what is going on? [edited]

p3rson

Ok.

This friend of mine has been really sweet to me for the past couple of weeks, and I've started to really like him. I ended up finding out that he goes dutch -- I'm really not used to that, but I figured, fine, I'm okay with that.

But yesterday we went out for coffee, and I was short 56 cents, and he said it's okay, and he hands me a dollar. So I get my coffee, and then he says to make sure I pay him back.

The weird thing about this is, I think nothing of giving people I don't even know a little extra in line when they're short. My mom thinks that something so odd is indicative of something deeper.

He has a job, so he's not poor or anything.

Thoughts?

Is he a friend or are you dating? Friends definitely usually go dutch... and if you're on a date, you should be sure to still have enough...

With that being said, him asking you to pay him back a dollar seems pretty cheap of him...

We're *technically* just friends, but I know he likes me... it definitely seems that he is wooing me and has kissed me and such.

To me, it says something about the nature of his generosity. In that he doesn't have it. It's just a dollar and for a friend. He probably is the type of guy who won't help you out when you need it if it isn't convenient for him. And if he does, he'll expect you to do something for him in return. Not my type of guy.

He could of been joking... but you should of seen it in his face if he was playfull.. or he is extremly cheap.. and there are people like that..

i have a friend who makes 90k a yr.. but if we split something he wants me too pay.. every last cent.. very weird.. and most friends even me i just let it go... but not this one...

Ooh, good point...is it possible he was joking?

That had occurred to me, but here is the thing.

I handed him the extra change, and he's like, "Nah, it's easier if you just give me a dollar later."

But umm... should I bring it up? Ask him if he was joking?

That had occurred to me, but here is the thing.

I handed him the extra change, and he's like, "Nah, it's easier if you just give me a dollar later."

But umm... should I bring it up? Ask him if he was joking?

If he said that sounds like he was serious... i guess you could ask him.. seems like it would be an uncomftable talk.. me personaly would just let it go... and know what kind of person he is...

but its your choice if you must know... no harm in asking...

I would have given him 2 dollars back and told him it was the interest I'm certain he charged me for the loan.

I doubt I could hold any romantic interest in such a guy unless he laughed furiously and convinced me well that he had been kidding.

In your corner.

hahaha, I love that. That's totally what I'd do too.

OK this thread takes the cake.

I have watched women in groups I was eating with in restaurants literally get out a calculator to make sure every single person in the group paid for the exact amount of what they consumed... on more than one occasion, and have never seen comparable behavior from a man. I have watched groups of women I was with take 10-15minutes micro- analyzing a check for errors and in so doing ruin the flow of the evening. And all the women in the group take this kind of boorish behavior totally in stride as the men sit back and roll their eyes trying to just split the check and be done with it.

I have seen women sit around and talk, on multiple occasions, about the girl who gets a "bad reputation" among friends for underpaying their share by 2-3 dollars at a restaurant. This kind of issue is so far off the radar of any men I've ever known that it would be hilarious to ever hear it from a guy.

I have had women I was dating who never raised a hand to pay for anything get highly irritated with me because I accepted money they offered me in front of their friends at a bar to pay -part- of their share (or intending to make a show of it), expecting me to read their mind and not accept the money.

So here's this guy who makes an obvious joke about owing him a dollar, and posters are telling OP to avoid him in the future? If this were a woman who made the same comment, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be hearing about it here. And the above are just a couple of many, many instances I've experienced of this kind of behavior.

It's about time, in the year 2009, that women stop judging men as "cheap." Men don't do this, and women shouldn't either. There is one particular profession that judges "Johns" based on how much they spend, and I'll bet most of you wouldn't consider yourself employed in that way, so why continue to act like it?

[...] It's about time, in the year 2009, that women stop judging men as "cheap." Men don't do this, and women shouldn't either. There is one particular profession that judges "Johns" based on how much they spend, and I'll bet most of you wouldn't consider yourself employed in that way, so why continue to act like it?

Cha-ching! Thank you for your .02, servedcold. Will you take a check?

Archived