When do you keep your heat on?

I have some friends who keep their heat on during the day and off at night... but most nights I just can't stand how cold it is, and hate the freezing feeling of getting out of bed. Is there a difference in terms of saving energy when it comes to turning on your heat at certain times of the day?

I have some friends who keep their heat on during the day and off at night... but most nights I just can't stand how cold it is, and hate the freezing feeling of getting out of bed. Is there a difference in terms of saving energy when it comes to turning on your heat at certain times of the day?

Yup - keeping your thermostat lower at some times than others adds up to big savings!

Why not get a programmable thermostat??? They are not expensive and will pay for themselves in no time!

You decide when you want it warm....

For example I let my house get down to 62 at night but at 5:30am - 1 hour before I get up... it's set to 68... then when I'm gone during the day after 8am it goes down to 62 again and back up to 68 at 5:30pm just before I get home.

Oh - and my friend just turned me onto to this... a heated mattress pad! That really rocks on the extremely cold nights! I keep it on low to help keep my toes warm!

haha, i'm the opposite.. at my house, my mom keeps the heat on low during the day and when we get home ~7/8 we turn the heat on in the living room ... and then at 10, we turn on the one in the bedroom on and the one in the living room/kitchen off.

our house is reaaaally cold, but our electricity bill is still insane. idk!

i would think you'd get sick if you turn your heat down low during the night cus your body temp drop when you sleep too doesnt it?

As said, a programmable thermostat is the way to go ($40?). Turn the heat down when you are not home and turn it back up 30 mins before you are expected home. On some of them, you can change the setting as often throughout the day as ou would like.

For example I let my house get down to 62 at night but at 5:30am - 1 hour before I get up... it's set to 68... then when I'm gone during the day after 8am it goes down to 62 again and back up to 68 at 5:30pm just before I get home.

68 degrees?!?!?! I can't stand it if it is less than 74!

68 degrees?!?!?! I can't stand it if it is less than 74!

For real! I have mine on 74 all the time. I tried the whole set it lower at night, and three of my birds died! lol

If it's too cold for them, it's too cold for me. My gas bill this month is 400 bucks, and we run space heaters...so my elec was 250!

Last winter - kept house around 70...had gas bills $200+/month all winter

This winter - keeping house at around 60...I have yet to see a gas bill $200 or over this winter...december's was $110.

Big, big difference to our bottom line, since our income situation has changed since last year (got laid off and am working a part time job plus freelance). We have a space heater in the computer room since it's where we spend the most time, but really, I'll put up with cold in the rest of the house so I can afford groceries.

If you want your living quarters warm and can afford the gas or electric bill (without complaining) crank the heat. But if you can't afford it, well, you make do without.

For real! I have mine on 74 all the time. I tried the whole set it lower at night, and three of my birds died! lol

If it's too cold for them, it's too cold for me. My gas bill this month is 400 bucks, and we run space heaters...so my elec was 250!

As we just moved from Florida to GA, ourr house has a gas furnace so I can't even guess what my gas bill is going to be. If it is $400+, then I will learn to like 60 degrees!

Archived