Those unemployed - What are you doing with all your free time?

Cloudyday

Hey all,

Like many I'm currently unemployed and am wondering what everyone's been doing with all the free time that's been forced upon them.

For me, I spend hours every day combing through job postings, applying to a few positions, and writing up tons of cover letters. If I don't do this for at least a few hours of the day, I feel quite useless that I haven't accomplished anything. Luckily, or rather unluckily, every application takes a while to complete. Plus there's all the follow-up you have to do with all the applying. It's rather hard work trying to get a job, especially in this economy.

Don't really do much in terms of extra curricular activities, especially if it involves spending money, as I feel guilty about spending when I don't have a job and worry about my savings running out quicker. However, I do go out every once in a while just to keep myself sane and I do jog a few times a week in addition to taking walks just to get myself outside to take in some fresh air. Other than that it's usually spent at home watching tv or listening to music. It's a good thing I'm not really a negative person, nor one to get depressive since it's easy to fall into that mood during these times. Just got to keep barreling through.

I was unemployed for about 4 months. Just started a job a few weeks ago. But when I was unemployed I spent a lot of time (between job apps) not doing much. I was on this website about 8 hours a day. I got kind of depressed & stopped working out, but towards the end of my unemployment I picked it back up again. My house was also pretty clean since I was home all the time to vaccuum, windex, vaccuum, sweep & mop... yeah being unemployed was fun. Hope you find something soon.

I've been job hunting like mad.

I cannot find a job. My school is out of work studies. I've applied to at least a dozen places and they all say the same thing... "we're highering around june". JUNE? I'll be back home in a JUNE and scrounging back in that town.

So, I'm going to settle for working for FREE for one of my teachers as a lab assisstant.

If I can't get a job, I'll at least get experience and a possible position as a paid assisstant next year.

Sounds like we're all pretty much in the same boat. I spend a good amount of time job hunting online everyday. I've applied to enough places that my resume and cover letter just require the little changes in wording or description to tailor it to each company, so (un)fortunately I don't spend a lot of time working on that. Other than that: tv, music, reading, housework, walks, just getting out to avoid cabin fever. I used to actually go out to companies/businesses in person to see if they had any open positions, but most of the time they would just refer me to a website or classified ads. And now that there are so few jobs opening up AND jobs are being cut, that approach will not be fruitful at all.

Is there much else you can do other than bide your time?

When I'm not interning, I wake up at 11am.

If I have classes I'll get up and go till 1pm. After that it's all TV, internet, staring at walls, tidying up and doing housework occasionally and looking at stuff online. In the evenings I'll go to the gym and go see the bf usually.

And even though life's so empty without a job, I still can't wait to get done with this internship. Can't win.

Hmmm...well what I did to start with was doll up my house and get it organized, which I'd been wanting to do when I was working but was too tired for. Then around 4pm, I start dinner if we don't have leftovers. I 'June Cleaver'-ed myself out for a while.

Then in January, first week, I got myself a part time job. So I work 12 hours a week so far. I like it. The other thing I'm doing is some freelance admin work. I got skillz man. Right now I'm working on a business plan. I'm working cheap so I can get some references. Sometimes I also clean the house.

I work part time, do temp jobs, shop at thrift stores, go to big lots to see if there are any good movies in the $3 bin, catch up on dr. appts...i've seen the gyno, the allergist, and got my wisdom teeth removed, clean lots, go work out, go on walks, go to the library to find free books, organize the dresser and the closet, online alllll the time, and ofcourse search for a full time job! woo hoo!

OH and cooking! I find myself more willing to cook things when I have about five hours to accomplish one meal!

Just a suggestion. Has anyone ever thought about getting a job in construction? At lest until a job in your fields opens up. Construction job usually pay well, yes a little tiring and its not for every one but it beat making nothing.

In Australia if you want to do that sort of work you need to spend around $2000 on courses to get your cards. They're safety training conducted by a TAFE. Good luck getting employed without them.

Probably the same in the US. I don't know too many unemployed people who have that sort of cash sitting around to do a course that probably won't get them a job. Good idea though.

Good to hear not everyone's mopping around. Sometimes I think that I should do something constructive with all the extra time I have, like try to pick up another language or another skill, but it's hard to be motivated, especially after you've spent hours applying to jobs you probably will never hear back from.

Haven't looked into construction jobs but I would think those would be hard to get too since there's the whole housing downturn and the recession would probably make people put off fixing their homes.

My SIL's husband is a contractor and has nothing at all going on. He can't even find odd jobs right now. So they are pretty much living on her income at the moment. She lost a job last year, and it was months before she found another one. He has been a contractor for 20 years and has done great all that time. Now suddenly...nothing.

I've never seen anything like this in my lifetime.

My husband lost his job and now watches The Family Guy...the last thing on earth I could imagine him doing. He has learned how to make gravy...woohoo! He got his first unemployment check in the mail today. I hear he may be able to draw for 59 weeks. Gotta love it.

Why does he get to draw for 59 weeks?

Just going by the news reports. I don't have hard proof, but I will show you where I got the information.

link removed

BTW, I had someone ask a question I couldn't answer. I know the maximum per week is $275. Does anyone know the minimum?

no that's not true because i will be getting $332 a week starting in mid february

Well, maybe the states do not contribute anything. Was thinking I had heard that, but it could be something else I was thinking about. But the man my husband talked to said the max is $275. It could be different for each state also. Probably is.

Yes, here is something I found about California. I figured they would get more than we do, and they sure do.

$450 is the maximum benefits you can receive under the California unemployment insurance benefit program, while the minimum is $40. How much your benefits are depends a great deal on how much you made. The more you made the higher your earnings will be. After you apply for unemployment benefits and your claim is accepted they will let you know what your benefits are.

States do not pay into the unemployment insurance fund. That is 100% funded by employers only. Employers pay a percentage of tax based on their payroll amount. What % of tax they pay depends on how well they do at fighting claims. If the state detects that they're running a sloppy show via many claimants winning claims against the employer and the employer's account gets drawn down too much, their tax goes up. If an employer runs a tight ship and not too many claims are paid from their account, then their tax either remains stable or goes down.

Archived