i went to a support group today

mr me

Its something that i wasnt really sure if i would be able to go or not for awhile. Its just now things are so bad that i really just need to do things differently. I kinda wish that things didnt need to get so bad but even if i tried before i dont think i would of been able to really help myself. It was basically the first time i talked to a group of people about stuff that im going thru. It was good because i wasnt talking to people that didnt go thru stuff that i was going thru. They basically had an understanding of what i was going thru. They also try not to judge or analyze you or the things you say. The one bad thing i would say is that i dont know how likely anyone would be the same way they are in the group outside of it. Its a very controlled environment so you dont have to deal with outside people and the way i think people normally treat each other. I think mostly it kinda gives me a crutch because i really dont have anyone i can look towards when i need someone to be there for me. Thats kinda the thing that ive had to deal with lately is not being able to deal with my life anymore on my own. Im not really sure if i ever was able to but i had the perception that i was.

Its called emotions anonymous. it follows the 12 steps kinda like alcoholics anonymous. I basically talked about stuff that was going on with me even if i wasnt sure i could talk about certain stuff to people. I didnt get to into detail but for the most part i said exactly what was on my mind. I think it helped me feel less ashamed. It basically just lets you talk about what your going thru and people just listen to you. Alot of the time people want to give advice or be helpful but sometimes all you really need is someone to listen. I also think alot of the time people tell you that you should be doing things differently and that might make you feel like what your feeling or going thru isnt how you should be handling it. Its just you are handling it however you are handling it. I guess thats from my experiences because i do try to do whatever i can but its hard when you are trying and things arent going anywhere or gettin better. I guess thats why i wanted to try the support group because i was really lacking any support.

It also helped me to see that other people had the same issues as me. I also got to see my same issues from someone elses perspective and what they do to try to deal with it. I think it was also the first time ive ever felt comfortable in a group setting because i actually had other people that had some things in common with me. It also kinda changed my mind of what people that have issues like mine look like. The only other time i saw people with similar issues was when i was in the psych ward. Its just those people were really down and i just had no idea how you could ever go back to living your everyday life when your like that. It was just somewhat ordinary people that have to deal with things about themselves that make life difficult. I think the biggest thing i learned is that there is a place for people that have issues in this world. Its not always something that we need to hide from people because alot of people have a negative idea of what someone that is going thru alot of stuff in life is like.

I'm in a 12-step program (Al-Anon, for people affected by alcoholism) and it's been amazing for me. I love being in recovery, b/c it's helped me accept my humanity and flaws so much more. Even better, it's given me the opportunity to take responsibility for myself instead of blaming everyone and everything for what's going wrong for me. It's also great to know that I don't have to take care of everyone else's problems liek I would try to.

When I joined, I felt so alone. Surely no one could ever have gone through what I went through with my mom and my then boyfriend. But everyone knew exactly what I was going through, and they had been ther ein some way before.

I've been in program a little over a year now, and friends in the program have told me I've come such a long way from when I entered the rooms.

12-steps are a wonderful area for growth and for finding happiness and acceptance of yourself. I'm glad you're trying it.

mr me...I think that's fantastic!!!! I am so proud of you for taking this step...this is just wonderful news! I'm glad that you've found this group and I hope you'll keep going. As hermudders said, at first you might feel alone but I think you will get more comfortable as you continue to attend these meetings. I've followed your story for a long time and I am just sincerely happy for you...this is a big step and in my eyes you are very brave.

Archived