help i think i have Agoraphobia

gilfer
Do You Need Reassurance? Stop It Li...
Do You Need Reassurance? Stop It Like This

You should definitly see a therapist about this. I've always had a mild version of agoraphobia, but after my dad's death, it became full out. It's horrible, but it helped seeing a therapist. Not only is it completely delibitating, but my grades suffered from not being able to attend class. They put me on Celexa for the anxiety, which helped curb it, but I still have flare ups now and then - it usually comes with something unexpected in my routine or having a large group of people at my house (my boyfriend's friends usually). I think when I finally admitted to myself that I had it was after I began to get anxiety attacks when I even thought about leaving the house by myself.

Sorry to ramble, this is just a problem that's very close to me and I really wish it would go away. Seeing a therapist really helped. Additionally, I went to a doctor and got some blood work done and found I was iron and B-12 deficient. I'm currently taking supplements to fix these and have noticed a decrease in my anxiety and depression because of this. If I know one thing from having agoraphobia...it definitely doesn't get better on it's own. Cognitive-behavioral therapy really helped, and it was unfortunate that I had to stop earlier than I should have (graduated and thus lost student health center privileges). Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions! I definitely understand how frustrating this is!

the student health center at my university actually has psychiatrists that you can go to for free. it's great b/c they're actually certified and aren't just counselors who do it for the heck of it. definitely check out what your school has to offer.

Archived