Welcome to Eve Pacific Health #shor...
Welcome to Eve Pacific Health #shorts

Hi ENA.

I'm 20. I have always been a little big. Not always 'fat' but I've never been a size 0 put it that way. Over the last few years I've developed what I considered to be my shape, and although I was not 100% happy with it (I could lose a bit here, tone up there, etc) I had accepted that I was always going to be a little bigger than the rest of my friends. To look at me, I don't look as heavy as what I actually weigh. I don't look 'obese' or even relatively overweight because I'm tall. I just have a few 'cuddly' bits.

Recently I weighed myself (right after the silly season - great time to do it! Not!) and I tipped the scales at 92kg. (Roughly 200lbs) I almost had a heart attack! I've never seen my weight go above 90kg so I was devastated. I'm going on an immediate diet, and working on this (have incredible inspiration now) but I can't help wondering one thing. Is there such a thing as the opposite of anorexia? Because I think I have it.

Anorexics see fat, fat, fat when they look in the mirror, even when they're bone thin. I'm the opposite. I've reach 92kg, but when I look in the mirror, I don't seem that fat. I see myself as average/normal/healthy whatever you want to call it. Sure I'm not stick thin, but I don't see a 92kg woman looking back at me in the mirror. How did I let myself get like this? And why can't I see exactly how big I've gotten?

well, mine is a similar experience. i somehow started creeping up the scale without realizing it. i weigh a lot more than what i like i weigh. even if i told people, they'd be like ?! you're LYING!!!

some people just carry their weight well!

but i could just be oblivious though. one of my roommies is around 180 lbs and i just never noticed until 5 months later *after* she TOLD me! lol

What you see in the mirror isnt always reflective of what you see on the scale, likewise with how you actually look. Anorexics see fat when there isnt any, but maybe you just see what's really there. Some people store fat really, really well. Im quite envious of them.

It seems to me that you have a healthy view of your body. Which is good. Tone up if you want to, but dont pay attention to the scale, instead pay attention to how you look and how you feel.

First of all, I think your attitude about your appearance is a very HEALTHY one.You see yourself as WHO you are, and as the other said, maybe you just carry your weight well.You said you're tall, so maybe that helps distribute the fat better. Good luck on the weight loss plan

You are a tall girl, and from the height/weight tables for your height, the top of your healthy weight range is 176 lbs., so you are about 25 lbs. overweight which you should be able to get off by exercising and changing your eating habits a bit.

The interesting thing about body image is they've done studies and people form an idea of how they look, and regardless of fluctations, tend to hold onto it. They've asked anorexics to draw their silhouette and they draw a fat person, and people who are obese but are fixed on an idea they look slim will draw a slim person even if obese.

So being shocked to discover your true weight or look is a very common experience , where you just don't picture your body accurately. that is how some people can put on a lot of weight (or lose a lot of weight) and not really see the difference.

That is absolutely true, at least for me for sure. I can hardly tell by looking at myself when I gain or lose weight. Honestly- I don't see much of a difference at all when I gain or lose 15 lbs.

The only way I know is by getting on the scale or when people tell me I look thinner. Of course they don't want to be rude & say "wow, you look bigger" so I never know when that happens unless I get on a scale... and I hate scales!! I guess I can tell more in pictures of myself when I look bigger or thinner. So that's never a nice surprise when you think you're looking good & then you see a recent picture of yourself & are like... oh.

Hey there!

To answer your initial question, there is sort of an "opposite" of anorexia, known as compulsive overeating (sometimes abbreviated COE). There is also body dysmorphic disorder (BDD). You can look up either on Wikipedia for more details.

First of all, I think your attitude about your appearance is a very HEALTHY one.You see yourself as WHO you are

I couldn't agree more! I think you are in a very healthy place, mentally. You might want to ask your physician for an evaluation... s/he'll be able to tell you whether you actually should consider losing weight. If you're healthy and you don't have a problem with your weight, don't lose just because of a number on a scale.

Good luck!

YS

well, mine is a similar experience. i somehow started creeping up the scale without realizing it. i weigh a lot more than what i like i weigh. even if i told people, they'd be like ?! you're LYING!!!

That's exactly my situation. I told my cousin when I weighed 89kg (just before christmas) and she was like "What?! You don't look it!" so I'm not sure...

Thanks everyone for your replies, I feel better now. I'm going to post a thread with some pictures of me in it so you can judge for yourselves.

Archived