anyone out there know of a great way to 'detox" from carbs and sugar? I am a complete and total carb addict, with no self control mind you...but after i give in and carb overload, I feel AWFUL!! sluggish and tired and huge. i need help!! but I cant seem to shake my need for a fix! especailly when I'm pmsing or stressed!! It is impossible for me to lose weight, with this addiction!!

Having so self control is no excuse. get some.

Eat more, several times throughout the day so you don't get so hungry. When you're starving is when you'll crave sugar and carbs and binge on them, but the truth is they're empty calories and while they fill you up at the moment, it won't be long before you're hungry again, and eating the same crap.

when you're about to eat all those carbs think about how you will feel afterwards! Eat little and often, combining the things that you love in moderation, with healthier foods. Don't binge! If you want a treat, have a couple squares of chocolate instead of the whole bar for example. When you go shopping, just don't buy loads of crap food, then the temptation won't be there in your cupboard.

when you're about to eat all those carbs think about how you will feel afterwards! Eat little and often, combining the things that you love in moderation, with healthier foods. Don't binge! If you want a treat, have a couple squares of chocolate instead of the whole bar for example. When you go shopping, just don't buy loads of crap food, then the temptation won't be there in your cupboard.

On that note, never go grocery shopping when you're hungry. You'll be more tempted to buy crap food because everything will look delicious.

let me clarify...I dont buy "crap" , and it's not chips, and cookies and candy I crave. It's potatoes (not fries) and pasta, and breads. I dont consider that crap, but it is carb, and it raises my insulin level enough that i crave it, or crave more. White potatoes are the worst, and I dont use butter, and i choose either fat free sour cream, or lioght ranch dressing. but I still desire to have them...and even if I try a piece of fruit, or a salad, or a lean chicken breast, I am still feeling "unsatisfied" because I havent had the carb.

i have a very small breakfast around 7:30 a.m., but I always have protein...turkey sausage, and 1 egg plus 1/4 cup egg beaters. but i usually dont eat then until 1 or 2-usually a salad, or soup. sometimes salsa and baked corn chips......by 3, I am ready to gnaw off my own arm, and even if i have an apple or a small bag of nuts, i still feel "hungry." I drink 2- 20 oz bottles of water between 10 and 3 usually, sometimes a diet soda for the sweet flavor. but I still feel unsatisfied until I get bread or potatoes or something!! Maybe it's all in my head!!

well, i would eat pizza all day everyday if i could. not because i love stick of pepperoni or pizza crust, but i love the whole combination with the sauces and stuff. i rarely eat pizza though because of what i'd become if i continued all the time. gotta have self control. and it's better to eat more at the beginning of the middle or the day than to eat less and pig out at night.

you can't NOT eat in order to 'save up' a meal. the body doesn't work that way. people wonder why they put weight on when they do this. your body keeps what it can if you are in starve mode. also, the eat less and enjoy a bigger meal later is the worst way to go.

what is also weird is that I do better when I dont eat at all... seems like whatever food i eat, healthy or not...just makes me want more food. Ugh...

Quite frankly I dont even like 'junk" food. I dont eat potato chips, i have never...seriously...had a twinkie or a hoho. (the thought of that filling makes me gag!) when I eat chocolate, i usually chose the darki kind, and if i were offered berries or pie for dessert, i'd take the berries, but potatoes and pasta and bread...oh gosh. Well, OK...heres to wearing a rubber band around my wrist. wiswh me luck. If you dont hear back from me, I moved to Idaho...

A better balanced diet with several meals a day cuts the cravings. Always have good fat, protein, and a healthy carb EVERY time you eat. Imbalances lead to insulin changes which leads to cravings. Portion control is good too.

Also, keep substitute foods around. When you want a cookie, have carrots and peanut butter or a slice of apple and some unsalted nuts. (notice each has carbs, fat and protein.... fruits and veggies are carbs too...)

The carbs you mentioned don't sound bad at all. You want pasta and bread? Get the whole grain versions. They have fiber and taste just as good, if not better (I feel white bread has no taste, while I like the taste of wheat bread). You need them. All this Atkin's diet craze that started some years ago has people thinking "oh, well then I'll just eat fat and protein... No more carbs! Carbs are bad!" but carbs aren't bad. You mentioned raising your insulin level... That DOES happen and will make you store fat. But excess protein is turned into fat too (it IS. Do some research and you'll see why), and so is, of course, excess fat stored. Anything in excess will do you harm. You need balance. Need I remind you vegetables and fruits are carbs too, but they contain natural vitamins you cannot get from anywhere else, except the inferior artificial pill version you should only be taking "just in case." Do not deprive yourself of them... Others have made some good suggestions (have carrots and pb instead of cookies, etc...).

do you think it would help if I tried to go "no white" ...and gave up white bread, white potatoes, white flour pasta?? Someone told me if i detoxed from them the cravings would stop. and what about popcorn...the light, no butter microwave kind? I like that as a snack at work...seems filling and the fact that it is warm tends to make me feel more staisfied. Or should i not be eating that either??

do you think it would help if I tried to go "no white" ...and gave up white bread, white potatoes, white flour pasta?? Someone told me if i detoxed from them the cravings would stop. and what about popcorn...the light, no butter microwave kind? I like that as a snack at work...seems filling and the fact that it is warm tends to make me feel more staisfied. Or should i not be eating that either??

Popcorn's fine... Eat wheat bread and you shouldn't crave white bread, and so on... I like the wheat alternatives better anyway. You might learn to like them better too.

Archived