Is it coming down to this?

I have searched.. and searched even more in my small college town for A job... ANY job. I even went to different places surrounding my city up to 45 minutes away. I have had 3 job offers, all of them 45 minutes away and only for 7.50. That would be my gas money. That's it. It would be a WASTE of time to take those jobs, so I had to decline.

I have another job coming up, though. It will take me a whole month to get a single cent... that is if I pass the month long interview (no joke) and training. It will pay very well, so I am sticking to it.

So for one month I am walking dogs, selling every single thing in my house that I don't use anymore, and taking (NO NUDE) pictures for photographers who are looking to expand their portfolios. They are classy, but just NOT my thing. Sometimes they end up looking a bit not so classy (the word I had wasn't allowed) even though I am not even slightly nude.

I think I'm having a break down. A serious one. When did I lose my morals and end up doing photos for 250 shoot?

I've lost myself. I've LOST IT!

Really? you can't find a job? why dont u try working in the restaurant industry, they are always hiring

Haha tried that. It's a college town, those jobs are TAKEN. I have a tons (I mean tons) of friends who are in the same boat as me. I'm really not lazy or anything, I HAVE been searching, not just looking, I mean searching. It's awful.

Don't know about your area, yet many accross the country are struggling to find employment and it is only going to get worse in the long run. This is not to make you feel down but to help you understand that you need to stand out when applying for available jobs. Times are getting tough and unemployment is on the rise.

The 7.50 job is really your gas money only 45 min away? I don't buy that with the cheap gas prices. It's less money yet is better than nothing. You can always be looking for another job while supplementing your income.

No need to sell your body as a sub-class portfolio unless you allow. Would you feel worse about yourself driving 45 mins for a job over posing your non-nude body for the camera? It is all perception. Do what is best for you to pay the bills right now but be mindful of the long term effects.

With the car I drive? Pretty much. The times are perfect for going through traffic the WHOLE WAY THERE. I would have to take the interstate, there's no other way to get there. So by the end of the time, it might be more than a gas tank in my gas guzzling SUV to get there and back. So the 255 I would be making a week in Nashville, it would be 150 for gas a week. I don't know about you, but I rather keep searching around town for that kind of money and actually be able to pay bills and everything than wasting my time at a job that really isn't paying me anything but to drive there and maybe pay one or two of bills when it's all said and done. During day job there, I could've been searching for a job that would actually help me.

And yes, if it helps me actually pay bills and get things done while still being able to work on getting a job, I will do photoshoots. I just can't believe how everything has come down to this. It's so upsetting. I'm not meaning to be crude, I'm just stressed out... like millions of others.

I am not trying to be disrespectful in any fashion. I am just saying that things are going to get worse, in terms of finding a job, than they already are now. We are headed for a serious recession that will last for quite a few years. I know this because I work in Real Estate and have seen the numbers over the last decade. Maybe my best advice for you is to understand and live your life now like things are not going to get better anytime soon. It's not your fault, it's simply reality. You must adapt if you want to survive.

just keep up on the job search, I know where your coming from where I live there is not one job right now. When school gets out they will open up. There is telecommunication jobs online that you take calls on your computer. That is one job for you.

I found that utilizing my small network of connections landed me a part-time job for $7.00 an hour over on campus. You might try something like that--maybe some sort of administrative / art department assistant? Once you get in, you'll then have some people to network with...

- Specialize / emphasize your professional documentation for each applied job.

- Make your cover letter flawless in spelling, grammar, structure, etc.

- Network with your family, friends, and acquaintances and give them all resumes.

- When applying somewhere, always try to contact a person (and not some stupid website). You'll get better results ten-fold.

People have their own little theories about how this economy will evolve. Many people will say that it's going to get worse. Personally, I believe that there is absolutely no way in telling, because if they did know what to expect, this would denote an understanding of the responsible catalysts (which would allow us to fix the issues now).

The most important thing for you to do right now (beside the things mentioned above) is to keep your head up high and remember that this is just a crummy economy. The more you get down on yourself, the more this will be present during potential interviews. If an employer sees this, it will drastically and negatively affect the outcome of your interviews.

One thing that I was thinking on doing and sitll planing on doing (maybe one day) is starting a ebay based business. I noticed there are a lot of wholesalers on there used listed under "wholesale lot" and thinking on trying to do something like that. My plan was to find some inexpensive wholesale lots and buy computer parts from them and then depending on the parts either create my own wholesale package or even sell them individually, making a profit.

I don't understand how people aren't able to get jobs. I was job searching for about 3 weeks and just got an offer this past thursday and the job pays decent.. 15.38/hr. Have you checked out craigslist or careerbuilder or monster. There are tons of jobs on there. Make a resume and e-mail, e-mail, e-mail.

I don't understand how people aren't able to get jobs. I was job searching for about 3 weeks and just got an offer this past thursday and the job pays decent.. 15.38/hr. Have you checked out craigslist or careerbuilder or monster. There are tons of jobs on there. Make a resume and e-mail, e-mail, e-mail.

What field ? Doing what ? Not all people are suitable for all jobs Just because you are finding it easy does not mean everyone else would be. That would be a generalization. I agree that applying is the best way to get a job. I have heard that employers often like it if you are motivated enough to apply in person.

Well, when you are in college... but do not have a degree of any sort... it does not help getting a job. Also the jobs that you can get, are filled (at least here). I live in a SMALL college town with a HUGE college. We have so many students it not even funny. Our town is growing, but slowly... and with all the students taking 1 to 2 jobs who are further along than the rest of us get the better ones while the younger students get all the retail, serving, etc. jobs. I am not the only person, Amanda1266, that can't get a job. I've emailed, I've put in resumes and application, over the internet, in person. Most of them SAY they are hiring in March, but most of the time that's just for them to build up more applications.

I know at some point I have to get a job, something will work out. It's just frustrating. Thanks for all your advice and it really helped me out during this hard time. I can only pray that things start to look up.

Good news, I got a babysitting job here that is only 10 minutes away! I won't be getting much, but I also won't be spending much on my gas. She only needs me for 3 months so during the next 3 months, I'll keep searching!

Sadly, if there is absolutely nothing in a small town, sometimes you have to move to find a decent job, to a bigger city or one with more opportunities.

Or you have to go to school yourself in a career that is always hiring, that makes good money. While in school you can live on student loans and part time jobs, but you have to choose a career where you know you will easily get a job that pays enough to support yourself and pay off your loans.

Sadly, if there is absolutely nothing in a small town, sometimes you have to move to find a decent job, to a bigger city or one with more opportunities.

Or you have to go to school yourself in a career that is always hiring, that makes good money. While in school you can live on student loans and part time jobs, but you have to choose a career where you know you will easily get a job that pays enough to support yourself and pay off your loans.

Well that's exactly what I'm looking for.. a part time job while I'm in school. lol But isn't everyone in a college town?

Oh I see!

Have you considered baby sitting? Sometimes mothers want a college girl who's willing to come in a few times a week to watch the kids, or set up a regular situation where you come a few times a week.

I had a friend who couldn't find a part time job, but saw a sign up in her neighborhood saying someone was looking for a babysitter. You might try newspapers and bulletin boards around town, as many people are looking for someone who'll come in and sit in their house with the kids. Once you get one client, they refer you to other mothers looking for sitters.

It can work out quite well if they have an infant who sleeps a lot... you can even study while the kids nap and get paid for it.

Oh I see!

Have you considered baby sitting? Sometimes mothers want a college girl who's willing to come in a few times a week to watch the kids, or set up a regular situation where you come a few times a week.

I had a friend who couldn't find a part time job, but saw a sign up in her neighborhood saying someone was looking for a babysitter. You might try newspapers and bulletin boards around town, as many people are looking for someone who'll come in and sit in their house with the kids. Once you get one client, they refer you to other mothers looking for sitters.

It can work out quite well if they have an infant who sleeps a lot... you can even study while the kids nap and get paid for it.

It's funny you said that because I here in the past two days I have found out that I'll be babysitting for the next three months. It's not a lot of money but I don't have to go anywhere far so it's saves on gas. Plus it's cash in my pocket.

Good for you! I started babysitting when i was only 12 years old, and earned a lot of money over time when i was a teenager and other kids were whining about their fast food jobs, i was studying and playing with kids.... for a part time job, actually a good one compared to the alternatives!

You can look around to find out the going rate. The person i knew in TX who was doing this looked around and found someone willing to pay $15/hour for it!

If the local mothers learn you are good at it (reliable, the kids like you, etc.), you'd be surprised as some start offering you more money to lure you away from other families.

Good luck! At least it will tide you over til you find something else.

Good for you! I started babysitting when i was only 12 years old, and earned a lot of money over time when i was a teenager and other kids were whining about their fast food jobs, i was studying and playing with kids.... for a part time job, actually a good one compared to the alternatives!

You can look around to find out the going rate. The person i knew in TX who was doing this looked around and found someone willing to pay $15/hour for it!

If the local mothers learn you are good at it (reliable, the kids like you, etc.), you'd be surprised as some start offering you more money to lure you away from other families.

Good luck! At least it will tide you over til you find something else.

I did it a lot when I was younger and after I got my first job, I never thought I'd have to go back to that. I am actually getting a good deal off of it. I am babysitting a nurses' 4 year old. He's adorable. I will average about 2 days per week, not including if I have to pick him up and take him to his pre-school (so I never have to really work days, since he does go to pre-school). I might spend the night or something if she has to do a 24 hour shift. She knows her schedule (she knows exactly when she will work from now until June), so I can get a second job IF I can find one. lol. 150 a week (even if I work one day), I'm actually getting a pretty good deal! lol

• 1 month later...

I live about 45 minutes out of Nashville and commute in 5 days/week. Plus, I run to Clarksville at least once a week if not twice. With a mini-van, I'm only burning $30-$35/week in gas right now (was $60 back when gas was $4/gallon). If you are commuting in from Murfreesboro, you'd actually have less of a drive than I have. What the heck are you driving that would burn $150/week for that little run? It must be a beast! LOL!

I was living in Clarksville at one time, driving to Franklin to work every day and then up to Hopkinsville every night to go to school. Even then (with same mini-van), I wasn't burning $150/week in gas.

Archived