Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

[9 Best] Mother-daughter Beach Vaca...
[9 Best] Mother-daughter Beach Vacation Ideas
Travel and Culture

Travelling with Children

FarthestEdge

DH and I are considering taking our kids to Europe this summer. My oldest will be 5, so he is old enough to get something out of the experience. The Baby will be 1, and my friends we'd be visiting haven't met him yet.

BUT we are looking at 6 to 9 hour flights. Am I out of my mind to consider this? Can anyone share flight experiences with young ones either age?

Any input would be appreciated.

depends. i just pop my headphones in and i can't hear the crying baby. and i've seen some babies sleep the entire time. i've heard of some families keeping the baby awake up until the very second that they board the plane so that the baby will be out the whole time.

i get annoyed when older kids start kicking my chair and won't stop. that pisses me off.

I think if we did, we'd get seats in 2 rows so one of us could sit in front of the 5 year old, and the other beside him for that very reason. I had the same experience (seat kickers) on the way back from the Dom. Rep. once. The parents sat both kids (under 6) in front of them, next to some poor lady so they could have a quiet trip sitting behind them. I was infront of these kids, and no matter how many times I politely asked the kids to stop, the parents did nothing to control them. I thought they were with the lady beside them until it was time to get off the plane. I thought it was a dreadful thing to do.

I'm confused about takeoff & landing with the baby. I read that unless you pay for a seat, you have to hold them in your lap, and you can use a snugli EXCEPT for takeoff and landing. To me, it makes sense to have him in the snugli then, because he'd be secured to me, and I', secured to the plane....

Hmn... my mum would be the bet peson to answer, but I went on many overseas trips, I went on several overseas trips before i was 1 or 2 years old.

I went on my first overseas trip (Canada to UK) when I was just 3 weeks old!)

Not sure if the rest of the plane enjoyed it.

In regards to traveling with older children a friend of mine has two kids, aged 7 and 9, is a single mum and is taking them backpacking in South America for a year.. starting in Colombia! I think that's fantastic!

Sure- they need the gravol right? Just in case they get motion sick- don't want to wait until it's too late.

What? It makes them sleepy? Really? Didn't know that......

Yes it will make them sleepy - obvious you don't want to go overboard with that. My parents always made sure I had lots of activities - colouring books etc, new toys that I'd never seen before (or buy something at the airport of thier choosing). Lots of snacks - and their special blanker or stuffee. You could consider bringing an MP3 player with some kids tunes on it.

Don't forget about the ear popping problem upon landing or take off - maybe bring some chewing gum or chewy candy or something to help with that.

Thanks...

I guess you missed the hint of playful sarcasm there- I had thought of the Gravol too. Of course I would never overdo it. It's an overnight flight on the way there, so that would be easy enough....

Your other pointers are helpful too. I'm just thinking of the overall logistics...Can we handle "babes in arms" for that long- can the baby handle it? Can I rent car seats at the airport, or should I have my friend round some up for me. etc.

I'm also unsure about whether or not the 5 year old will enjoy it. He's really into knights and castles right now, and we were thinking of spending a night at a castle hotel. But when I mentioned it to him, he said "I just want to stay home" He's a bit of a chicken when it comes to the unknown. So on the one hand, I think it would be a great adventure for him that might help him with his fears. On the other hand, I think it could be a week of torment for us all if we're dragging him everywhere we go.

Back and forth every day.....

haha, got the sarcasm after I posted and then I got involved in another thread and didn't alter my post

yeah...car seats - always a problem. Maybe the car rental agency might be able to help with that?

5 years old is just on the cusp of being able to enjoy and remember. Like I said, when I was a child we travelled all over but all I can remember is the ice cream (or treats) and playing in playgrounds, and the car we rented 9I was a car crazy kid). Oh yes, and being terrified at the tower of london.

Maybe you could get some library books on where you want to go and your 5 year old can see ahead of time what is going on!

As I work out of town for 4-5 weeks at a time, my wife has traveled with my two little ones on a few occasions, the farthest being a 3 hour flight.

Traveling with the kids can be difficult from checking the car seats (I suggest getting the 1 year old their own seat so you can attach the car seat to the plane seat.)

The biggest problem we have had is it takes out kids about two nights of sleeping somewhere "strange" to actually sleep through the night. We used "pack-n-plays" for them to sleep in.

Are you really taking this trip for your 5 year old, or to see your old friends? Personally, I would wait a couple of years. WHen he is 7, he will get much more (and remember) out of a trip like that.

I never said I was taking this trip FOR my 5 year old...

There's a specific celebration the family has every 10 years- I was at the last two, and this could be the last one- so I feel compelled to go if I can...

But I went away w/o DH to Europe last year, and it wouldn't be fair to expect that again. He suggested the family trip.

Plus, my friend has a boy almost his age. We're hoping to do a summer exchange with them when they are older, so we'd like them to meet.

Plus, I want to expose my children to different languages and cultures. They are particularly amenable to foreign languages when they are young. I read him German and French story books and he picks things up already

Plus they haven't met the baby. And they are like family to me.

So a lot of reasons, really.....

My families view osn going to places like Europe when the children are young, is just a waste of money. Its expensive and my family believes that the best time to take kids to Europe is when they are like in their teen years, maybe even tween years so actually understand whats going on and enjoy the trip opposed to just being in a different place.

Archived