Healthy (or healthier) food swaps

PoisonIvy

Lately, I've been going about trying to change my eating and exercise habits, and I've been seeing some progress, which is gratifying and motivating. At the same time, it's been really hard, because I'm a junk food junkie.

I'm having a hard time completely avoiding junk, so I thought I'd make a list of food swaps I've made, and see if anyone else has some suggestions or advice. Maybe my list will help someone with a similar diet issue.

• Chocolate--->Carob (I never ate chocolate all that often anyway)
  • Soda--->Club soda with a little flavored syrup (though I've been drinking mostly water, it's just for when I have a soda craving- French vanilla syrup makes it taste exactly like cream soda).
  • Candy--->Dried/fresh fruit (love me some blueberries or a few nuts
  • Chips--->Whole-grain crackers with low-fat cheese, or the baked chips with lower sodium and fat content
  • Pizza--->Pita bread spread with sun-dried tomatoes or hummus and a little low-fat mozzarella
  • Burgers--->Either Boca burgers, or turkey burgers, on a whole-grain bun with veggie toppings
  • Salads--->Instead of creamy dressings, I use vinaigrette. Except for the occasional Caesar salad indulgence, and then I use less dressing than I used to. Instead of croûtons, I put a few nuts on, like almonds or cashews.
  • Coffee--->No coffee, cold turkey.

I've been eating smaller portions of everything and more often throughout the day, rather than once or twice, which has helped a lot in general. I've cut out mayo entirely, and use either mustard or homemade pesto on my sandwhiches. If I drink milk, it's skim (fat-free). I've been going for leaner meats, complex carbohydrates, more veggies and fruits, less 'bad' fats/simple sugars/sodium and fewer processed foods.

Hopefully, this helps someone else. And if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

Thank you! I've been racking my brain for ways to eat healthier. I'm also drawing up a fitness regimen (mostly been doing basic yoga and pilates, jogging and such, but I want something more consistent, even if that's all I do). I was thinking about posting a progress thread with pictures.

I didn't like straight up coffee, I was addicted to caramel macchiatos with whipped cream and extra caramel

Not 2 calories

Plus coffee gave me jitters and a stomachache, no matter what form I drank it in. And the addiction versus the pain always won over. Hopefully that's a bit clearer. I guess just posting the word coffee was a bit misleading...

• 2 months later...

Wow

Way to go - that's some awesome progress.

Youre healthy choices in your diet will be the foundation of a healthy lifestyle - keep it up!

What do you plan on doing for "heavy exercise?"

Remember to put in some rest days, so you don't burn out from whatever activity you choose. It will help keep up your motivation!

Thank you, MountainGuy3!

I feel much better physically... my joints, legs, and back especially. I gained quite a bit over the past few years due to several issues in my life. I'm happy to be getting back to where I was!

When I say heavy exercise, I don't really mean severe. I am planning a routine that involves Pilates, yoga, swimming, biking, jogging, and toning/weight training. Yes, I'll make sure to give myself some resting time.

Thank you as well, itsallgrand!

I have been meaning to try Activia, as I love yogurt. Every time I think about it, I think of the Saturday Night Live parody of the commercials with Jamie Lee Curtis, and it makes me laugh. Have you seen it?

Caffeine is in coffee, which is not really great (it's a stimulant and can mess up your body chemistry).

Suggest switching back to dark chocolate from carob, though, just have one or two small squares to cut back on the fat. Also cut back on the breads. - you're relying a lot on wheat, which isn't really the best grain option.

I haven't seen the parody but have seen the actual commercial. LOL.

I will say this though...ahem.. the activia yogurt makes me fart a lot But it tastes so good!

Too much sugar and artificial stuff. Much easier to take a good probiotic like Fosidophilus for example. I pop probiotics two or three times a day and it's good for the digestive system.

Candex is good to do sometimes too (both men and women) - also helps kill off the candida which tends to get populous if you eat sugars and yeasts in your diet (which most of us do)

• 1 month later...

This sounds like a good list : ].

this is a bit similar to itsallgrand's suggestion,

(to replace ice cream) i have sometimes mixed a bit of yogurt and frozen berries (straight out of the freezer) and blended it all together in a small blender. It comes out looking like frozen yogurt and it tastes really good! I haven't done it in a long time, but it's really nice and refreshing to eat, especially during the summer.

• 1 month later...
High Protein-Low Carb Diet (Day 4)
High Protein-Low Carb Diet (Day 4)

Archived