my bf family taken advantage of him :-(

I just got off the phone with my boyfriend, and I am really pissed off and feel bad for him.

He moved out of his place in September moved back to his mom's to save some money. he works in the housing business and his company signed a big contract and he got $5,000.00 which he put in his bank to save for when he had to pay his taxes.

His mom and brother live in the house with him. his brother is the biggest, whiniest mama's boy I have ever met... and he is 25. He has never paid rent, or any bill for that matter... they once asked him to pay the water bill and he freaked out.

he gets whatever he wants, and his "girlfriend" moved in round the same time as my bf. (his mom's husband lives in another state they have a long distance marriage)

this girl is a user. she drives the brother's car all day while he is at work and gets back just in time for him to get home. when he gets home they fight, she yells GIVE ME MONEY. he gives her the money. she goes off and drinks at her ex boyfriends house and spends the nite. she sleeps til 11 am then lays in bed til 2.

my bf is a hard working, save your money kind of guy. he let slip one nite he had the 5,000... and a few days later his mom called him and asked for a 3,000 loan. he said ok because he felt bad, then when they got to the bank she said 'oh can you make it 5,000 instead?' he felt trapped and did it. so now they owe him 5,000

his mom's husband got laid off the other day from his job. they own two houses. paying on both just bought one. they are asking my boyfriend pay $400 a month to live there. my bf figured out that is not the cost split between 4 people so he knows that the brother and his gf dont have to pay. and his mom keeps demaning the 400. he refuses to pay it all tho.

I know some may think this is not my business, but I am worried for him. it could be possible they can't pay him the 5,000 and then he cant pay his taxes. they say they are gonna pay him back. I have a bad feeling.

is there anything legally he should start considering? I am just curious. I know he wouldn't want to take it that far. I yelled at him for not making a signed contract he said it was a stupid mistake he admits it.

I dunno if no one can help, at least Ihave a place to let it all out. I'm worried bout him. thanks for listening. and if you have advice, please give it.

maybe I should also mention, a few summers ago their house "caught fire" me and the bf think that the step dad might of let it happen for money reasons but we kinda joke bout it. I Am dead serious, dont know bout him. but they got a brand new house practically out of the deal, and the step dad scammed everyone for all he could. he is a sleaze.

Your BF got scammed by his family. I'm willing to bet he will never see that 5000 again. Unfortunetly, there isn't really anything you can do about it except hope that he learns to stop being used as a doormat by his family.

In the mean time he should be saving up for taxes.

Unfortunately, I think your boyfriend just purchased a $5,000 dollar lesson. Unless there was a written promissory note, then he will probably never see it... The only thought i would have would be to agree to a lower rent (say $200) but, in return, they need to sign a promissory note on the $5,000. this will stand up in court but, it is still unlikely that he will ever see it if they decide they don't want to pay it.

I'm afraid what is likely to happen if he doesn't pay the $400 in rent is they will justify applying it toward the $5,00 he "loaned" them... thus, in a year they will rekon themselves even.

Doesn't sound like he is saving money by living with his mom. Has he consider moving out with a roommate. It does sound like his family is taking advantage of him. While it may not be your business, sometimes an outside perspective from family may be what your boyfriend needs to see the truth. However you can really only tell him once or twice and be done. You can't harp on it.

Wow. That's sad. Your boyfriend definitely needs to get something put down in writing with a signature to have the best bet to hold up in court. Only other option is if the mother is an idiot and admits it to a judge.

You should let your boyfriend know how you feel. He needs to see light to know that his parents are scumbags. Any parent taking advantage of their children like that needs to be slapped.

What I've learned about money + family. You will never see the money again and your better off opening your wallet and just saying here take it. Unless your a person like me who actually pay the person back. I'm the type of person who won't even ask someone for a quarter or even less.

Archived