self harm?

gypsy_girl

It's not deliberate self harm, if you are directly using starvation as a way to harm yourself, then it is deliberate self harm, but some people, like myself, starve themselves for control, and yes, to loose weight, both go hand in hand. Yes, still harming, but it is not intentinal self harm, which can make all the difference when helping someone.

you are hurting yourself, it's self-harm. intentionally starving yourself for whatever reason, is self-harm. now, if it's 'i won't eat today because i have the flu' then i'd say you are doing it for a reason. for control and losing weight, that is self-harm.

• 1 month later...
It's not deliberate self harm, if you are directly using starvation as a way to harm yourself, then it is deliberate self harm, but some people, like myself, starve themselves for control, and yes, to loose weight, both go hand in hand. Yes, still harming, but it is not intentinal self harm, which can make all the difference when helping someone.

Sarey, sometimes i think your own problems and perception are getting in the way of a sensible perspective on this topic.

People, even you, who starve themselves for control are self-harming. Self-harm is a wide definition used for anything that is destructive to the body whether or not self-destruction is the intent. Self-injury is the specific act of cutting without suicidal intent.

As a reply to the OP i would say that starving yourself is definitely self-harm and as dangerous if not more so to cutting. If you are in control, get out now. if not, seek help. It will kill you. Restricting is a very serious thing, and not something to take lightly. It Kills, it traps you, and it strips away everything you know, and changes who you are. It will make you feel alone, and will make everything worse. Its especially dangerous because it makes you feel better in the beginning. It promises to take everything bad away, and becomes a focus. Then it quickly becomes dangerous when all your emotions and feelings are invested in it.

ha, my opinion is as sensible as it gets, i've been there, done that, got the medal, and the t-shirt, so don't even go there saying my perceptions are warped or whatever, they aren't.

self harm and eating disorders may go hand in hand FOR SOME, but not all.

Archived