Protein?

I work out three days a week with 30 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes of weights. I also walk a lot (to school and back and forth on campus for classes), and up and down stairs at work daily. I'm supposed to consume roughly 2300 calories a day. However, how much protein should I be working into my diet to make sure I tone up well and retain energy?

I tried finding something online but it only gave answers for men. I try to work as much meat as I can into my diet, but on days when I don't have it or don't have time to prepare, how much should I AT LEAST be getting?

Also, are eggs good or bad for you? The health experts keep changing their mind and I don't know who to believe. I love eggs (yes, yolk and all) and eat one or two a day. Is that too much?

LASTLY, I want to make sure I get plenty of fiber in my diet but I am trying to cut back on grains since they are bad for your digestion (and I also am a Candida sufferer so I can't really eat much). I do eat Genesis bread maybe once a day. Is that sufficient? What else is a good source of fiber aside from beans and grains?

I have a healthy BMI, I'm 5'9 at 140lbs. I'm trying to tone up, not really lose weight, but I do have trouble areas.

Thanks.

Eggs..my info..i only eat egg whites.The yolk is 100% fat /cholesterol.I boil them and remove the yolk.I eat 6 for breakfast and a fruit.

Protein...around 120 grams per day.This is like..3 chicken breasts..Normally a serving size of meat has 40 grams of protein.Trim the fat.If you can eat 5 to 8 times a day as this quickens your metabolism and allows your energy to stay good.Make those small meals though as big meals will bloat and make you bigger.

Ilike tuna in springwater and some veges ...

I recommend you train with a focus on intensity and this will result in a larger loss of body fat and you will get a much improved shape.

Supllements...I dont recommend apart from a multivitamin..

Anyway go to fly now bbl

Eggs..my info..i only eat egg whites.The yolk is 100% fat /cholesterol.I boil them and remove the yolk.I eat 6 for breakfast and a fruit.

Protein...around 120 grams per day.This is like..3 chicken breasts..Normally a serving size of meat has 40 grams of protein.Trim the fat.If you can eat 5 to 8 times a day as this quickens your metabolism and allows your energy to stay good.Make those small meals though as big meals will bloat and make you bigger.

Ilike tuna in springwater and some veges ...

I recommend you train with a focus on intensity and this will result in a larger loss of body fat and you will get a much improved shape.

Supllements...I dont recommend apart from a multivitamin..

Anyway go to fly now bbl

Thank you for the reply! I also found that about 102 grams is a good amount of protein for me to have.

As for eggs . . .I know that the yolk is full of cholesterol, which is why I was kind of asking how bad it possibly is for me to eat 1-2 a day with yolk included. But I suppose if I am making scrambled eggs or eating them hard boiled, I can stand to not eat the yolk. Sometimes I just really love a sunny-side up egg, though!

I love tuna, most fish actually (huge sushi fan), so usually if I eat a sandwhich with my Genesis it's tuna with expeller pressed organic mayo, lemon juice and tablespoon of flaxseed oil and sometimes a hard-boiled egg. Had one after my workout today actually! I'm a poor college student, so buying chicken breast is not something I get to do regularly, but I somehow manage to have salmon, tilapia and/or tuna around. I have chicken when I can, however. I guess this begs the question . . .

With the risk of mercury poisoning, how much fish is too much fish?

link removed

Well that was the link i forgot. I need fish!

Will try the Genesis. Not much for bread either so those guys are... saviors.

Haha, thanks! I was wondering what you were referring to in your first post...

Ezekiel bread tastes like cardboard to me. Genesis is delicious, especially toasted.

i eat chicken, fish, rice, shrimp, etc. i try and have a high protein diet. when i make shakes, i make sure i do double scoops to i get maximum protein absorption. remember, protein shakes are not meal replacements, you still need actual food. i would try and eat as much protein as you can; but space it out so it's about 50g every few hours.

i used to take supplement but am afraid of them. I prefer to get nutrtion from food as supplements can be a bit hard on the liver. Egg whites are the highest bio available natural protein source. I also take medication for an illness so i prefer to avoid supplements

An egg yellow in a day isnt too bad provided you dont have too much.

Tuna is awesome and if the fish had that much mercury then why hasnt it been reported by populations whos staple food is fish?

Chickens are fed steroids..cows are fed who knows what.

For me the stress of listenning to half the scientists crap will probably kill me before their info on mercury in fish..or climate change...lol

One other thing ..you may be a poor college student but you seem to have a wealth of knowledge as well. You are not really poor..hehe

i eat chicken, fish, rice, shrimp, etc. i try and have a high protein diet. when i make shakes, i make sure i do double scoops to i get maximum protein absorption. remember, protein shakes are not meal replacements, you still need actual food. i would try and eat as much protein as you can; but space it out so it's about 50g every few hours.

Thank you very much, ghost! I was hoping you would post since you seem to know a lot about health and fitness.

I eat a 50:30:20 diet. So 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% 'good' fat. That seems to work for me and my gf.

So if you need 2000 cals to maintain your current weight for example, 30% come from protein. 30% (2000) = 660 ish.

i gram of protein = 4 cals, so 660 cals = 165 grams per day.

Eat 5 times a day = 33 grams of protein per meal.

Its not hardcore, and may not be enough for large muscle growth, but it will be enough to maintain / increase your lean body mass which will help your metabolism fire along.

Its a pain to work out to start with, but you soon learn how much chicken on a plate is at least 30 grams for example.

I eat a 50:30:20 diet. So 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% 'good' fat. That seems to work for me and my gf.

So if you need 2000 cals to maintain your current weight for example, 30% come from protein. 30% (2000) = 660 ish.

i gram of protein = 4 cals, so 660 cals = 165 grams per day.

Eat 5 times a day = 33 grams of protein per meal.

Its not hardcore, and may not be enough for large muscle growth, but it will be enough to maintain / increase your lean body mass which will help your metabolism fire along.

Its a pain to work out to start with, but you soon learn how much chicken on a plate is at least 30 grams for example.

Thanks, Sparkie! I try to do low carb, high protein, so I'll probably flip those two and see how that works out.

Archived