how would you feel about this?

r3ni

My girlfriend of ~9 months cheated on me. Several months into our relationship she told me she had been seeing someone else but ended it with them because she wanted to be exclusive with me. I was already under the impression that we were exclusive, but we hadn't explicitly discussed it so I didn't hold it against her. Then a few months later I discovered she was cheating on me with this same guy. I was really * * * * ed up by this, but after about a week of not talking we had a long conversation and the end result was that I would give her another chance. Things went pretty well, she went to therapy for awhile and did a lot of hard work to regain my trust. About a month ago I realized that I trusted her again and I forgave her. During the few months she was earning back my trust she decided she should trust herself again and thus it was OK to be friends with him. Around the same time I realized I could trust her again and forgave her he made a play to get her back. She was tempted and they kissed. Blah blah blah.

She told me about it soon after and that it made her realize she was finally really over him and there was no chance of ever going back to him, she loved him but she could never cheat on me again and she couldn't leave me for him. She wants to keep being the guys friend and to hang out with him. Alone.

How would you feel about this situation?

Past actions predict future actions. People don't really change that much very fast. If she has cheated on you with him twice and you've taken her back both times, then she's going to just do it again. It would be different if she was going to alienate this guy from her life, but you said she wants to hang out with him "as friends" alone?? I would definitely break up with her. It doesn't seem like she cares about you at all.

This is the biggest bunch of BS I heard lately.. come hon, please stop letting her use you as a doormat....darn this irks me....your so very sweet to have given this wishy washy girl a second chance...one time would have done it for me.

'SHE SAID SHE STILL LOVES HIM"... AND SHE WANTS TO HANG WITH HIM WITHOUT YOU?? Not in a million years!

Once a cheater, always a cheater - I really do believe this saying and I've experienced it first hand. She said she broke it off with him to be with you exclusively. But then she breaks that deal and goes to him again. She goes to therapy to sort herself out. But then she kisses him again.

To be honest, I don't think she will ever be able to be entirely faithful in this situation. I am certain something will happen with her and this guy again. You probably deserve much better...

Break it off with her. She is a cake eater. Be real frank with her. Tell her that "your obsession with keeping this guy around has shined a light on just what an incredible narcissist you are. Your love is greedy. You want all the commitment and none of the sacrifice" You may feel all in control when your ex boyfriend comes on to you continually. He obviously still loves you. I find it sadistic for you to keep stringing him along. And I will not hang around worrying about having a disagreement or an argument with you, only to find that you let the ex-boyfriend you keep in your back pocket screw you yet again, shattering my world. Your half hearted commitment to me, your making me a cuckold with this guy, your refusal to stop seeing him (in every way) has shined a light on want I don't want for my life.......You. You may now go and find another man who will accept your limited depth of love and commitment. Please don't call or contact me in any way."

It has only been 9 months and all this has happened already??? You can find 100 girls that will treat you this badly anyday, but this early in a relationship if you are having problems of this calibur and fidelity issues im scared to see what the future will bring. Just realllly think about what you want and need, do not put her above your needs in a relationship.

Are you kidding me? She is playing you like a chump.... I soooo would have kick her to the curb.

Do you honestly, truly believe that she is over him? She wants to hang out with him alone? Tell her to go for it, because you are done with her. She can spend all the time she wants with him.

She's a sleeze.

You have already given her too many chances and each time she has failed you, disrespected you and laughed. If you do not get rid of her now, it will do much worse to your self esteem.

Don't be a doormat, she needs to be put in her place. Oh, don't forget to say goodbye to her for ever.

Infidelity is a dealbreaker for me. I know when you're in a marriage situation with kids and all, it's a lot easier said than done, and in my opinion, that's the only time there would MAYBE, MAYBE be a possibility to try and work it out, just because there's so much at stake.

You have none of these things at stake. You have no children with her, you're not married. I don't see a reason to work this out. You have been together less than a year and she can't be faithful. That's nothing but trouble, and in my opinion, not worth the effort to save the relationship.

Only you can decide how to react to her actions. Many will say "always a cheater". I don't necessarily believe that. Love is a process. Again, if you decided to end it, I wouldn't blame ya. If you stick with her, then that is understandable too. Sometimes it is difficult to just walk away. We only know about her actions lately, you probably have more insight into her as a person. Does she bring positive energy into your life? Does she bring negative energy? Do you think a relationship with her will bring healthy, positive results to your life?

As for her wanting to maintain a "relationship" with this guy. Sorry I really don't even think that should be an option. Sadly it shouldn't be you having to mandate this. It should be her decision / realization that with him around she isn't giving your relationship the right attention. This is the part that I would have a hard time accepting. Her inability to recognize this as a bad idea is concerning.

Good luck

You are an incredible person to be able to forgive your girlfriend for cheating on you, not once, but twice....

but unfortunately, I predict a third time to come... "She wants to keep being the guys friend and to hang out with him. Alone." Eff that. really........ She hurt you twice and she should NOT want to ever see this other man again because of her past with him. If she really cared about you then she would not be able to even handle being around him. Trust me with that..... I feel sick to my stomach remembering my mistakes.

You are kidding right? Seriously?

Look man... Ill just be blunt. Shes a lying, cheating, * * * * * . Period, end of story.

Sorry, I cheated, Sorry I cheated again, sorry I cheated again, I wont do it again, ok Im in love with this other guy, but I want you, sorry I cheated, no no were just watching movies (naked in bed) I wont cheat. Wise up bro, dump this girl.

Look at it like this:

Put your hand on a hot stove. Got burned right? Now do it again. Still burns doesnt it? Wanna try it again? Didnt think so.

Sorry to hear your story. I don't think you should go back to this woman. Sounds like she's already had her third strike (that you know of) and that's just too many. She will be tempted again.

If you decide to stay with her though there needs to be some rules in place and number 1 being that you will beak up with her if you ever catch her talking or emailing the other guy.

My girlfriend of ~9 months cheated on me.

I discovered she was cheating on me with this same guy.

she decided she should trust herself again and thus it was OK to be friends with him

She was tempted and they kissed.

she loved him

She wants to keep being the guys friend and to hang out with him. Alone.

How would you feel about this situation?

Thank you and goodnight.

Agree with others and wanted to add something. Regardless of whether there has been an exclusivity talk, continuing to date and sleep with someone for several months while sleeping with someone else is wrong if not disclosed unless it was an understanding from the start. Don't let her use the lack of an official talk as justification for her earlier behavior.

Everyone else pretty much summed up what you should do. I just wanted to add something:

Around the same time I realized I could trust her again and forgave her he made a play to get her back. She was tempted and they kissed. Blah blah blah.

You are in "ignore bad things and only look at slim signs of hope" mode! Don't just play her actions off as "blah blah blah." Just because she apologized for one act doesn't mean she can do it again and it is OK for you to ignore or downplay. She is playing you like a fiddle with no regard for your emotional or physical (STDs anyone?) health!

Stop being a doormat and be a man. Put your foot down. You need to walk away from this disaster of a human being. The longer you continue to doormat yourself for her, the less respect she and anyone else who knows you will have for you! There are healthier people out there. You have better luck finding one of them and being happy before you are able to change this woman. Now get on with it!

That is abosolutely the truth man. When a chick sees a guy who basically tucks tail and begs to be kept around, or begs for her to treat him right it just looks pathetic. It looks pathetic to him, to her, to the other guy, to anyone who sees it. Now you should never in a million years give this chick another chance. But just for the sake of discussion... if you came home tonight and said GET OUT im done with you, done with your cheating etc. etc. etc. she would have MORE respect for you than she does now. Granted she would probably be mad, but she would be mad at a man whom she at least knows has a spine. As opposed to disinterested and unattracted to a man with his tail between his legs.

I dont' think she deserves any more chances from you. She has proven that she will say what she knows you want to hear to keep you around. You are her back burner boyfriend. She is keeping you around cuz she knows you will take care of her. You need to leave her no account cheating a** and move on.

*Once a cheater, always a cheater*

Not always true. As a reformed cheater, I can attest that if you want something bad enough you will do whatever you have to do to get it. She obviously doesnt love you enough to stop. It's that simple.

answer from a former cheater...NOPE dont let her hang out with him...she thinks she has you convinced, but i'm pretty sure it's an excuse to be with him. (thats what I did!). She probably hasnt stopped seeing him. i had my ex convinced for almost a year that I wasnt seeing anyone else...and that was a lie! Honey, I think you better let her go...she's cheating, and at this point in her life, I dont think she is ready to stop. Sorry to be so harsh, but it is first hand expirience...and she admitted she still loves him. do you think she can really hang out with him, and nOT sleep with him? BS!!

You have a lot of patience and a big heart forgiving her for this childish stupidity. I would have walked away long time ago, especially after the last kissing stunt. If you decide to stay do yourself a favor and tell her you want her never to have any contact with this guy again be it alone, in mixed settings, through phone or even through email. If she doesn't agree to that I would give her the middle finger, turn around and walk away. She is asking you to be able to spend alone time with a guy she cheated on you three times with and told you she still loves and you are asking what you should do? Give her a big NO for an answer and walk away if she is not okay with that

Archived