When did you have enough, and had to move out?

Cirquel

For a couple of years now, I've seen my family situation get to a point where I feel like it's time to make some difficult decisions in my life. I've spent far too long pleasing everybody else but myself... I don't think my relationship with my mom will EVER improve so long as we're under the same roof... etc...

I wanted to know... for those of you who have a bad relationship with your parents, when did you decide to leave home? And what was the reason for your leaving?

How old are you??

I've always found that my relationship with my family is better when we are apart. My mom was living with me for a few weeks and we didn't get along very well. Once she left I can't go a day or two without talking to her. It works

I'm 22.

I hear that happens often. Hope it will be the same for me!

That.... sounds terrible.

What was the 'agreement'?

That they would pay for my food and lodging and I would pay for my entertainment. On the way back they had some financial thing and rather than go to the trouble of contacting their bank for some extra funds (they did have the money, plenty) they chose to rearrange our agreement and make me responsible for my food. I sat through nine meals watching them eat.

That they would pay for my food and lodging and I would pay for my entertainment. On the way back they had some financial thing and rather than go to the trouble of contacting their bank for some extra funds (they did have the money, plenty) they chose to rearrange our agreement and make me responsible for my food. I sat through nine meals watching them eat.

That is absolutely terrible and shocking... *sigh*. Have you sought to improve your relationship with them since?

That is absolutely terrible and shocking... *sigh*. Have you sought to improve your relationship with them since?

Oh yes. We were able to get past it. One thing though, I never fully trusted them again. I don't think they were aware enough to know what it was they were actually doing. They weren't bad people by any means. It was pretty weird. Only two or three things like that ever happened to me growing up so it's not like they were monsters or anything, just way overly clueless at odd intervals. lol

I left home at 19, but it was incredibly difficult as I was still a full-time university student with very little income. As stressful as family life can get, it is sometimes very difficult to live out on your own if you're young. I regret moving out of home too early, even though my relationship with my mum was terrible.

I left home at 19, but it was incredibly difficult as I was still a full-time university student with very little income. As stressful as family life can get, it is sometimes very difficult to live out on your own if you're young. I regret moving out of home too early, even though my relationship with my mum was terrible.

Thank you for sharing...

This is poignant to me, because I've been going through the same sort of thing. I've been trying to weigh the odds of moving out and trying to make it on my own, versus staying here and putting up with my mom's abuse...

This is poignant to me, because I've been going through the same sort of thing. I've been trying to weigh the odds of moving out and trying to make it on my own, versus staying here and putting up with my mom's abuse...

I was the same- moved out at 18 because of a rough relationship with my mom. School was tougher because I worked a lot. In fact, it took three semesters (that I had to do over) just to be decent at that kind of time management. I worked a full and a part-time job and always took at least 16 units. It was hell.

My advice is: don't dig yourself into a hole by moving out without a very solid financial plan. It will come back to haunt you ](*,)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived