Question for teachers: help!

I am studying to be a high school teacher, and this year is the time where my teaching placements start. My first one commences in March, and then I'll be doing them all throughout the year. I'll be placed in various high schools accross the city and expected to teach at least 2 classes a day (with a supervisor) and observe at least 2 classes a day - AND I AM SO SCARED!

This is possibly the most frightening thing I have ever done in my life. I have never faced a class full of 25-odd teenagers on my own before, I have never planned a class, disciplined a student, or anything like this! I know I have to start somewhere but I'm just so afraid that I'm not going to be able to do it. Plus I'm not sure how deep they're going to throw me. Do they usually help you plan classes or at least tell you what subject matter to cover? I need advice because I have no idea where to start! But I really need to somehow tackle this very scary but necessary experience.

What subject are you going to teach?

Dont show your fear -- students can smell it a mile away. Just exude confidence, even though you may not feel it at first.

Also, read some books about pedagogical strategy, which should give you some idea as to creating lesson plans, managing a class, dealing with students, etc.

Good luck!

[EDITED TO ADD] Being observed CAN be nerve-wracking BUT try to forget that you are being observed. As a matter of fact, act as if this person is not even in the room, which should help you feel less nervous.

Would you be teaching literature or rhetoric/writing/grammar?

If you are teaching specific sections of an on-going class, will you be assigned what texts to teach?

In any event, those 4 weeks at the uni should prepare you well so dont be too nervous. I am sure you'll do fine!

Learn the kids names ASAP! Nothing worse than a teacher who says, "hey you... in the green...second from the back!"

You have to be firm, kids need structure, but show you care. One of the biggest things is learning their names.

Remember, you are the one to teach them... be confident in who you are and what you know.

don't you have an advisor at your uni that helps you through your placement... or a teacher you are going to be working with?

ouch

been there done that. survived just..

i did art and film/ tv.

what happened was i met the teacher who was supervising me about a week before, and they gave me a rundown of what they would be covering for the weeks ahead, and i planned the lessons. Mostly i was encouraged to work it out for myself, and then askk for help.

when they watch you take a class it really isnt a big deal- usually it makes the kids better behaved....

you can pm me if you want.

I teach in special schools now, as i hated mainstream lol Prac was fine, i did well, but realised normal schools werent really of interest to me.

I'm a teacher and high school students are my favorites! Just get them to like and trust you and the rest will be a piece of cake. These kids are more mature than elementary and middle school kids, so in the area of maturity, they are easier to talk to. Have fun! These kids are the best. You will have lesson plans to follow at first and then, when you are more confident, you will devise your own. Relax. Not a whole lot to it.

Would you be teaching literature or rhetoric/writing/grammar?

If you are teaching specific sections of an on-going class, will you be assigned what texts to teach?

In any event, those 4 weeks at the uni should prepare you well so dont be too nervous. I am sure you'll do fine!

That's the thing - I have no idea what aspect of English I will be teaching. I've studied both literature and rhetoric/writing at university (and both of these subjects are usually combined into the one 'English' class in Australia) so I'm not sure what the class will be studying at the point of time of my placement!

I also have no idea if I'll be assigned text to teach, or how it will work... I guess this is why I am so damn worried.

Hopefully when my placement is confirmed the teacher I am allocated to will give me a run-down... hopefully. This is so scary!

Learn the kids names ASAP! Nothing worse than a teacher who says, "hey you... in the green...second from the back!"

You have to be firm, kids need structure, but show you care. One of the biggest things is learning their names.

Remember, you are the one to teach them... be confident in who you are and what you know.

don't you have an advisor at your uni that helps you through your placement... or a teacher you are going to be working with?

Unfortunately learning kids names might be a little difficult. Most high schools in my city are quite large and I'll be teaching many different classes, so encountering up to 100 different kids a week... and then in 3 weeks moving to a different school!

I will have a teacher who will be allocated as my supervisor. But I don't get to meet them until the first day of my placement.

Thanks for the advice also Ugh so stressful.

Remember you are an authority figure so don't be too friendly and lenient with kids because they will walk all over you. you want them to respect you and when you are talking, they should be conditioned to be quiet and listen to you. too bad corporal punishment is not allowed these days. but in order to gain their respect you have to give respect too by showing you give two * * * * s and learn their names and have good rapport with their parents.

Also learn to give public speaking if you are the shy type. you want them to be in spell bound when you talk so to gain their attention. you break the ice by sharing with them something about yourself. it should be a personal experience as well so kids will open up.

show that you arenn't just there to just teach and collect the paycheck and adios! You are part of the community and the representative of your town. don't have office romance and please pretty please don't sleep with none of your students because sooner or later they'll get you.

good luck

I just got through my first teaching placement last semester! It's quite the experience, and really, it's a lot of fun. The mentor teachers are usually pretty good about not putting too much pressure on you, because they understand that this is new to you and that you are there to learn. They want you to succeed and can be an awful lot of help! I was in a school with other student teachers, so we would all get together and just talk about stuff. The kids are the easiest part, actually. If you are personable (but firm), animated, and have interesting classes, then you'll be fine. Just remember that you're there to learn (so don't be too hard on yourself) and have fun!

I got landed in the deep end where I work! I turned up to help a lecturer who was struggling, it appeared a bti later he had made a huge mess of things, and I ended up fixing everything and now I am completely running an entire course!

The best thnig to do is fake confidence and keep some discipline and be organised!

Which is something I am not as I am writing an entire course and constantly playnig catch up, i have no time for lesson plans etc at the moment as i am still actually writing lessons for the course! aargh! and now i am developing a level 3 course as progression!

Oh and I have just started on my PGCE-H official training...i have had plenty of experience with classes before (of all ages from babies, toddlers, primary) but now i am actally doing the academic teaching qual as well...so id ont have much of a social life!!

and teaching students aged 16+ soemthing i hadn't done before...so if teaching is for you, you will find a way to do it...as I have done...and be aware what works with one group wont with with the next, you need to adapt your style some you can be more friendly and relaxed others you need to be more disciplined and in control, you'll figure out!

Good luck and if its for you, you will really enjoy it!

I just got through my first teaching placement last semester! It's quite the experience, and really, it's a lot of fun. The mentor teachers are usually pretty good about not putting too much pressure on you, because they understand that this is new to you and that you are there to learn. They want you to succeed and can be an awful lot of help! I was in a school with other student teachers, so we would all get together and just talk about stuff. The kids are the easiest part, actually. If you are personable (but firm), animated, and have interesting classes, then you'll be fine. Just remember that you're there to learn (so don't be too hard on yourself) and have fun!

Thanks for this advice, that's just it - I'm there to learn to be a teacher, not to get everything right first go.

Feeling a little more confident. Hope I go okay!

I stress being friendly and approachable with students until they give me a reason not to. I'm the kind of teacher the kids come to after school and during lunch and talk to. I love kids and can talk to them about anything! When a need for discipline comes up, and it does, I can be as stern as the next person, but that is not my calling card. Most discipline problems come from kids who just want someone to listen to them.

I stress being friendly and approachable with students until they give me a reason not to. I'm the kind of teacher the kids come to after school and during lunch and talk to. I love kids and can talk to them about anything! When a need for discipline comes up, and it does, I can be as stern as the next person, but that is not my calling card. Most discipline problems come from kids who just want someone to listen to them.

I totally agree... I actually loved the bad kids. I love talking to them. I remember one kid taught was such a little poo disturber, I loved him and he was quite funny and i remember after he graduated, I saw him in the supermarket and he literally sprinted down the isles knocking things off the shelf to come to talk to me. sometimes I'd be out running / walking and he'd drive past and I'd hear this "Helllooooo Ms. shikashika!"

Aww I miss them..

I'm this way too... they're so interesting! I'll be a high school teacher when I graduate, but I teach 5-8 yr olds flute. Even 6 year olds are a lot more grown-up than you'd think. They know an awful lot about the world if you talk to them.

Archived