Wedding costs

5 Fantastic Expensive Wedding Gifts...
5 Fantastic Expensive Wedding Gifts for Couples

WOW! That's a lot.

Ummm... I know it's a wedding and hopefully you'll only be getting married once, but that seems really expensive. Given the date, size, and open bar... well, I guess that racks the price up quickly.

My husband and I opted to save our money for future things (like a house, etc.) instead of have an extravagent wedding. (Everything was still beautiful though and went well. We had an indoor Catholic wedding with a reception following.) We just got married on 12/20/08. We had 70 people and no open bar.

Our TOTAL cost was $4,589!

We were kind of surprised... our goal/budget was to be under $5,000 though (and we succeeded!). If you have trouble believing us, I can post the excel sheet with the breakdown showing how much we spent on everything. It was actually kind of a thrill having a beautiful wedding at a manageable price =)

Good luck and happy planning!

If I could go back and redo my wedding and not had spent over 30k, I would have had a simple wedding. But its way too much to be spending a fortune thats just my opinion and its only about you 2 at the end of the day and spending your lives with one another.

[quote name=Lovin_Life All-

I am feeling like I am spending a ton on my wedding which I am planning for new years eve. We are having 200 guests... and the bill is just under 30K for everything including and open bar.

Is this too much? Anyone spend a similar amount?[/quote]

When you say 30k, are you talking British thousands or American?

Either way its miles too much! its like a years salary.

if i can lay my cards out on the table: i strongly believe that when it comes to grand, festive occasions like weddings, you dont need to put your years worth of salary to make it a memorable day. having the colours of the flowers match the colour of the bridesmaids shoes and your shade of lipstick or whatever, isnt something anyone really notices or remembers except for you. people wnat to see the married couple in love, and in it for the real deal. if u want a big wedding, go for it. but u could always just having the reception on a nice beach, or a park or something. even you are wondering if u are spending too much: if u are in doubt, dont. it wont make the day any less special if you put the focus less on the dress, and more on the intangible: love, baby, love.

[quote name=Lovin_Life All-

I am feeling like I am spending a ton on my wedding which I am planning for new years eve. We are having 200 guests... and the bill is just under 30K for everything including and open bar.

Is this too much? Anyone spend a similar amount?[/quote]

My wedding is in less than a couple of weeks.. $30,000 was the budget but we are over now... for 110 people.

I think you're doing really well, to be honest.. if you have pulled off 30k with 200 guests!

I know its expensive hon.. thats the only element of stress really.. when u think about the $$$

PS - in the country where I live, 30k was reported as the cost of the "average" wedding - TWO years ago...

Depends on what you & your future spouse want.

My wedding was about $200 including the rings (around $300 if you include the engagement ring) but that's what we wanted. It was a ceremony at the courthouse with just us...kind of the very minimum necessary to be legally married and our "reception" was just us going out to lunch afterwards.

But that's what we wanted. Most people seem to want something bigger....and want to include others in the festivities. I honestly don't understand that, but I live a rather minimalist/frugal lifestyle overall and don't understand why other people seem to want a lot more stuff than I do, anyway. If you want something bigger that includes more people, it's going to cost more.

Where I am from the price tag is closer to 100k for 200 guests. I planned a wedding like yours many years ago (price tag would have been closer to 30k but who knows) where we would have been paying part, and our parents, part (neither of whom was wealthy) - and that was for a second tier or lower place, food, music, etc - nothing too fancy for that price tag. I am SO GLAD that when I finally got married (7 weeks ago!) we had a small wedding where the total price tag - and I am including the marriage officiant, my dress, shoes, etc (which cost a total of probably $350 and I can wear all of that again so maybe it should not be counted), the wedding luncheon and cake and a custom made marriage license was probably under $1,500. I loved my wedding so much and it was "because" of how we did not "in spite of" how we did it.

We were talking about having a larger reception this summer but with the economy the way it is, our plans to buy a house in the next year or so, family planning stuff - I just can't see spending that amount of money to do something even moderately nice.

I've been to sooo many fancy weddings - I always have a good time, and I always forget about most of it as soon as we leave - if I remember anything it is if the ceremony was memorable - if the couple looked happy and their vows, etc. And the happy couple - within a year or so or less the video is put away somewhere, and more often than not the consensus is that all that planning, money, stress, was probably not the best idea.

Just my opinion and my experience!

Thank you to everyone who responded. I think we are doing well with the amount of guests that we will have. As for pounds vs. dollars, I am reffering to american dollars.

I am excited to get married, and the place we are getting married takes care of everything. We just have to show up. They use some of the best vendors in arizona and it definetly isnt going to be low quality. And for new years eve, it is pretty cheap for what is included.

Thank you again!

[quote name=Lovin_Life you to everyone who responded. I think we are doing well with the amount of guests that we will have. As for pounds vs. dollars, I am reffering to american dollars.

I am excited to get married, and the place we are getting married takes care of everything. We just have to show up. They use some of the best vendors in arizona and it definetly isnt going to be low quality. And for new years eve, it is pretty cheap for what is included.

Thank you again![/quote]

Then it sounds like you are getting a great deal As long as it won't put a strain on you two financially - and you're happy on the day.. and it sounds like you will be!

I'm planning my wedding with my wife to be for next year and for 50 guests it's going to cost us around 15k... my parents will pay some of it, her parents will pay some of it and we will have a nice wedding in a place dedicated to this kind of ceremonies.

I could see myself paying 30k for 200 guests but we decided to cut down the guest list so it's only going to be our close relatives and our best friends. It's when you know too many people that you just cannot leave out of the list that problems arise

If you can afford it without going into negative, why not.

You don’t get married everyday. I had 1200 guests and it was great fun.

But if can not afford it, just don’t it as financial burden is not good for a newly married couple.

1200???????????? WOW!

That's amazing.. I went to a 600 person wedding once and thought it huge!!

Archived