Valentine's Day: A tricky situation!

LemonCheesecak

I discussed my recent break up with my girlfriend of 2.5 years in a deleted thread after she felt we had "grown apart" and after some great advice from members here I decided I'd make a suggestion to her.

Instead of spending Valentine's Day afternoon sat at our separate homes on our own (the people we live with both work Saturday afternoons) I suggested we do something fun together and suggested either catching a movie or baking a cake. She seemed really enthusiastic about the latter and so we're going ahead with it. I'm treating it as a strictly "friends only" affair, even though I would really like to reform some sort of romantic relationship with her, but I thought I'd really like to do something for her, a small gesture what with it being the 14th and all. Just a simple bunch of flowers, no roses or anything. I know if I were her I'd appreciate not receiving NO gifts that day.

But I suppose I'm just looking for a bit more advice on this, I don't want to alienate her entirely as if all I can be is a friend then I don't want to ruin it, we were incredibly close. Good idea? Bad idea?

I'm in the exact same situation! We were dating for a lot less time, though.

I think that if you get her a present, you should get her something non-romantic. That way she doesn't think you're trying to get back together.

I went ahead and got the guy a present... but I'd been planning the thing beforehand and I didn't want it to go to waste.

It's a terrible time of year to be in such a situation eh?

I'm sure, like me, you just wanna do something nice for them, put a smile on their face? I don't see why a gift on Valentine's day needs to be romantic, instead of just a way of showing you care and think about someone even if you've hit a problem patch recently.

I think its a safe bet to go into this meet-up with no expectations. That way you don't set yourself up for disappointment and if anything does come of it, you've lost nothing. That's what I'm doing. I'm just looking forward to seeing this girl for the first time since we broke up in what has been a horrible week of constantly thinking about her, lost sleep, lost appetite and increased alcohol dependence (hit me hard huh?).

It can only be what you make it. If you both go in with the intentions of just having fun together then I can imagine it'll just be one more fond memory, and if he has intentions of something more I'm sure he'll let you know and you can work on something.

I'll keep that in mind. I must admit, when he said he still wanted to come over for Valentine's Day my first thought was, "Maybe we'll get back together!!"

My week has been sleeping away the pain, crying because I don't want to be with the ex, crying because I realized I do, not eating and then realizing I lost a ridiculous amount of weight and wondering if my ex will find this attractive.

I'm curious; how're you doing personal-space on this one? For example... are you still gonna cuddle up on the couch, would you sit next to the person or would you lay down on the other couch just so it's not awkward? (Just asking Lemon... that way the thread isn't hijacked.)

I know, I'm excited about a day together also.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to play this one. Obviously cake making can be a messy process, so I'll maybe test the waters with a bit of messing around with the icing or whatever at first to see how comfortable she is around me but I'm probably opting for a separate couch to be on the safe side, but if I get called accross I'm there by all means. Another thought is grabbing your seat first, and seeing how they respond?

Archived