is this normal hiring manager etiquette?

I applied for a job at the end of October. I didn't get a call for an interview for them until mid december. I went to interview one, and he liked me and wanted me and two other candidates to interview with the department manager.

Interview one- mid december. Interview two- right before christmas.

I called to check on the status the 5th of january and the 19th of january. And I have heard NOTHING back, I am confused. They were really really nice and said they would get back to me, and I have heard nothing from either manager. I even sent an email mid january to the department manager. And I have heard NOTHING.

Now what is most likely:

I was not selected, and they are completely ignoring me?

They have not made a decision Y-E-T???

The job position was eradicated and they do not want to tell me?

I just find it very confusing because they were very professional before and now they can't even send an email or SOMETHING to let me know what is going on with the job? There were only two other people for the second interview, so I would assume they could let everyone know.

it's rough out there. but yeah...if they take a long time, it's usually not good. i've gotten the long periods of silence...and then out of the blue...rejection email! but each employers is different.

i swear, when i was degree-less, depressed, and completely broken inside...i had more luck finding a job.

I honestly don't mind if I didn't get it. But it would have been so easy to at least send me an email, letter, etc... So I wouldn't waste my time calling and calling. They have to listen to the voice mails and just ignore them? I just think if I was a manager I would at the very least send out rejection emails. Especially if there is only two people to send it to.

Im confused with this company, because it took so long for them just to interview from the date of the application. Im just not going to call anymore. If they call me, then great...if not, oh well.

Some people chicken out when delivering bad news, so they don't call to let you know.

the other thing that may have happened is they offered the job to someone else first, and are waiting to see whether that person accepts or not (or works out or not). If they wash out, then they'll call and offer the job, otherwise you may hear nothing.

I'd just let it go at this point if you've sent a couple emails and have gotten no response.

I've noticed everytime that I've been told by unlce to call and check on the status, I've never gotten the job. I guess employers don't like that or maybe it is just a coincednce that I don't get the job and think that it is because I called.

Seems to work well for my unlce. At his current job, CBC Canada, he called and spoke to the interviewer every Friday. He got the job, but the interviewer was waiting for the OK from higher up before he could have my uncle start. After 6 or 7 weeks he got the call saying "when can you start?"

the other thing that may have happened is they offered the job to someone else first, and are waiting to see whether that person accepts or not (or works out or not). If they wash out, then they'll call and offer the job, otherwise you may hear nothing.

I bet this is exactly what they are doing! I didn't even think of that! I will keep that in mind on my job search. I guess employer's can do this now since it is their market!

What kind of company is it? Is it something like the federal govt? If so, it's almost entirely normal, but I would think they would call you back...

Its actually a fairly big company with locations nationwide. And they have hiring managers as well. So I am not sure why they couldn't at least contact me. The thing is I really wanted to work for this company, but after this I kinda have a sour feeling about applying to any more positions there.

I worked somewhere where it took them 6 weeks to make an offer from the time they made a decision, becuase they had so many people whose signatures they needed before they could make the offer.

But they usually told the person they wanted them, but were waiting for the paperwork to clear.

If you don't hear from them in another week i'd assume they have either hired someone else or decided not to hire.

But sometimes they'll keep your resume and call again if something else opens up, especially at large companies, so you never know til you actually hear from them.

I worked somewhere where it took them 6 weeks to make an offer from the time they made a decision, becuase they had so many people whose signatures they needed before they could make the offer.

But they usually told the person they wanted them, but were waiting for the paperwork to clear.

If you don't hear from them in another week i'd assume they have either hired someone else or decided not to hire.

But sometimes they'll keep your resume and call again if something else opens up, especially at large companies, so you never know til you actually hear from them.

I can't say this is not commonplace. It really is....but it is respectful to periodically inform the candidate of the status if this is the case (and if you don't you only stand to lose the candiate to another company...so most will inform status on this type of scenario).

I can't say this is not commonplace. It really is....but it is respectful to periodically inform the candidate of the status if this is the case (and if you don't you only stand to lose the candiate to another company...so most will inform status on this type of scenario).

I completely agree. They don't even need to call me, they could have just emailed me or something to let me know the status. Or even just hit reply on my emails. I could understand if it was like 10 people they called back. But they only had to contact three! pathetic!

I find it improper etiquette to not call a candidate and give status if they are not selected if they went to the trouble to come in for an interview, but unfortunately not all people do that. They get caught up in the job, and only end up calling the one they offered it too.

Thank you! I wish all people in hr would be as considerate as you are. Even though I feel that they should give you notice even if they don't pick you for an interview, I slightly understand that given the amount of applicants, they may not be able to (even though colleges get tens of thousands of applicants and they still are able to give denial letters to everyone. Is it too much to ask for a generic mass email of rejection?!?!?). However, usually there aren't that many interviewees for a position and to not tell a candidate their status is just plain lazy.

to not tell a candidate their status is just plain lazy.

Especially when it was just three of us! Especially when the manager has his own designated hiring manager to do it for him! ugh. thats why I am kinda thinking the theory of them not telling me anything to see if the candidate they chose will work out or not is probably the reason for no response!

Archived