I HATE Valentine's Day

Mguy92

Aside from it being a Hallmark holiday, it's an annoying event where people tend to get into relationships with each other and boast about it. I'm 16, and I'm seeing so many people my age getting into relationships and I can't. I don't know how more specifically. Girls are starting to pick up on my social awkwardness and it's killing me. Ok...not going to turn this into a rant, but I'm sure there are other people who feel the same. Anyone else have a vehement hatred of Valentine's Day?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it makes single people feel worthless and unloved. I don't like it at the moment but I think I would if I was in a relationship.

Even if I was in a relationship, I'd still refer to it as a Hallmark holiday and nothing more. Obviously I'd do something for my girlfriend on Valentine's Day, but seeing as I don't have one, I feel like miserable * * * * . Bah...women just don't like me.

i dunno - i try to see it as a celebration of love (and 50% off chocolates on Feb 15th!!!!) i'm single, but tomorrow i'm taking a dance class, and then at night, having dinner with a friend and watching a movie. my friend is in a long-distance relationship and they can't see each other this weekend. i think it will be a very fun day anyways. try to be positive about it!

I'm doing the having my favourite meal/watching my favourite movie this evening routine...here in Aus it's already gone midday today and I'm looking forward to it. I sent off some nice ecards through email and the post to a couple of special friends I have overseas and them getting back to me cheered me up, that gave me some Valentine cheer. I'd love it even more if I had a special someone to share it with but there are loads of other alternatives I think!

Remember, it's not the holiday people seem to hate. After all, if you are IN LOVE, it can be a wonderful day to SHOW the person you love them (and I'm not talking some cheesy Hallmark card with no thought!)!!! Sad thing is that no one seems to give a CRAP about showing someone they love that they love them. I have a hard time with anyone who hates VDAY b/c it's like saying they hate Christmas because they have to buy gifts. YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT!!!!!!!!!

Besides, it's Happy "Singles Awareness Day" for those of us not celebrating a love.

I don't understand how people hate Valentine's day.

I'm in a relationship and I don't put a lot of effort into V-Day. But, I could never understand how people hated a day based on chocolates, flowers, and making love.

A lot of people complain that this day is commercialized. However, it never was an actual meaningful holiday. So, nothing was tainted. If you want to complain about commercialization, complain about christmas or easter. Days that actually had a meaning.

V-day came from nothing meaningful. Sure, there were some pagean fertility feasts around the time of V-day. And, there was a saint valentine's day but he was martyed and he really didn't have a connection to love or anything of the sort. So, Vday really was nothing to begin with. There is nothing to taint.

If you are in a couple, it's a cute little day about flowers, songs, and having sex. What's to hate about that?

If you aren't in a relationship in this time, it's not a big deal. It's just another day.

The first Vday I was actually in a relationship for was when I was 18. It wasn't a big deal when I actually got a boyfriend. I think he made me a card. Not much changes from being in a relationship to being out of a relationship. I think you are putting too much thought into this.

VDay is actually from a mystical event about LOVE. While there are many estimations of the true origin of the holiday the following are some possibilities:

One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men — his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

** So... I guess you could say we are celebrating false love in order to escape war and death? How apropos!

According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl — who may have been his jailor's daughter — who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most popular saints in England and France.

and...

Numerous early Christian martyrs were named Valentine.[4] Until 1969, the Catholic Church formally recognized eleven Valentine's Days. The Valentines honored on February 14 are Valentine of Rome (Valentinus presb. m. Romae) and Valentine of Terni (Valentinus ep. Interamnensis m. Romae).[5] Valentine of Rome[6] was a priest in Rome who suffered martyrdom about AD 269 and was buried on the Via Flaminia. His relics are at the Church of Saint Praxed in Rome.[7] and at Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church in Dublin, Ireland.

Valentine of Terni[8] became bishop of Interamna (modern Terni) about AD 197 and is said to have been killed during the persecution of Emperor Aurelian. He is also buried on the Via Flaminia, but in a different location than Valentine of Rome. His relics are at the Basilica of Saint Valentine in Terni (Basilica di San Valentino).[9]

The Catholic Encyclopedia also speaks of a third saint named Valentine who was mentioned in early martyrologies under date of February 14. He was martyred in Africa with a number of companions, but nothing more is known about him.[10]

No romantic elements are present in the original early medieval biographies of either of these martyrs. By the time a Saint Valentine became linked to romance in the fourteenth century, distinctions between Valentine of Rome and Valentine of Terni were utterly lost.[11]

People from all walks of life have a reason somewhere to hate Valentine's day.

To those who have never been in a relationship before, it's just another dreaded day that reinforces the idea that life sucks because nobody likes you enough to have a relationship.

To those who are in a relationship, it reinforces that the guy has to supplicate to the woman, spend money on her and put her on a pedistle rather than the other way around. You are on a guilt-trip if you don't do something for your SO and feel obligated.

To those who are players and juggle girls or like cheating on their girlfriends, they hate that day because it means they have to stick with one girl for that whole day and cant juggle a few others because each girl wants all their time for that day. (Have no sympathy for that)

My official position on this day, is it's just another day. I'm going to go to my office as usual. I'm going to go to an auto show convention to see what my future car could be so I can pray for it. Perhaps I'll use it as an excuse to call some female friends and hopefully build or strengthen connectoins, maybe not.

If I had a relationship, I probably wouldn't need to accentuate anything on Valentine's day, because every day would be Valentine's day if it's a good relationship. If it's a bad relationship, then this day is just an excuse to maintain some sort of deception that things are really not that bad.

I don't see why any one would have a need to hate Valentine's day?

I mean if your single it's just another day, that's it... You was single the day before and most likely will be the day after, so why let that one particiular day bring you down?

Because you know that someone you have feelings for, who does not have feelings for you, is going to be with another guy.

Archived