A ray of hope, a cloud of question...

unduffable1

So I have several posts on my situation so I am not going to go into ALL the details on this post. Needless to say, my ex broke up with me early November after a ten year relationship. She had a rebound that started 'emotionally' a couple weeks before we broke up. I was stupid desperate and did everything wrong for almost a month. Then I forced myself to no longer initiate contact. I did not know anything that was going on with her nor if a relationship with this guy ever materialized. She sent me several texts through December about bills and how she'd like to go out sometime. I responded to very few of these and only things that needed a response. I never took her up on an offer to go out nor talk. Then nothing for about 5 weeks.

Late at night last week I received a text message about how sorry she was and how I didn't deserve that. I waited a few days and decided to respond. Just said don't worry about it, and its cool. I told her I hoped she was doing well, and to take care. She responded saying she'd love to go out sometime for lunch or something. That she had been thinking about me hoping I am well. I responded...I don't know maybe.

Then today, a week later, I called her late this afternoon. I was only on the phone for 10 minutes but almost immediately after the initial how are you and what have you been up to items she wanted to tell me that she was not seeing anyone, and that she was single. That the guy who she left me for was an a**hole and it was a huge mistake and that I was such a great guy. She told me how happy she was that I called, that she had been thinking of me a lot, and how good it was to hear my voice.

She started crying even at one point. I then mentioned how I had wanted to talk to her, but didn't think it was healthy to talk that way for us to both move on at the time, and I pushed myself to stay in that capacity. I told her she was my best friend and it was hard, but I feel so much better now. I agreed with the breakup and said it was probably the best thing that could have happened to both of us. Said it was all in the past, and things are cool now. We talked a bit about how the remodel of her house is progressing. I checked in on our dogs etc.

Then, I mentioned how I had been in her town regularly teaching at the college. I told her how I'd be there next Sunday and would like to take her up on her offer of lunch in between my class and lessons. I mentioned how I'd love to go to this Greek restaurant we used to frequent. She told me she would love to and hasn't been there since I left (and this is a super small town of only 10,000, not even a free standing McDonald's but it is the biggest town for about an hour in any direction). She even suggested going out on Tuesday when I'd be in town, but I wouldn't be available till really late and its an hour and a half away from where I currently live so I just pushed that out saying I had plans on Tuesday and would only be able to breeze into town, do my stuff, and then bail.

There are many things she doesn't know, as I am sure there are for her that I don't know. She didn't know where I was living, and I told her. Though, I went on several trips since we broke up that she doesn't know about. I bought a new car as I got hit by a semi in the old one which is also something she doesn't know about. I don't know if her and I will get back together, but at this time I feel like I would be fine either way. I would like to get back together with her obviously, but are there things I should prepare for next weekend? Are there indicators that this may be what she wants? Is it too soon to tell? No matter what, I would want it to progress slowly as I don't want to be in this situation again down the road.

Let me know what you think. Your advice is always so helpful.

I would say she wants to get back together. You take it slow though. Don't let her get the upper hand. You let her initiate conversations about the relationship. You've handled things about as well as anyone can handle them up to this point and that is why you're in this awesome position that I wish I were in.

Obviously, after 10 years, she had the GIGS and left you for it. It happens after such long relationships. Lucky that she compared the guy to you and realized she didn't like him as much or that he wasn't as loyal or whatever the case may be...the guy she chose to see if the grass was greener wasn't greener. Good for you.

Just take things slow. She probably wants to reconcile.

Thanks John. I plan on taking things slow no matter what, but it throws a wrench in things. I was finally getting over all of this. I started seeing a girl a few weeks ago (total rebound) and that started making me feel better. I have talked to this girl that I am not right to be in a relationship yet and its not fair to her. That everything I have read in the past few months indicate that she is moving into a classic rebound situation and its not right. This girl is good friends with my roommates who I am good friends with. Everyone is aware of my situation of my ex. Its like reopening the stress can now for me.

I was in a better place, and why I finally decided I'd stop playing the NC game my ex. I felt the apology was genuine. I felt the text response was genuine. I knew she was sorry when all of this transpired. She is my best friend regardless and I miss talking with her. Though, I'm now in the process of looking at potential opportunities far outside the area. I think an original reason for her loss of attraction to me was that I put all her needs before my own, and put her on a pedestal. Due to this I was subconsciously telling her that I valued her more than I valued myself. So I decided its time I start worrying about myself again. This of course may show ambition and create a new found attraction to me (also losing 50 lbs, new clothes, haircut, etc. helps too). Though, it is likely I will be leaving the area in 3-4 months.

But she may really just miss me and want to talk to me as a friend, and have no desire to go down that road again. Its hard to say. I feel like there is hope though John as you say, but you are right. Should I consider anything for this first meeting? I know all the typical 'do not bring up the relationship' stuff. What if she does bring it up? How should I respond? Should I say things like 'it was probably for the better at the time', 'that's all in the past' etc? Or should I talk to her about the issues? I assume at some point it would be good to address them, but when? How long after this first meeting should I consider setting up another meeting/date?

So I met her for lunch today. It was odd to say the least. I was real pleasant, and upbeat the whole time. Her parents were at her house so yesterday she text that she would meet me at the restaurant to avoid awkwardness. I got out of my car and immediately she noticed that I had a new car. I noticed how she took the topper off her truck and she said she wanted it to appear younger. I just said it was 'very hip'. She asked how long I had the car, and I mentioned about a month and a half, and that I had been hit by a semi in my other car. We talked about that for a few minutes. Discussed briefly what my family and her's were up to etc. We ordered food. She offered to pay, and I said I could get my own, and that was that.

While we were waiting for food we talked a lot. She brought up again how she is no longer dating the other guy, and how he turned out to be a huge alcoholic and that it wasn't a good situation. Evidently, he would go to the bar every night. She mentioned how he couldn't go two days without drinking otherwise he'd start shaking. She noted though how she thought it really would work, and that he was making a real effort to change when they first started dating, but how he relapsed. She said that she has joked with his friends recently about getting him on the show "Intervention". Mentioned how through this she has at least met a lot of friends finally in that town since it had been about two years and she didn't know anyone. She told me that a lot of them say to her that they want her to get back together with him because she was so good to him, but she didn't think it could work. Said it hurts because she wants to help him so bad, but she can't.

She told me how this guy went back to his long term gf who evidently is crazy and sending mean text messages to her. That his ex is also an alcoholic and just enables this guy even more. She told me about how she had to take him to substance abuse training classes about a half hour outside of town and she had to attend a few. Said he had to have extended classes because he just got a recent DUI and blew a .35.

She asked if I was dating anyone. I hesitated a bit, and she immediately said, "no?", and I just responded, "I am dating a bit and just having fun." She asked me about getting my doctoral degree and I mentioned how I want to take some time off now and build up my finances. That I am looking forward to finally 'starting' my life. She asked about how often I am teaching in town, told me about schools that have called her house looking for me, and about work. I told her about my new job, how I am looking to obtain a new teaching license in a completely different state, and some other opportunities for me. She talked about our dogs, how one had surgery this week to get a couple cysts removed, and how they both came down with an allergic reaction and can only eat expensive duck and potato dog food.

She told me that the work on her house has just gotten back underway because she had been preoccupied the past couple months with this other guy. I asked her how the house was coming along and she told me everything they have done on the house. That it was ridiculously expensive and financially she doesn't think she could leave anytime soon. I asked her if she had gotten a roommate yet, and she went on about how she wants to just be single and live alone for a while. That she had an alcoholic roommate for the past couple months and that didn't work out.

I chuckled briefly at one point and she asked what? I just said its interesting how she dated someone who is so vastly opposite of her right after. I did open up about a girl I am currently seeing and how super devout and religious she is (and that is not me). My ex laughed a bit and said she is glad we are okay and that we can talk about this stuff. I did mention how I don't feel 100% comfortable talking about all of this. That I know what I am doing with this current girl and how after reading all the relationship books after her and I broke up that I realize this girl is a rebound for me. (I have even mentioned this to the current girl I am seeing, but not dating). My ex asked me if I still had some of those books and if she could borrow them. Asked if all rebounds fail. I said that not all, but a high percentage and some statistics deem inconclusive because they may last a couple years. Because of this I told her how I thought perhaps at one point I had been a rebound to her since she had been in a LTR before me and we were together for 10 years. She said I was definitely not a rebound.

Though, she brought up the other guy a few more times. She said she was sorry to me, and that she finally knows what I had gone through. I propped her up saying that she is a great girl and will find someone. At one point I even suggested that perhaps something will work out for her and this other guy. She just said she thinks it may be even worse because she never had time to actually get over us breaking up, and now she is dealing with both situations. I told her how she was right and that time really does heal, and a number of the things I have learned and have been working on since the breakup. I agreed that it was the right thing for us.

Her hair dresser came in toward the end and talked to us briefly. He evidently is working at the new restaurant in town and has been working many hours. He talked about the last time she came in and his schedule that night and why he didn't come over to talk to her. When he left, my ex told me that her hairdresser is probably really confused because the last time she went to the fancy restaurant in town it was with the other guy. I said it was no big deal. (personally I don't really care at all).

So after this long story my question here is: * * * ? I bit my tongue and continued to be as cheery and cordial as possible. I was there 65 minutes. I probably could have stayed longer as she wanted to, but I had to get going. She suggested getting together for lunch anytime I am in town, or coming over to see the dogs and the house. Suggested Tuesday, but I said I wouldn't be in town long that day. That I have my faculty recital on Friday, but I didn't want her to have to go through that pain. She suggested next Sunday, and I said, "I don't know maybe." She told me to call her and let her know.

I think she must have broke up with this guy recently and is hurting. Perhaps that is what sprung the apology email a couple weeks ago. As much as I want to talk with her and move in a direction toward a possible reconciliation I am sure that now would not be the right time. One, I don't really know that is anything she would consider, and two she obviously is hung up on this other guy. Should I call her later this week to set something up next week? Is she trying to get under my skin talking about the other guy with me? Is it just because she doesn't have any long time trustful friends in town why she wanted to talk to me about this stuff? Should I just wait and let her contact me again? I don't want to play games, but I think right now this has added to a volatile situation that I wasn't planning. I really am fine if we don't get back together again, but I don't want to break the chances either if it is a possibility. HOWEVER, I am also considering that if we get back together then I want it to work, and NOT have to go through that heartbreak again. I realize that would likely become a LONG road to go down. Let me know your thoughts PLEASE.

Hi OP...

I just wanted to share that from everything that you said to her, I'm not sure she would have a clue that you are even considering reconciling. My impression was that it sounded like you have completely moved on & are happy not looking back.

If I heard things like "breaking up was the best thing for us" and "you will find someone eventually", and that you would like to move away soon, and encouragement that it may even still work out with the current-ish person, I'd toootally think the person (you) was trying to tell me nicely that he had no interest in getting back together. Also, your hesitation in meeting up again...

My only point is that if she backs off or changes her energy it might have to do with her not thinking you are interested in reconciling at all.

To me, it really does sound like she is at least considering reconciling with you...

I can understand why she might share all of this with you as well... It may be part of pre-reconciliation gauging and/or just because it is sort of relevant in the sense of what has been going on in your lives & just connecting on those things. The important "big" things... It may have been missed by her. After all you were together for 10 years...

Since she asked you about getting together times & you said you would think about it, then yes, I'd get back to her this week & suggest a day. I think she initially suggested Sunday? If that works for you then I'd go over again on the Sunday & just see how it goes...

One step at a time, no rush, no expectations, just some simple time together...

Maya, thanks for the response. I think I have some emotional walls up right now for obvious reasons. I did read some posts on here about situations during the first meet up where the dumper discloses information regarding the current relationship to the dumpee. I never thought this was going to be the case for me. I knew nothing of this guy. I have never seen him, don't know where or if he works, etc. I know nothing of his friends, or really even what my ex has been doing leading to our breakup and thereafter. I prepared for several different types of conversations except for this one. I really didn't know how to read this at first.

All posts, and books have said to agree with the breakup, take responsibility for it, and try brushing past relationship talk during the first meet up. I tried to do so as best I could. I remained overly cheerful the whole time, and I honestly did feel bad for her that she is now hurt even though some of my friends say that is messed up. She really is my best friend, and it killed me not to talk with her the past couple months, but I feel SOOOO much better now than when we broke up. I think taking the time away was what helped. Though, now I am even more confused. What would give it away that she is considering reconciling with me? It was just lots of talk about the other guy and how he is an alcoholic, and she is upset they broke up.

I don't want to appear desperate or needy because I was doing so leading up to and right after the relationship. Should I see if she tries to contact me this week first before I make another date? The area we live in is incredibly rural, and there are opportunities for me here, but if I remain in this area I would rather be with her, otherwise move on with my life in a bigger area where I could meet other people.

not sure i have any advice for you...in a similar situation myself...only 6 years for me though. i'm actually just wondering how you've dealt with the ''best friend'' issue. it's the same for me...in fact...my only true friend where i'm currently living...aside from co-workers who are all siginificantly older...and consequently at different stages of their lives. i realize it's your thread...lol...but do you have any comments?

No problem Sleep. We're here to help one another. Though, I don't know what to tell you really. I mean as much as it hurt I stayed away from contact. I mentioned in other posts about some lame contact attempts on her part. I chose many to ignore. Whenever I responded I felt like crap. Then a couple days before New Year's was her last contact attempt and we went about 5 weeks without any contact. She sent the apology text and that felt good, but confusing all the same. I decided to respond a few days later, and she suggested getting together and I responded that I wasn't sure. I didn't feel bad this time, but didn't know where it was going. After a week more I decided to call her and set something up another week later. Her and I moved to the middle of nowhere. Neither of us knew anyone other than each other. She had partners in her group and at the hospital, and I met people at school that I was attending.

After my first couple weeks of desperation I started working on myself. I started hitting the gym regularly, started making trips to see other friends further out, and started getting confidence up to go out with others in my area. ALL of this helped my self confidence and boosted my self esteem. The time away was so important, because it helped get me back on track with my mind. Now I feel like I've gotten to a point where I can talk with her again. However, it was difficult listening about the other guy who recently broke up with her. I really had to keep it bottled within and listen as I really am her friend. Just difficult when I was so much more too.

That's about all I have, and not sure if any of it was good advice. Hope some of it helped. Good luck.

that is difficult...the ''so much more'' thing. i haven't run into the ''other guy'' bump yet. i'm not sure how i'd deal with that. personally...i can't see it happening any time soon...but who knows. it seems difficult to process when there's a shortage of anger during the breakup process. i know you're right about finally being able to 'find yourself' again. it sounds so hokey...but it's completely true. i think over the course of any long term relationship...there are sides of yourself that you lose touch with...replaced with certain aspects of the relationship. i think that's probably the one thing that keeps me going at this point...just knowing that i have a real chance to

start treating myself better. sounds like you've made real progress...like you've found who you were before you met her...and have come to grips (embraced is probably a better term) with being that person...even if that means being 'alone' for a time. it's somewhat inspiring.

I really NEVER thought I would run into the problem with her and another guy. She never seemed like the type of person who would do that. I was actually the one who definitely fit the profile to do something like that 10 times over than her. Even from my past early in the relationship with her. However, since I got serious about the relationship I became cold faithful to her. Not good either way, and we had talked a lot about that years ago, and how I had viewed the relationship then. That has been several years ago now.

I knew things were not going well in our relationship recently, but I figured we'd work through it after I finished my degree this past December. However, about a month and a half before I finish I find out she is basically cheating on me and broke up with me. I have written other posts so I am not going to go into great detail there. But I am with you too. I actually held no ill will towards her, and could even see why she may have cheated. I empathized with her then. I did get needy and desperate, right after. After a few weeks of NC I woke up one morning and finally felt some anger. But since all that has subsided, and I am fine with me again, because I have kept her out of my life, and I have had time to heal. I do miss her, and care for her deeply. I really do want her to be happy regardless where she chooses to go in life.

Though the past couple days I have had confusing thoughts since seeing her. I've played out a million different scenarios in my head with and without her as well as listening to others guaging my next move. I don't think I have re-connected with myself before I met her. I don't know if I can even remember that guy or want to be that guy. It was 10 years ago. I was 17, and she was 22. Now I am 27 and she is 32. We've both matured and changed so much. I am different than when I was with her the past couple years, but I am not the obnoxious womanizing *** that I was before I met her.

Perhaps that is what she wants. This new guy does not sound too much like a winner in life, and is wrapped with emotional problems. My ex-fiance is in the medical profession as a partner in an anesthesia group. She has been socially shy for quite some time, and has only drank about a dozen times in the 10 years we had been together (being drunk less than half that amount). Though, now she is going out regularly socializing with a lot of people, and is drinking at least socially with friends. Just so much has changed in such a short amount of time.

When she says she wants to be single and live alone for awhile, or a few months, maybe she is trying to figure that out. Or, perhaps she is pining over the other guy hoping he'll come back. I really didn't feel she wanted to return to a relationship with me. I took it as she just really missed me as a friend (best friend). Someone she needed to talk to as her life feels like it is coming apart emotionally (like all of our's have when we were in the same situation). She needs to talk about this stuff, but really, am I the best person for this? I agree Sleep...these are the hard things to understand.

i dunno...maybe you truly are meant to be ''just friends''. but how do you deal with the whole ''awakening of feelings'' when you meet up. it just feels like there will always be unresolved issues...and that more often than not...one person always feels like maybe there is something more going on.

it's kind of a scary situation. i'm not sure i'll ever be able to walk down the friendship road...as much as i'd like to be able to. i'm really a little bit terrified of not being able to move on because of feelings that keep resurfacing. i think in a way...the fact that she can talk to you means that the bond you shared was very strong. she obviously trusts you. but i think i'd be wondering the same thing myself. am i the best person? i guess you're the only one that knows. if you've really moved on...then maybe you are the best person to talk to her. you can give her objectivity...without the complications of feelings. i dunno if that makes sense. i definitely agree with you though...these things just seem ridiculously complicated sometimes.

Well Sleep there are feelings that have been resurfacing. I suppose I know I have always had them, but I have not felt uneasy or restless in the past month and a half. Since seeing her I have been extremely confused and have been anticipating as well as antagonizing over my next move. She suggested meeting up again this Sunday which Maya suggested I make a plan for but I have been waiting for the right 'time' to contact her. I was almost hoping she would try and contact me first. I truly do want to remain her friend, but perhaps this is too early. This is because I do want to remain her lover and partner as well.

do you believe she has any of the same feelings? i don't know if you're feeling anxious...but i think just wondering what's going on in someone else's head tends to drive you a little mental that way. i get the impression that there's something there. i'm sure there'll come a point where she makes her intentions known...or that you feel you can tell her some of the things you've been thinking about. patience is pretty tough in these kinds of situations...hang in there.

Thanks Sleep. I don't know if she has any of the same feelings. A lot of people on here, and some of my day-to-day friends thinks that may be the case. Some have advised that because of this I need to back off and let her figure things out on her own. I am anxious to know, though I am careful to not probe. Its difficult no doubt.

well...i actually envy your situation. the fact that in your in a position where you're comfortable distancing yourself...and you're completely capable of being happy without her. i'd love to be feeling that right now. but at the same time...i think my life has been in desperate need of turmoil. not that i would ever ask for this...but i think it's really time that i went through a valuable life experience. as utterly painful as this is...i know that somewhere down the line it will feel worthwhile. for now...i need to figure myself out. i need to get through weekends without breaking down. for me...there are so many emotions...so many issues...that have been pushed away for so long. not sure if i've just been avoiding hard decisions...or if there is something from my past that has made me put up thick walls. all i know at this point is that something has broken inside of me...the flood gates have opened quite literally. i don't think i ever realized how much emotional baggage i've been carrying around...but it's seriously strained my relationships with people...most notably my ex girlfriend of 6 years. it's not who i chose to be.

it's who i am. maybe that's the first step...figuring out that i even have a problem. then...trying to figure out how i've affected the people around me.

i'm really not sure where to go from here. it feels daunting...the idea of starting from scratch...piecing things back together. i know it's supposed to get better...but the road ahead seems long...very long.

I did call her as suggested on Friday to hang out this weekend. I left a message, and she responded by text later saying she was on call and had been called in, but she wanted to hang out and her and the dogs were looking forward to seeing me.

I stopped by her house today, and immediately the dogs came running. My ex was saying to them, 'look whose here...go to dad'. She wanted to show me what she had been doing on her remodel. Had some paint swatches. Showed me the one her and her mother liked. Asked my opinion (which in the past I never gave). I went through and said which one I liked which was different. Then she asked about a couple others and I disagreed and said I liked the one I picked out, but it was her house. She said she liked it too and said she'd go with that instead.

We went out to lunch and talked a bit. There was a little bit of mention about the other guy and her breakup. It sounded like she was still taking it hard. I was telling her some things that worked well for me to get over my depression (talking with people, going out, journaling, reading, online forums, etc.). She did say she finally got on an anti-depressant which has been suggested to her in the past and she never did for other beliefs. She said how great it is to be able to talk about this stuff with me, and I told her I wasn't a 100% comfortable talking about all of it, that last week I wanted to get up and leave saying I am better than coming to hang out with you and listen about another guy who was with my her, but that I realized how recent it must have been and know how hard it was, and that these were the major things that have happened in our lives. I told her I would be willing to listen, and give advice, but perhaps I wasn't the best person to discuss this with. She asked about the girl I am kind of seeing right now, and I told her a bit about her, and my ex laughed, and said she felt bad for my situation. I told her that I felt bad for her's as she told me more about the relationship, how it ended, how it was etc., and how it is now.

Then we went shopping for some stuff for the animals, a couple groceries, she dropped off some movies at the movie store, and then we went to the hardware store to pick up the paint I picked out. We went back to her house, and hung out and talked for a while. She did say things about how happy she is that I called. How she really misses me. We talked more about relationships, psychology from books I had read. I talked to her about all the things I had been doing (journaling, working out, tanning, getting new clothes, playing tennis, my new job, opportunities for me, starting an intramural baseball team, talking with a counselor, etc.). She said she hopes she can get to where I am.

She asked to borrow some of the books I read. I mentioned how they were more geared towards guys. I did buy her a book called "Getting Back Together, How to Reconcile with your Partner and Make it Last". That was like two weeks after we broke up. It was the first book I read, and it really helped. Looking back it might not have been the best move obviously but I did it nonetheless. She said that maybe she will finally open it up and start reading it tonight. (I am thinking it is more for the other guy, but perhaps me, or perhaps just from some personal reflection).

She told me about the other guy and how he met her parents during Christmas when they were up, and how he says all the right things and they liked him. But she also talked to me about how quickly the 'I love yous' were exchanged, how quickly he moved in, and I mentioned some stuff on rebounds again that I had read and even reflecting on my situation. I said that I don't see my situation working out, but I wouldn't say the 'l' word because it is the idea of a feeling. That with her it took me nearly two years before I told her that I loved her. That caring happens for people early in a relationship regardless of the type of relationship and that she no doubt cares for this other guy, I don't blame her, and I care for this girl I am with now. Though, experiences, and tenure along with caring creates a love. She agreed and said she does still love me, and I told her I obviously do to her as well, and we kept on with the conversation.

She said she didn't feel she was ready to date yet, and that all of her friends are trying to set her up, that she has a link removed account and a bunch of weirdos are emailing her. She told me her friends and this other guys' friends keep reassuring her that breaking up with the other guy was for the best because he is a all the names in the book etc.

We laughed a lot, and I felt we were connecting a bit again.

She did show me her tattoo she got after we broke up (which is massive, and her first tattoo). There is still a part that needs to be filled in, but she said it hurts too much and she wants someone to go with her to get it finished to drive her. I took the bait and said I'd be willing, but probably wouldn't have a chance on a weekday anytime soon. Then she said they are open late on Saturdays. I told her how I had to be in town in two weeks on a Saturday to judge in the morning, then I am free, and I had to come back the next day for a concert I am in. She suggested going up to finish her tattoo that day, and then having me stay overnight for my concert the following day. She said it won't be weird, she doesn't want to lead me on, and would fix up the guest bed for me.

At the end she was stating how she would take my advice with this other guy, and kind of do nothing right now, don't respond to him or his girlfriend and be cordial to them if she sees them out. She told me she has no desire to be in a relationship with him again. She said she is happy just being by herself with the dogs, and having her best friend back in her life.

What do you think? Where do I go from here? Anything I should notice?

Archived