Any psychologists/practicing psychologists here?

Seymore

I'm a former psychologist, now a neuroscientist but effectively combine them in some cognitive neuroscience research that I do, so I keep my hand in.

It's a very large field, though, so do you have any more specific areas within it that you're interested in? Psychologists come in many shapes and sizes: cognitive psychologists, social psychologists, clinical psychologists, educational psychologists, corporate psychologists. Some people also include psycho-therapists in the broad classification, though strictly speaking they won't have the same types (and arguably levels) of qualifications or professional affiliations.

Oh, I'm not looking to get into the field, just wondering how many people who are giving the advice are giving it from professional opinion and who are giving it based on personal experience (though it can always be a combination of the two). It seems interesting. I've already got my career path, but any psych classes I've taken seemed interesting.

Sorry to hijack the post - but I was wondering how you get into being an educational psychologist? I have a good psychology degree, 2:1, graduated in 2007, and was always something I wanted to get into , like teaching. I am now teaching full time in a college, running a course and completing taking care of my students etc... I am studying for my PGCE-H teaching qual while working. however in the future I would like to be an educational psychologist and I was wondering how I go about taking steps to get there now, ready for the future?

Thanks all and I'm in the Uk too xx

It used to be that you needed a Master's degree in educational psychology, but these days it seems you need one of the "new" doctorates (yes, you can feel my scepticism ), which involves some classes and a two year training placement (three years in total). Some funded places are available. You should ideally do a year or two of teaching first, though it's not a strict requirement.

For more info, take a look at the handbook available on the official website: link removed

HOW TO STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO O...
HOW TO STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS

Archived