How do I know I'm real?

lasko323

I don't know exactly how to put this into words b/c I'm not sure if I understand it completely, but I have these moments all the time where I feel like everything is in third person in my head. Like I'm outside of my own head thinking about what I'm looking at, wondering what feelings if any are attached to the constant thoughts in my head. It's numbing what I do to myself and it's so much easier to not be me in my head. It's hard to discuss this b/c it makes me feel like a freak. A big part of my self injury at this point is from wondering why everything seems like a delusion. I'm not saying I hear voices or see things, but the things I do see and hear, that I know are real, don't seem real. When I touch me I have moments when I wonder if anyone could ever actually see me. I know they can see me but can they really see me? I donno it's crazy feeling outside of yourself, but I don't understand it. One moment I know I'm real the next moment I'm lost in my thoughts without anything attached to them.

I've had similar thoughts like this when dealing with stressful situations. For me it was because of living on my own, going to college, and dealing with two people in my family being diagnosed with cancer. I don't know exactly what to tell you, because feelings like this generally lead me to have anxiety attacks and I've had trouble dealing with it myself. But what I did was start counseling, which helped some...but it's a process.

As far as how you know you're real? My best answer is that I know I'm real through feeling emotion.

I also constantly feel like this-like I'm almost living someone elses life because it doesn't feel like mine.

Do you feel like this when you self injure? or does it seem more real?

Maybe try doing things you enjoyed before these feelings started, to feel like yourself again. And definitely look into counseling

When I hurt myself I feel real. Feeling pain just reminds that I'm still here. It doesn't solve the problem but it's the best I have for right now, so that's what I do. I feel like I don't have an identity and in some way this gives me something. I actually got an appointment set up tomorrow with a school therapist, so I'm hoping they can help me be my old self again.

Whenever I use to smoke weed, I use to feel this way.

even when I wasn't high I would feel this way. I know what

you mean though, Like as if you're in a dream!!?

This happens when I exersize tooo, and it could be

because of high blood pressure or low...I dunno, im not

a doctor but I definetly feel better when i don't drink soda

and don't eat so much food that contains high fructose and sugar..

Other than that I really would advise you to stay healthy and

try spending some time doing things you like to do like...

whether its a hobby or just having a little you time, like shop

or maybe write some poetry...I hope I helped, by the way,

did you get my last message, I honestly don't understand why it

doesn't show it has been sent??

Delicous I didn't see the previous message, but thank you so much for your concern and help. I really do appreciate it, and I have had my periods of time when I've smoked a decant amount of weed, so I'm def going to look into that as one of the possible reasons for being this way, even though I've had moments of detachment from myself well before I started smoking. However, I'll def try to stop smoking for this time, because I just ended up getting back into therapy, and I really want to be able to focus all my energy on stopping this, doing well in school, and just trying to be me. Thanks again

Archived