Love and dreams and realistic expectations...

Seymore

Ok, please don't think I'm nuts. This is going to sound really dumb, but here goes...

When I was younger, maybe 8 or 9, I had a dream. The dream was: I was at my grandma's house, and there was a girl in the neighbor's yard. I spoke with her, just a few words, but something inside of me told me she was special. I felt truly, truly happy just being near her, and I mean wanting to cry happy. That dream stuck with me through today (I'm 29 now).

Over the years, maybe once a year, I'd have a dream similar to the one I had in the last paragraph. I'd be near a girl and based on how I felt around her, I got the feeling that it was the same girl from my dream when I was younger. She looked different every time - blonde, brunette, short, tall...appearance varied, but I still felt at peace around her. Happy. Like she was my angel. I'd wake up almost wanting to sing. She didn't even have to touch me. I could see the love in her eyes. No matter what she looked like, I knew it was her.

I've never, ever felt this way on my own. I never had a girlfriend who made me feel this way. I mean, I've been in love, but never felt like this. If I did, I wouldn't care about the occasional issues or about things like sex. I wouldn't care about her upbringing, etc. I mean, this was like being in a different world.

Sometimes I try to make myself dream about her, but it doesn't work - she comes to me when she feels like it. Different setting every time, different look, but I KNOW it's her.

Anyway, my question is: Is it unrealistic to believe that I could find someone in the real world who makes me feel this way? I mean, not 24/7, but much of the time. And is it possible to fall in love or feel this way just by being near someone? I've never experienced such overwhelming feeling in my life, and I want that - at the risk of sounding like a dork, it's literally a feeling that is beyond anything else I've felt. Am I being unrealistic in thinking this could happen in real life, that I could find the person who makes me feel so strongly? And has it happened to any of you?

I mean...this feeling. I can't talk enough about it - it's so powerful.

You're not alone, I've had a couple dreams in my life exactly how you describe. In mine I met a girl in New York and she showed me around the city. I woke up still feeling like I was in love for a good hour, all the way until I got to work that morning. Unfortunately I've never felt that kind of thing with an actual person. I'm afraid it's only the kind of thing that can happen in movies and dreams, but it's nice to hope it'll happen. I think the feeling you describe is based on that innocent kind of love one feels during childhood crushes, before sex and hormones clouded up the picture. Pure love.

I believe ANYTHING is possible. Live life as usual...you never know when that girl comes out of your dream and stands right in front of you.

I'm just a dreamer like you... Remember that NOTHING in life is true or false. Whatever you believe to be true, is most definitely true.

Thanks for the responses - it's nice to know that people can relate, whether they've found it or experienced such dreams.

The thing I think about is that if I had the capability to feel that way in my dream, I should be able to in real life, right? And maybe it isn't a girl making me feel that way, maybe it's something from within? I don't know...sometimes I get close to that feeling on my own, but it comes and goes so quickly. Like on a perfect, sunny day with just the right song playing, but even then it comes without warning, like I can't control it.

I stumbled upon your post a couple of days ago and saved it so that I could tell you about a dream my husband had. He had this dream when he was 12. He has only had it once but it made such an impression on him that it enabled him to have the faith he needed to find love. To find me. So do I believe that dreams can show you something that you wouldn't see otherwise.....absolutely. The girl in his dream was just sitting. He was walking by and had his head down and she told him 'It's hard to find love if you're looking down' It just stuck with him.

Archived