What are the chances?

Girl79

What are the chances of a relationship lasting if you start off as good friends first? I can't help but wonder if say you have an incredible connection and friendship with someone of the opposite sex, if you ended up with feelings for each other and acted on these feelings, what are the chances of it lasting? Are they better because you know each other and have spent alot of time together, and because you have this huge strong basis of friendship? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? If you have an intense bond of friendship, can it become more? Is it BETTER to start off with a strong base of friendship, as opposed to meeting and dating right away? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

I definitely think that relationships that grow from friendships last the longest. You already know a lot about the person and the nervousness/anxiety/etc that comes with dating a stranger is absent. You're already comfortable with each other and know that you get along and can have fun together, so it just gets better. In most cases, I think.

Provided that both parties genuinely develop strong romantic/sexual feelings for the other (I say this because I don't think it's unusual for people to mistake strong friendship feelings for romantic feelings, and then later on down the road realize there's no romantic "spark"), I think relationships based on friendships may have a greater chance of success.

When you enter a relationship with someone you didn't know as a friend, you can be sort of blinded by your romantic/sexual attraction to them. So much so that you may overlook basic incompatibilities in terms of personality. And then when the romantic/sexual feelings start to calm down (after the honeymoon phase), you realize that you might not be left with all that much. Where relationships are based on true, strong friendships, the romantic/sexual stuff is more like the exciting icing on an already amazing cake. The substance is there from the beginning, and it isn't going to go away. I also think that when romantic/sexual feelings develop over time, and as a result of deeper friendship compatibility (rather than based on superficial physcial attraction), they're likely to stick around longer.

Well in my situation…I was drunk and had sex with my friend lol. (Lame excuse…but I was lonely…and I liked him a lot… obviously he felt physically attracted to me as well)…and from a result we became better friends. (Not friends with benefits). ..

Our relationship has come a long way…and we both care about each other a lot (especially romantically..) we’re just trying to take it slow and let me have time to fully regain my religion and get my life in order…

Friends as a starting basis is great honestly… you already understand the persons traits and it’s easier to maintain a romantic relationship.

You just have to be careful. If you find them attractive, flirt with them more then you would your other friends…Otherwise you might get the other person feeling as if they’re “just a friend”. And they’ll proceed to dating someone else. It’s like dating, but not. If that makes since lol

Archived