My pet lizard

dreamwarrior
Learn English Via Listening | Begin...
Learn English Via Listening | Beginner Level | Lesson 6 | My First Pet

Around October 2008 I came home to find the most adorable lizard on my railing...he didn't even try and run away. I just picked him up and put him in a coffee can and then several days later went to the pet store and purchased a 10 gallon tank, wood chips, several bowls that look like rocks for his water and mealworms.

He loves to jump around in the tank. I have a light shining on his tank to keep him warm.

This weekend I am going to the pet store to get him the proper lighting, something to hide in, a rock to crawl on and other things.

He has scales and spines and blue on the bottom of his belly so that I know makes him male...the females don't have any coloring.

I want to get him a mate, but the problem is they are wild so I will have to catch another one, which I don't think it will be that easy to just go around trying to look for lizards and then catch them.

The pet stores don't carry them either.

My question is do you suppose there are people online that might sale one to me?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get another one besides trying to catch one?

God I love animals....one of the greatest moments in my life was when I was on an adventure in Nevada and seen a wild horse with her baby....man, I will remember that until my dying day!

He is happy with me....I give him a good warm home...it's very bad weather outside and they like the warmth and not to mention, I live in the city and would hate to see him hurt...alot of animals get run over by cars here....turtles, iguanas, snakes and other reptiles are wild, but people have them as pets. I am giving him all the accommodations and environment of the wild.

Anyway, it's legal for me to have him in my state and other people have them as pets...he is the only light in my life right now...and I am not going to put him out in the cold.

He is happy with me....I give him a good warm home...it's very bad weather outside and they like the warmth and not to mention, I live in the city and would hate to see him hurt...alot of animals get run over by cars here....turtles, iguanas, snakes and other reptiles are wild, but people have them as pets. I am giving him all the accommodations and environment of the wild.

Anyway, it's legal for me to have him in my state and other people have them as pets...he is the only light in my life right now...and I am not going to put him out in the cold.

Well, as long as he seems happy. I don't know much about lizards (although in my time I have met many human lizards so I have no idea what kind of online market there would be...just be careful and research things before trusting someone online. Make sure you are getting a lizard that would be compatable with yours.

Some years back I had a tortoise that was bought for me and I had it for 15 years and when I moved I put her/him outside in the back yard and then another turtle showed up from god knows where and several months afterward it was winter time and I came to see my beloved pet and she was stone cold dead and so was the other one several months afterward....I was totally devastated....and these type of animals have long lifespans and for both my pets to die like that just crushed me.

Some years back I had a tortoise that was bought for me and I had it for 15 years and when I moved I put her/him outside in the back yard and then another turtle showed up from god knows where and several months afterward it was winter time and I came to see my beloved pet and she was stone cold dead and so was the other one several months afterward....I was totally devastated....and these type of animals have long lifespans and for both my pets to die like that just crushed me.

That's very sad.

You should take a couple good pictures of him & post them up here... see if anyone can tell you exactly what species he is. That would probably help you figure out if you can get him a mate... or if those kinds of lizards even get attached to a mate or would just fight someone invading their space. Or take him to a vet would would hopefully be able to answer all your questions right off the bat.

I have an iguana. I like her, but I wouldn't describe her as friendly! She does her own thing.

Archived