Fear & anxiety of driving.. How to overcome it?

Aaliyah

Ok I'm 22 years old and I must be the only person my age that still has a permit. I've always been fearful of driving for some reason. I guess it's the fear that I would end up doing something stupid like speeding over the limit without realizing it & getting a ticket or getting into an accident. I'm also very afraid of driving on very high bridges and I get very panicky on the highway. I'm also paranoid of driving with other people because it feels like people are critiquing my driving or I feel that I have to be extra careful because other people are with me, I never seem to relax. Plus I'm bad with directions and finding places so it's embarrassing to be with people because of that.

My mom is giving me her car because she's getting a new one which is great. Now I can be a little independent. However I can't find myself to get the courage to practice driving in the car with her. It doesn't help that my mom is a very panicky person who yells and screams a lot if you do something wrong. I think she's the only person I can practice with since friends and other family are mainly busy. But driving with her is not going to help me get over my fear because she over exaggerates a lot with my driving.. Are their methods for me that can calm my nerves when I'm driving. I think it's about time I get my license and start driving lol.

i was very anxious when I first started driving too. I took private driving lessons for a year. But still, I only drove minimally. I hated it. And forget the thruway. In college my parents offered me a car if I would just learn to drive on the thruway and I told them no.

Now, I drive EVERYWHERE. I drive 400-500 miles a month for work and I work a half hour away from where I live. And to get there I have to drive over two very high bridges, and sometimes in bad weather. I can honestly say the only thing that helped me was to just do it. The more I was forced to drive, the more comfortable I became with it. I still can't parallel park and I get very anxious when I don't know where to park or where I'm going, but then I remind myself that I always figure it out somehow. I have a GPS, which helps a ton.

Maybe you should sign up for private driving lessons and ask your teacher to specifically take you to highways and bridges so you can become more comfortable in a safe environment.

Archived