to give!

Get out there. Seriously, find some cool activity in your area. It could be a one-time thing or a long term commitment. Art shows, reading groups, concerts, local guest host for tv or radio events, surf school, kayaking lessons, music lessons, a band... whatever sounds interesting to you.

I had a one-time thing that turned into a two-time thing and now I'm on the path to making it my dream... and I never really knew it was my dream until it just... was perfect!

Are you into the tech stuff? If not I'd get out of that school and enroll in a general college where you have more choices in what to major. You might get ideas from the courses and majors they offer. I had friends who went to college for one thing and ended up going the distance for another. Now they are in careers that they love.

For me personally I didn't find out until I finished college, got a job, hated it, and decided I wanted to do something else. While searching for another job, I took on some volunteer work and finally discovered something I really wanted to do. Maybe not for the rest of my life, but I could see myself doing it for a while.

I should have mentioned this in my first post but the reason that I am going to the tech school is because my parents can't afford to send me to school and my grades weren't good enough for a scholarship. I stay and eat at home for free but I pay for everything else such as school, my car expenses, and pretty much whatever else I do.

I should have mentioned this in my first post but the reason that I am going to the tech school is because my parents can't afford to send me to school and my grades weren't good enough for a scholarship. I stay and eat at home for free but I pay for everything else such as school, my car expenses, and pretty much whatever else I do.

What about a community college and/or financial aid?

Anyone can find a job, but a passion finds YOU (at least from my perspective). Get out into the world. Be part of a diversity of experiences. Meet people who love what they do, who hate what they do, who don't care, or are always searching just like yourself. I love anyone who takes something in their life seriously, and is ambitious to be the best they can be at doing what they enjoy.

Anyone can find a job, but a passion finds YOU (at least from my perspective). Get out into the world. Be part of a diversity of experiences. Meet people who love what they do, who hate what they do, who don't care, or are always searching just like yourself. I love anyone who takes something in their life seriously, and is ambitious to be the best they can be at doing what they enjoy.

What if you're 24, you've tried everything, the passion never showed up, and now you're broke and stuck in a career you hate?

What if you're 24, you've tried everything, the passion never showed up, and now you're broke and stuck in a career you hate?

You're never stuck. I changed careers at 28 after 2 failed attempts at finding something that worked well for me before that, and have had a great career the past 11 years.

I also have such a diverse skillset by volunteering for new projects at my employers, that I can slide into several different types of jobs as desired or required. It's the first thing recruiters say about me.... I had a call today for one job and the guy said I was probably a fit for 6 others he had "because you have such a diverse skillset".

You're not stuck until you allow yourself to be stuck.

I think you guys made a mistake with the AP classes, but too late now. (oftentimes a challenge makes you want to work harder, or the curriculum can be more interesting).

I'd ignore job titles and think about skills you have that you enjoy, are you better thinking through things or working with your hands, do you like to fix things or build things or dream up things or talk about things.... are you creative with inventing stories or jokes... are you a whiz with budgets.... that sort of thing.

check out link removed's new article on dream jobs and what they actually do...

talk to some professors at a college about what people do with their degrees...

talk to some folks working at non-profit orgs / charities....

find a way to check out trade magazines for different industries (engineering ,IT, advertising, law, small business owners, fashion designers, whatever)

There's all kinds of ways to explore and see what really grabs hold of you. And remember, it does NOT have to be a lifelong passion. It's ok to have something as a short term career as long as you don't stop growing, exploring and learning.

Try applying for financial aid (if you're in the U.S. it's fafsa.gov), and get into a college. You're not happy because you aren't utilizing your intellect. College forces you to, at least the one I'm at is.

As far as figuring out what I wanted to do well that's always a work in progress. You just pick something of interest and see how it goes, or at least that's how I'm doing it.

Archived