How do you know if you are...

ShyKawaii89

Bipolar? Something happened to me today and yeah it was bad but it was a really minor thing and it just completely crushed my spirit. I know I'll be over it in a day or two and it's something really stupid but I just feel horribly depressed. As I was thinking about it I realized that little things can just set me off into extreme feelings of happiness, sadness, excitement, etc. But I read that bipolar people never just have moments where they don't particularly feel one way or another and I have a lot of moments like that. So does that just mean I'm really emotional? How do you know if your bipolar?

If you are really, really worried about it, go see someone who can diagnose you. Like a doctor. There are SOO many things that can affect us females emotionally, though. Stress and that time of the month are just a few factors. I have to say that by the time I was 19 or 20, I started getting PMS WAY worse than when I was in my early teens. I would get angry or sad for no real reason and I didn't understand it at first. Our bodies continue to change our whole lives, not just when we are going through puberty. But, like I said, if you are really worried, get yourself checked out.

Best wishes!

If you are bipolar, nothing "sets you off", these moods just happen.

When it comes to the "highs" or manias, it isn't happiness, which is the probably the most misunderstood aspect of bipolar. It is a MANIA. You are absolutely running around in a frenzy, with high risk taking behavior which can include drinking binges or out of control shopping sprees, starting projects that are beyond the scope of your ability, having feelings of grandiosity or being chosen for a mission. You also can have very severe anxiety and irritability, possibly becoming violent.

If you aren't experiencing these manias, it is unlikely you are bipolar. When properly controlled, most bipolar people are just like normal people. When untreated, there really are very few times when they feel neither one way or another. It is most common with bipolar type 2, which is long cycling.

However, you could be having clinical depression, which is just as serious. You should talk to your doctor, and possibly get a referral to a psychiatrist. They will be able to evaluate your situation. You just have to be honest about the depths of your depression, and your feelings, for a correct diagnosis.

Archived