Music that helps you...

Pushforward, Getupkid82, and I were discussing how music helped us with dealing with things.

I'm not sure if it's that sometimes songs say things in a way we wish we could. Or if they are just further proof that we aren't all alone in feeling this way. I definitely noticed that I heard meaning in songs that I don't think I ever really "got" until I was going through this process of heartbreak and healing.

So, I thought it might be cool to list some of the artists and songs that have been your soundtrack through your tough time and maybe have helped you deal with some of the pain, loneliness, and anxiety that comes along with all of this:

I'll start...

Cake - "I will survive"

Frightened Rabbit - "Poke" "Keep Yourself Warm" "Good Arms v. Bad Arms"

Otis Redding - "I've been loving you a little to long" "These Arms of Mine"

The Police - So Lonely

Gnarls Barkley - Going On

Weezer - Why Bother

Arcade Fire

What songs are you listening to? Which ones helped you heal, helped you get emotion out?

Maybe we can all discover a new song or artist...new things are always a good first step...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alkaline Trio - This Is Getting Over You

Alkaline Trio - Calling All Skeletons

Alkaline Trio - Enjoy Your Day

Morrissey - I Don't Mind if You Forget Me

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

The Smiths - How Soon is Now

The Smiths - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want

Elliott Smith - Somebody That I Used To Know

Elliott Smith - I Didn't Understand

The Mountain Goats - No Children

Bright Eyes - It's Cool, We Can Still Be Friends

As Cities Burn - The Sickness Of Your Memory

The Used - Bulimic

The Academy Is - Judas Kiss

We Are Scientists - It's A Hit

Alkaline Trio - This Is Getting Over You

Alkaline Trio - Calling All Skeletons

Alkaline Trio - Enjoy Your Day

Morrissey - I Don't Mind if You Forget Me

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

The Smiths - How Soon is Now

The Smiths - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want

Elliott Smith - Somebody That I Used To Know

Elliott Smith - I Didn't Understand

The Mountain Goats - No Children

Bright Eyes - It's Cool, We Can Still Be Friends

As Cities Burn - The Sickness Of Your Memory

The Used - Bulimic

The Academy Is - Judas Kiss

We Are Scientists - It's A Hit

I've got some Alkaline Trio on my iPod playlist as well..."Clavicle" always reminds me of her...

A bunch of Get Up Kids songs on there as well

i have a feeling my list is definitely the most corny girl's list ever

Destny's child-Survivor, Independent woman

Beyonce-Single ladies

Christina Aguilera-Fighter

Aretha Franklin-Respect

Also listening to classical music particularly before sleep was really relaxing, made me feel free in some way...

These are all happy, catchy and upbeat songs.

Brokencyde - Hofosho

Breathe Carolina - The Birds And The Bees

Hit The Lights - Drop The Girl

Forever The Sickest Kids - She's A Lady

Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure (inspiring lyrics)

Madina Lake - True Love

Scenic Attraction - Last Time I Spell Disaster...

If anyone feels like giving those a try, I can send them via MSN!

i have a feeling my list is definitely the most corny girl's list ever

Destny's child-Survivor, Independent woman

Beyonce-Single ladies

Christina Aguilera-Fighter

Aretha Franklin-Respect

Also listening to classical music particularly before sleep was really relaxing, made me feel free in some way...

Who cares? It's whatever works for you. I've been enjoying "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West even though that's not my usual music taste...

These are all happy, catchy and upbeat songs.

Brokencyde - Hofosho

Breathe Carolina - The Birds And The Bees

Hit The Lights - Drop The Girl

Forever The Sickest Kids - She's A Lady

Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure (inspiring lyrics)

Madina Lake - True Love

Scenic Attraction - Last Time I Spell Disaster...

If anyone feels like giving those a try, I can send them via MSN!

For upbeat I liked "Feeling Good" by Nina Simone, Somethings Change by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings...and also You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb by Spoon

the get up kids- holiday

angels and airwaves- it hurts

any dashboard confessional

the postal service- nothing better

excellent thread.

I had to stop with the Dashboard Confessional - it's just too much

Holiday...Mass Pike...I'll Catch You...The Most Depressing Song ... all Get Up Kids that I've been listening to

I had to stop with the Dashboard Confessional - it's just too much

Holiday...Mass Pike...I'll Catch You...The Most Depressing Song ... all Get Up Kids that I've been listening to

yeah dashboard is too much haha. the get up kids are perfect. i sat in on new years listening to 'i'll catch you' looking at photos of my ex and i and crying my eyes out. it's pathetic i know.

finch- letters to you

we are scientists- ghouls

blink 182- i'm lost without you

foo fighters- everlong and walking after you

yeah dashboard is too much haha. the get up kids are perfect. i sat in on new years listening to 'i'll catch you' looking at photos of my ex and i and crying my eyes out. it's pathetic i know.

finch- letters to you

we are scientists- ghouls

blink 182- i'm lost without you

foo fighters- everlong and walking after you

Walking After You for sure...especially the acoustic version which I think is from the X-Files movie soundtrack....

I did the same thing, not New Years...I listened to the song that we both agreed would be our wedding song "Here I Am" by Al Green - it was definitely "our" song...i still cry when I hear that one...

The other one is I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab...that song always made me think of her when we were together...and still does now...

Walking After You for sure...especially the acoustic version which I think is from the X-Files movie soundtrack....

I did the same thing, not New Years...I listened to the song that we both agreed would be our wedding song "Here I Am" by Al Green - it was definitely "our" song...i still cry when I hear that one...

The other one is I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab...that song always made me think of her when we were together...and still does now...

you're killing me man haha. death cab was our fave bands and we got tickets to go see them in november. we split in october but still went together. it killed me. especially when they played 'photobooth' which is one of our fave songs. it was so hard. yeah 'walking after you' is from the x files movie. dude it's a pity you don't live in northern ireland, we have the same taste in music. could start a band haha

you're killing me man haha. death cab was our fave bands and we got tickets to go see them in november. we split in october but still went together. it killed me. especially when they played 'photobooth' which is one of our fave songs. it was so hard. yeah 'walking after you' is from the x files movie. dude it's a pity you don't live in northern ireland, we have the same taste in music. could start a band haha

It's definitely a little strange that we seem to have almost identical tastes...I have to get home from work before I check out the Postal Service and We Are Scientists...

Is the postal service the band where they made their song by sending tracks back and forth through mail...it's like two guys from other fairly popular bands?

It's definitely a little strange that we seem to have almost identical tastes...I have to get home from work before I check out the Postal Service and We Are Scientists...

Is the postal service the band where they made their song by sending tracks back and forth through mail...it's like two guys from other fairly popular bands?

yeah it's ben gibbard from death cab and someone else, can't remember. they only had one album but it's really good. check it out.

Also, I love a lot of the Muse breakup songs. They are so overly dramatic but it's really what I need at the time.

GetUpKid, you like "we are scientists" too?

oh yeah haha. i used to work in a music shop (the one i've just been made redundant from) so my pay each month went on cds and dvds haha. the smiths are awesome. you should check out 'the cribs'. johnny marr from the smiths plays with them now. check out they're myspace.

'mens needs' awesome song

After my divorce I ran this playlist for a while :

If I Can't Change Your Mind - Sugar

Things Go Wrong - Chris Isaak

Eloise - The Damned

Longer Than I Thought - Dave Alvin

Love Is Noise - The Verve

If It Be Your Will - Leonard Cohen

Don't Want to Know If You Are Lonely - Hüsker Dü

Guess I'm Doing Fine - Beck

If You See Her, Say Hello - Bob Dylan

1000 Memories - Bad Religion

Mess - Ben Folds Five

Tonight Will Be Fine - Teddy Thompson

Man I spent more than a few nights on my back patio strumming Tonight Will Be Fine on my old beat up Gibson. Great lyrics in that one.

I remember that after the breakup...I couldn't listen to "The Postal Service".

"Nothing better" and "Such Great Heights" were our songs.

When we got back together, he told me that he couldn't listen to them either. That it made him physically sick.

There for a while, certain songs made me physically ill as well.

I mean, I was physically ill for a good 3 months after she left almost all the time, but certain songs conjure that emotional place and the physical effects come with it.

Archived