Border Collies - What are they like & Name suggestions!

villie
Are Golden Retrievers Good With Lit...
Are Golden Retrievers Good With Little Dogs

hey everyone,

im thinking of buying a border collie! They seem such a friendly dog. My neighbour has one and is gorgeous!!

I want a dog thats a little more playful but not too big!

Does any one here have a Border Collie? Are they a good dog around people? Is a boy or a girl a better option?

Any name suggestions for it? That is going to be the hardest thing! choosing its name!

thanks for any help!

VERY VERY VERY energetic. These are extremely smart dogs but they must be properly exercised, a great deal, or they can become destructive. The destruction is usually only the result of not enough exercise and boredom. The herding dogs are amongst the smartest of all breeds, but as i stated, extremely energetic. They dno't make good apt dogs and do not make good pets for sedentary owners. I don't know your lifestyle so you'll have to decide if they are right for you. LIke most all dogs, they do best when able to perform activities that closely match what they were originally bred to do. In the case of a Sheltie or Border Collie they are herding dogs and herding dogs got out there and ran a lot and had a specific job. If you have one and can keep it active, and maybe enrolled in dog agility courses and activities, they thrive and are very easy to train.

They are very cute and very friendly but until a person owns one they don't have a full concept of how much they need to be stimulated and exercised.

They are generally very good around people and children, but like all dogs it depends on their genetic predisposition as in the temperament they inherited from their specific parents. If poorly bred they could have a bad temperament, just like any dog. But as a general rule of thumb they are a good breed with people, and social dogs.

I only know they are a working dog and most working dogs need lots and lots of exercise and energy release. Probably not suitable for a small yard or no yard but if you have plenty of space and some time each day to take for a run then they seem like beautiful dogs.

Border Collies are consistently ranked as the number one smartest breed of dogs. They're very energetic and need lots of exercise and companionship, so unless someone is going to be home with him/her all day and you have a place to let them run, you should probably choose a different breed.

I love border collies. They are really good people dogs but need to be exercised properly or they can get destructive.

PLEASE look into a border collie rescue before buying a dog!! There are plenty of young border collies in rescue groups who are homeless & will love you just as much as a puppy would!

Border collies are very intelligent and loving. Understand that they do require a lot of care, as all pets do, but it is very much worth it. As the above posters have mentioned, make sure that he or she gets plenty of play and exercise. Please look into a rescue organization. These little guys and gals need a home.

I love border collies. They are really good people dogs but need to be exercised properly or they can get destructive.

PLEASE look into a border collie rescue before buying a dog!! There are plenty of young border collies in rescue groups who are homeless & will love you just as much as a puppy would!

I second this. If after much research (please do more research on the breed than just this thread) if you find this is a good breed for you, look into rescue. So many people buy a dog from a breeder then realize they can't handle the dog and surrender it to rescue. These are very good dogs who were mostly just a lifestlye mismatch for the owner in many cases. They are looking for a new forever home. Not only do you get a great pet at a fraction of the cost of a breeder price, you can also feel very good about saving a life.

I second this. If after much research (please do more research on the breed than just this thread) if you find this is a good breed for you, look into rescue. So many people buy a dog from a breeder then realize they can't handle the dog and surrender it to rescue. These are very good dogs who were mostly just a lifestlye mismatch for the owner in many cases. They are looking for a new forever home. Not only do you get a great pet at a fraction of the cost of a breeder price, you can also feel very good about saving a life.

Thank you, JS! Also want to add that many rescues have the dogs placed in foster homes, meaning they usually come housebroken and socialized. Takes a lot of the work away from doing the hard parts of training.

Google "border collie rescues [your city]" and you will find something closeby, I can almost guarantee it.

thank you everyone!

i will look into the rescue - see if theres anything like that here.

Ive only had one dog before and that was a jack russell! lol.

Im moving out of home at the end of the year and it would be good to have a dog, that is energetic and lively - also bit of a protector maybe - as i will be living by myself. I would take it out for a walk every day. I dont want to be sitting home in front of the tv all the time! It'll keep it active just as much as it will keep me active!

The garden would be kind small, but not too small. plenty of room for it to run around for sure! Im near the beach, so a walk down there would probably go down well!

I was thinking of getting it now, training it, and it will get used to be left alone during the day. THen when i move out it'll be like 10 months old.

Well here is one tip for you that i have learned thru out my years of dealing with dogs and dog owners. Only get a dog that is good for your 'natural' lifestyle. Never get a dog that will suit your 'hope for' lifestyle. What i mean by this is many a person who was not very active decided they needed to get an energetic dog to keep them active but what happens is after newness wears off and status quo presents itself, dog and owner are left with a bit of incompatibility and it frustrates them both, and often results in rehoming. If you are not energetic and away from that tv by nature, in other words, don't depend on the dog to keep you active! YOu have to be like that by choice ....

This is why i have a dachshund. I am very active but there are times my life gets too busy and i can't do it everyday as i would like. With a dachshund, they are easily exercised in a small area so i can still maintain her activity levels even when i am unable to get outdoors due to the job or other things that crop up in life.

I am not advocating a dachshund, however. They have other issues that need to be taken into account for, that was just an example.

Well here is one tip for you that i have learned thru out my years of dealing with dogs and dog owners. Only get a dog that is good for your 'natural' lifestyle. Never get a dog that will suit your 'hope for' lifestyle. What i mean by this is many a person who was not very active decided they needed to get an energetic dog to keep them active but what happens is after newness wears off and status quo presents itself, dog and owner are left with a bit of incompatibility and it frustrates them both, and often results in re homing. If you are not energetic and away from that tv by nature, in other words, don't depend on the dog to keep you active! YOu have to be like that by choice ....

GREAT advice.

I got a boxer b/c I thought they were cute. I didn't research the breed at all. They are NUTS and require so much exercise. I was not prepared for that at all when I got my dog and luckily we adjusted to each other and have reached a compromise, but it was a struggle.

I would take it out for a walk every day. I dont want to be sitting home in front of the tv all the time! It'll keep it active just as much as it will keep me active!

The garden would be kind small, but not too small. plenty of room for it to run around for sure! Im near the beach, so a walk down there would probably go down well!

I was thinking of getting it now, training it, and it will get used to be left alone during the day. THen when i move out it'll be like 10 months old.

Ok, not to dampen your enthusiasm, but taking it for 1 walk every day is NOT going to be enough exercise for a border collie. At all.

This is a dog that needs a TON of exercise- like a solid hour or 2 of running in a dog park, or in the woods, or something like that.

Plus, if you are going to be gone all day- I don't think an energetic dog like that is the right choice. Are you willing to get up 1 or 2 hours earlier to give it a good workout before you go to work? Because that's what it'll need.

Ok, not to dampen your enthusiasm, but taking it for 1 walk every day is NOT going to be enough exercise for a border collie. At all.

This is a dog that needs a TON of exercise- like a solid hour or 2 of running in a dog park, or in the woods, or something like that.

Plus, if you are going to be gone all day- I don't think an energetic dog like that is the right choice. Are you willing to get up 1 or 2 hours earlier to give it a good workout before you go to work? Because that's what it'll need.

Yea i agree and that is why i created the post above. These are VERY active dogs and I am trying to really impress upon her the fact that they need a ton of not only exercise but activities to keep them from getting bored.

The number one reason BC's are rehomed or relegated to rescue is because the owners mis-imagined the level of activity they need and thought they were destructive dogs. They are only destructive in a mismatched environment.

The number one reason BC's are rehomed or relegated to rescue is because the owners mis-imagined the level of activity they need and thought they were destructive dogs. They are only destructive in a mismatched environment.

Yes, I see this a lot with one of the breeds I have- the beagle. My beagle is awesome, but she needs a TON of exercise and lots of training, otherwise she can be very destructive. After a beagle won the Westminster Dog Show last year, there was a big upswing in people buying beagles, and now the beagle rescue group near me is seeing a big spike in beagles in shelters. They were bought by people who only saw how cute they are, and didn't investigate their exercise & training needs. It sucks.

Yes, I see this a lot with one of the breeds I have- the beagle. My beagle is awesome, but she needs a TON of exercise and lots of training, otherwise she can be very destructive. After a beagle won the Westminster Dog Show last year, there was a big upswing in people buying beagles, and now the beagle rescue group near me is seeing a big spike in beagles in shelters. They were bought by people who only saw how cute they are, and didn't investigate their exercise & training needs. It sucks.

Ah, yea the upswing in breed sales is always a pain. Anytime a breed is brought into the media everyone wants one.

I had a beagle once and one thing i remember about her was that she had the most razor sharp little teeth i had ever seen on a pup. She was my last beagle! LOL She was a childhood dog and my mom did great with her, but i won't get one for myself. LOL I know i don't have the energy for one! Cutest dog ever tho!

Ah, yea the upswing in breed sales is always a pain. Anytime a breed is brought into the media everyone wants one.

ugh i know it. pisses me off. i used to love dog shows so much but now i can't watch them b/c i get so pissed about the breeding stuff. and i refuse to see Marley and Me b/c they bought the dog and now everyone wants that type of dog. angers me so much.

oh wow, thanks every one. im glad i posted!

i haven't done any reseaching at all on the breed - YET! will find out more. i'll speak to my neighbour too who has one.

Does anybody know of any other breeds that are similar to a border collie, yet not as active?

6 months ago i was set on getting this little tea cup chiauahua or something! Only coz it was so TINY and so CUTE, but i'd be affraid i'd loose or step on it.

I'll be living alone, so a bigger dog that can act as a guard dog would be handy... but dont want a 'nasty' dog.

Hi I have a border collie & it is a fantastic dog but i dont think it sounds quite right for your situation. My dog cant stay still long enough for me to hug and pat her, she always just wants to play! She needs A LOT of exercise and has a huge yard to run around in but needs someone to play with her and run around with her. What i'm trying to say is if she gets left alone she doesnt run around and exercise herself like you might imagine, she is more likely to get frustrated and chew the out door furniture to pieces, bark non stop and dig holes everywhere!

A breed similar to border collies in the fact that they are also very friendly, smart & easy to train are Labradors. They are much more happier to sit with you for a pat, have an afternoon nap etc. Not so energetic

Labs are not as energetic when they are out of the puppy stage. They can be quite destructive in the ages from ten weeks to one years old if not properly exercised and entertained. most dogs are like that. I agree with everything in your post and my suggestion for the OP is to not get a puppy but rather a dog that is one year or older that has been housetrained, properly socialized and out of the destructive phase that requires tons of attention. A breed such as a lab is good, or a cocker spaniel is good if a smaller dog is what the OP is looking for.

I can't even adequately comment on the Teacup Chi aspect of her last post without feeling the hair stand up on my neck. Breeders who breed these already small dogs down to that small of size are notoriously BAD breeders who care nothing about the breed health and more about their wallet. It is NOT healthy to get a teacup size of ANYTHING. Basically the breeders are taking the runts and smallest (and usually the most unhealthy) of their litters and continuoulsy breeding them in an effort to get these tiniest of creatures. A good breeder will ONLY breed the healthiest of his or her dogs, not the most unhealthy and that is what is occurring with these teacup breeders. These teacups are almost always so full of health problems that the high price tag the 'bad' breeders charge is only the tip of the iceberg ... your wallet will also run dry running back and forth to the vet trying to keep these little things healthy. Please never support these incredibly bad breeders by buying a teacup size of any dog. Teacups are a fancy name for dogs that come from backyard breeders and puppy mills who have no concept of healthy breeding, NOR do they care aobut it. They only care about making it little and cute to woo you and sucker you in.

Just want to throw in there that Labs are sporting/hunting breed and need a lot of exercise too. It depends on their personality, you may find a 'couch potato' lab that is content with 1-2 walks a day but don't count on that, as a whole they are very active and need as much exercise and stimulation as any large breed working/sporting dog. I've known some 14 year old Labs that were as hyper then as when they were puppies. I have one (6 years old) and she needs a lot of stimulation and exercise.

If you search Lab Rescues you may be able to find an older dog that is happy with just a short few walks a day and cuddling on the sofa for the rest of her time.

The difference with an energetic lab and an energetic little lap dog is the lab is so large that even a lab that is only moderately active can seem rather overwhelming to an owner who is not very active him or herself.

To Hers, yea, these breeders are really horrible. The internet is FULL of these charlatans passing off these little unhealthy babies as "designer teacups". Unfortunately for the puppies the only way to put these people out of business is to stop buying from them and that can be done thru awareness like posts like this and talking to people you meet who are in the market for a new pup. A teacup chi is almost never going to be healthy - when they are it is the rare occasion vs the norm. They tend to be born with PDA's more than their healthier counterparts and other defects because like i said before the breeders take the runts of the litters (and the runts normally are 'runts' due to some type of health abnormality) and keep breeding them until they get these tiny little pups. Chi's are small enough, they don't need to be bred to be tinier. And what good is a dog you have to fear stepping on like a hamster?

Yes, they are fabulously 'cute' but that doesnt mean they are healthy.

thank you! (espically to jadedstar, very helpful!).

Yeah, the 'teacup' dog or 'miniture' ones ive seen, look absolutely adorable , and thats what is gonna get you to buy them. But i would think they'd have a lot of health problems. Same as these breeds that a totally mixed. doesn't seem that right.

Thanks for the suggestion about a lab.

What about a golden retrevier? i remember they had one on the tv show Full house back in the day! haha.

I'd be getting it soon-ish, it wouldn't be left alone by itsself for more than a couple of hours, and then gradually more. It'll be like 8-9 months by the time i move out with it.

since i'll be living alone, im also looking if it'll be a bit of a guard dog too.

Archived